Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"

jrockster21

Anybody read this book? I've always enjoyed Crichton for a quick, entertaining read.

I just finished 'State of Fear,' and was pretty disappointed with it. Most of his other books are way better than this one.

I mostly wanted to start this thread because of what he says about global warming in the book. I searched, and found this global warming thread but nothing specifically on Crichton's book. Anyway, the book is obviously fiction, but he makes some pretty strong claims in it. And in his "author's note" at the end of the book, its pretty clear that he does not believe in global warming.

Thoughts, critiques, etc.???

Have not read it, but I own it. Simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW - There is nothing lowbrow about reading for enjoyment. Especially in todays society where I get the impression most haven't read a book other then the bible unless they were forced to do so.

Agreed. I always enjoy Crichton but this book was just.... boring.

There was one good chapter though... the ramblings of the crazy professor which gave the book its title. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Great Train Robbery is still my fav from him.

Agreed. I always enjoy Crichton but this book was just.... boring.

There was one good chapter though... the ramblings of the crazy professor which gave the book its title. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Great Train Robbery is still my fav from him.

Yeah, I guess boring would be a good way to describe it. It just never hooked me in like his other books do.

Jurassic Park is far and away my favorite book by Crichton...

I've been pretty disappointed with his last couple books. I still think "Travels", his mid-life autobiography, is his best book -- the guy has done some crazy things.

Travels is certainly his best book. State of fear is fluff but it’s hard to argue with his charts and research. The most telling is the average global temp since accurate records of global temp have been documented. His theory on the temperature effects of dense populations certainly seem valid.

It's hard to argue that the global warming alarmists have not gone a bit overboard.

Travels is certainly his best book. State of fear is fluff but it’s hard to argue with his charts and research. The most telling is the average global temp since accurate records of global temp have been documented. His theory on the temperature effects of dense populations certainly seem valid.

It's hard to argue that the global warming alarmists have not gone a bit overboard.

Nice...this is the kind of reply I wanted when I started this thread!! :cheers:

guys...the author freely admitted that his research for this book was entirely based on Internet "facts"....there is nothing scientifically valid written in this entire book. Read for enjoyment only!!!

You're right, nothing on the internet is true or based on research done in the 'real world.' No scientific organization or individual scientist ever puts their information on the net nor does any historian or sociologist.

Crichton was not a man of science (definitely not a doctor) before beginning his writing career and clearly doesn't have any background in science from which to speak on science-related topics.

:rolleyes:

Archived