Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Philly Cheesesteak? Geno's or Pat's?

zoony

Well I took the Pepsi challenge today... braved 40 degree temps and gusty winds for two cheesesteaks.

Stopped at Pat's... got a provolone with. Then I went across the street to Geno's and ordered the same thing. (o.k. I admit, I was too full to eat it right away... had to wait two hours. :D )

Have to say, Pat's is better. :) I thought Geno's was too clean, and the help was too nice. :laugh: But seriously I thought Pat's tasted better.

For those of you who've gotten a cheesesteak in Philly, which do you prefer? (If other, please list, as I am here often and I'd like to try all the spots)

PM me it's easier. 95 S to 476 N to 76 W, to 422 W, to 29 N. It's in a town called Schwenksville, Let me know when your up, I'll meet you for a beer.

Cool... I'm at the Airport now if you have a wild hair I'll be drinking at the Renaissance Hotel bar. But I have a semi-early flight tomorrow... so I won't be going crazy :).

Thanks for the tip I'll let you know ahead of time next time I'm up... should be Feb or maybe Jan.

The local radio show hosts went for the Dallas Philly game. They ate at Pats and thought it completely sucked. Bland tasting and felt like a brick in the stomach.

No waaaay.

I'm the first person to call something out for sucking... reputation be damned.

This was good. Sure, some of the locals might say it is over-rated... but definitely better than anything you can get outside of the area and especially Dallas. ;)

I voted for other - i prefer Jim's on South St.

Go to Atlantic City- The White House Sub Shop.

For that matter - anywhere in South Jersey they serve AC soft rolls. Philly Cheesesteaks are a joke after you had one from there.

Not crazy about their cheesteaks (good, but not great) but they do have the best italian sub in the world. plus, a lot of cool pictures of celebs like the Beatles and Sinatra eating there

• 2 weeks later...

So I might be going up to Philly this weekend with a visiting friend who wants to try a "Philly Cheesesteak" - I guess to say she's tried it (she's a midwestern small-town gal, she also had to have a hot dog from a hot dog stand in NYC).

Anyway, it seems that this Pat's and this Geno's (pardon my Philly ignorance) are the traditional heavyweights in the debate of what Philly Cheesesteak is best, but that it's similar to NYC pizza in that there are numerous places that give a good cheesesteak and which is best is largely based on personal preference rather than being in very high agreement amongst patrons. Is that right?

Basically... where should I take her? Need some insider local info. Is what I said above true?

*btw, this "Leo's" sounds good: http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/cheesesteaks/pa.htm

I went to school in philly for four years. IMO, the best cheesesteaks come from the Delassandro's in Roxborough. It's over by the Manyunk area.

Pat's & Geno's are both over rated. The only reason they are the big one's is they are in south philly (by south street) & are open 24 hours. The only time I would eat there is 3 or 4am when nothing else is open and I was hammered.

EDIT: Scroll down on the above Link to Leo's and they have Dalessandro's listed too

I'm sure most of you who live in Philly think Pats/Genos is over-rated... but as an outsider let me tell you that is a helluva good sandwich.

I'm sure if you came down to TN and ate at one of the large BBQ restaurants you would think it was great, but I would tell you it is over-rated.

SkinsNumberOne... I would definitely try Pats/Genos. I don't care what anyone says it is a dam good sandwich, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) that is where the whole cheesesteak thing started. Plus it is in a cool neighborhood, etc.... sure it is touristy to go there but screw it, I thought it was cool. :)

Yeah, I lived in Philly for 9 years (of course, it was up until I was 9, but still), and my dad lived there for a whole hell of alot longer than that, and we both think Pat's is the place to go. I mean, you can't go wrong with Geno's, or anywhere else for that matter, really, but Pat's is glorious.

Jim's is the popular "neither" choice.

I like the cut of the meat better at Geno's, but Pat's cheese fries and cherry soda are better, and I sometimes think they're more generous with the wiz, so I usually go to Pat's. You're not going to get a bad steak either way.

Oh, the 3 a.m. Pat's runs...I miss college

between the two, it's pat's imo.

jim's has a great pcs... i didn't live too far from there. i also like the pcs at pine st pizza at the corner of 12th and pine (literally 1/2 block from my apt... that's where i usually went for that reason alone).

Archived