Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

playin "not to lose"

moondog

sometimes it seems as if gibbs likes close games and is almost playing "not to lose" i realize that thats not a completely true statement but he's even said before something along the lines of we play to keep it close at the end and win those close games...

are we really playing "not to lose" instead of having a put it away quick mentality like the 49er's game??? :(

The playcalling during the 49rs game was actually relatively conservative to a real balls out offensive blitz. It just so happened that everything seemed to work every time they tried. They'd play for a down and end up in a position to score, so they'd score. I think Gibbs or someone even mentioned that - they didn't intend to drive the score up, they just kept scoring. It happens :P

sometimes it seems as if gibbs likes close games and is almost playing "not to lose" i realize that thats not a completely true statement but he's even said before something along the lines of we play to keep it close at the end and win those close games...

are we really playing "not to lose" instead of having a put it away quick mentality like the 49er's game??? :(

This is the biggest problem I have had with Gibbs. Last year we lost to Dallas and Cincy all because we played "not to lose" and now this season, we lost to Tampa Bay.

When you need 2 yards to win the game, run your best play for that situation!

Isn't this the 3RD thread on this subject? Once and for all, YES YES YES Gibbs plays conservative and to NOT LOSE.

Thats why he runs the ball even with 2 minutes left needing yardageon 3rd down. Gibbs is use to having an all pro defense with Dave Butz, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Dexter Manley, etc.

He doesn't have that and he doesn't yet realize that he does NOT have a defense that can win games and make that final stop. Therefore, the Redskins are NOT in first place and ONCE AGAIN...like most other years, the Cowboys get the upper hand.

Someday the Redskins might...MIGHT start drafting defensive line. Then things can change.

Well, maybe we'd all be happier if we went back to Spurrier's "damn the protection, run 5 deep and sling it out there" mentality, eh? The improvements we've seen over the last two years have come incrementally, some by personnel changes but even more by the coaching staff doing what they're supposed to do, teaching the players how to play in this system. You don't go shingling the roof before the foundation's dry......

2 yards to win? if your line can't block for 2 yards to win then what are talkin playoffs here for.it's been a topic of discussion here many times. the lines inability to get the tough yards when they need it wether it be red zone or first down or running out the clock.maybe it's all part of learning how to win is learning how to close out a win.it is frustrating but it's NOT Gibbs fault, he calls the play the players work it.and on sunday they failed to work it.

This is the biggest problem I have had with Gibbs. Last year we lost to Dallas and Cincy all because we played "not to lose" and now this season, we lost to Tampa Bay.

When you need 2 yards to win the game, run your best play for that situation!

that quote there on the bottom should end this discussion forever because it says it all.

2 yards would have won the game, run your best play, run the same play you would run if it was 4th and 2, down by 7, and driving to tie the game.

everyone that is saying that running play was the absolute right call are just being Gibbs loyalist and would walk through fire for him.

I love the guy too but it was a bad call, you don't give the ball back to your opponent when the game is a shootout. The clock was stopping for the 2 minute warning after the play anway. It was a bad call and guarantee you Gibbs is kicking himself for it now.

Everyone that is saying we would be ****ing if we passed and the pass was incomplete are completely wrong. All I wanted to see was the best play run and even if the pass was incomplete, the difference in the clock was not enough to effect your play calling.

I'm done with that game, it was a bad play call, everyone will admit that at some point, lets move on beat the Raiders and get back in the hunt.

2 yards to win? if your line can't block for 2 yards to win then what are talkin playoffs here for.it's been a topic of discussion here many times. the lines inability to get the tough yards when they need it wether it be red zone or first down or running out the clock.maybe it's all part of learning how to win is learning how to close out a win.it is frustrating but it's NOT Gibbs fault, he calls the play the players work it.and on sunday they failed to work it.

what you just said there has been said alot and I disagree.

I disagree because that play was run right into the defense. The defense was looking for a simple run and they got it, they were ready for it. It's pretty hard to get 2 yards on your most ordinary run play in the whole play book when the defense ready for it.

On 4th and inches running backs usually get a yard if anything, because the defense is stacked up, 8 men in the box. The play we ran would have been great for 3rd and inches, but not 3rd and almost 3. It's not the lines fault we didn't get 3 yards on a play that was right into the teeth of the defense.

run your best play, bottom line.

I have tried to steer clear of threads like this and here is way, "coaching not to lose" is the stupidest line in all of sports.

First by the nature of the statement it is implied that you are trying to win.

Second every coach in every sport since the beginning of sporting history has coached not to lose.

It would sound pretty damn stupid if Gibbs said well ran the ball because we were trying to lose the game, wouldn't it. Is Gibbs conservative, yes, does he coach on what gives the team the highest statistical advantage of winning, yes. By know means is he trying to lose a game, so it should be abundantly clear to everybody that Gibbs is coaching not lose, the moment he coaches to lose is the moment he has lost his mind.

Would somebody please explain to me how 35 points against the #1 D is conservative, did he not go for it on fourth and one to go up 35-28. He ran the ball because it forced TB to use all of their timeouts and take the game under 2:00 when TB got the ball back. If Gibbs passes it on third and one and the pass is incomplete TB would've had a play or two before the 2:00 warning, that is not smart football, or it could've been picked off for a TD or did some of us not watch the Monday night game.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I have tried to steer clear of threads like this and here is way, "coaching not to lose" is the stupidest line in all of sports.

First by the nature of the statement it is implied that you are trying to win.

Second every coach in every sport since the beginning of sporting history has coached not to lose.

It would sound pretty damn stupid if Gibbs said well ran the ball because we were trying to lose the game, wouldn't it. Is Gibbs conservative, yes, does he coach on what gives the team the highest statistical advantage of winning, yes. By know means is he trying to lose a game, so it should be abundantly clear to everybody that Gibbs is coaching not lose, the moment he coaches to lose is the moment he has lost his mind.

Would somebody please explain to me how 35 points against the #1 D is conservative, did he not go for it on fourth and one to go up 35-28. He ran the ball because it forced TB to use all of their timeouts and take the game under 2:00 when TB got the ball back. If Gibbs passes it on third and one and the pass is incomplete TB would've had a play or two before the 2:00 warning, that is not smart football, or it could've been picked off for a TD or did some of us not watch the Monday night game.

I would agree with you about Gibbs just wanting the highest statistical chance to win if the run on 3rd down had happened after the 2 minute warning.

If we pass the ball and its incomplete there is 2:25 or so on the clock. If we run and don't get it, 2:00 on the clock. 2:00 is enough time to run a drive even with no timeouts, especially with the field position. Knowing the Bucs were going to have good field position, that extra 25 seconds really wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

We had to stop them on downs, the clock wasn't going to run out anyway.

Statistical I think the best play would have been whatever play is the absolute best play for picking up 2 or 3 yards with you absolutely need it. I think we can all agree that run play was not the same play we would have run if it was 4th and 2 and needed a first down to keep a drive alive.

2 yards ends the game no question about it. If you throw an incomplete pass, you are only giving the Bucs 1 or 2 extra plays in a situation where you are going to have to stop them on downs anyway. I think its clear that statistically we did not give ourselves the best chance to win.

I would agree with you about Gibbs just wanting the highest statistical chance to win if the run on 3rd down had happened after the 2 minute warning.

If we pass the ball and its incomplete there is 2:25 or so on the clock. If we run and don't get it, 2:00 on the clock. 2:00 is enough time to run a drive even with no timeouts, especially with the field position. Knowing the Bucs were going to have good field position, that extra 25 seconds really wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

We had to stop them on downs, the clock wasn't going to run out anyway.

Statistical I think the best play would have been whatever play is the absolute best play for picking up 2 or 3 yards with you absolutely need it. I think we can all agree that run play was not the same play we would have run if it was 4th and 2 and needed a first down to keep a drive alive.

2 yards ends the game no question about it. If you throw an incomplete pass, you are only giving the Bucs 1 or 2 extra plays in a situation where you are going to have to stop them on downs anyway. I think its clear that statistically we did not give ourselves the best chance to win.

Did you watch the Monday night game, did you watch the Sea.-Dallass game earlier this year? Gibbs did the right thing, you always keep the clock running when you have the lead late in the fourth quarter. If it was fourth and 2 and we were behind you're right we would pass, we would need to score and we wouldn't have time to run the ball, the whole "if it was fourth and 2 and we needed to win" is ridiculous because it's two totally different scenarios.

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

Did you watch the Monday night game, did you watch the Sea.-Dallass game earlier this year? Gibbs did the right thing, you always keep the clock running when you have the lead late in the fourth quarter. If it was fourth and 2 and we were behind you're right we would pass, we would need to score and we wouldn't have time to run the ball, the whole "if it was fourth and 2 and we needed to win" is ridiculous because it's two totally different scenarios.

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

You talk about my 4th and 2 analogy being ridiculous because its different scenariors but so are your examples of passing the ball turning out horrible.

It was 3rd and 2 or 3, I think closer to 3. It wasn't 3rd and 10 or 7 or whatever, there are ton a plays in the play book that are safe pass plays to pick up 3 yards.

People wanna talk about, "well if you can't run for 2 yards, you don't deserve to win anyway." Well you know what, if you are scared to run a 3 yard pass play because your worried about it being picked off then you won't win because you are playing scared. I'd like to think we have more confidence than that, it was 3rd and 2/3, not 3rd and 15, we didn't need a deep dangerous pass.

The Dallas Seattle game was tied, Dallas was trying to move down the field to win the game. That is so much different, the clock was running out on them, Bledsoe was trying to pick up big yards to get in field goal range. Again, he was trying to pick up big yards, not trying to pick up a 3rd and 2 to win the game.

The Monday Night Game was just stupid, they should have been running the ball, but that pass that Roy Williams picked off was nothing like the type of pass we would or should have run, thats not comparable at all to the situation we were in. That pass McNabb threw was across the field for around 10 yards, again thats not the type of dangerous play we would have run if we ran a pass.

You talk about my 4th and 2 analogy being ridiculous because its different scenariors but so are your examples of passing the ball turning out horrible.

It was 3rd and 2 or 3, I think closer to 3. It wasn't 3rd and 10 or 7 or whatever, there are ton a plays in the play book that are safe pass plays to pick up 3 yards.

People wanna talk about, "well if you can't run for 2 yards, you don't deserve to win anyway." Well you know what, if you are scared to run a 3 yard pass play because your worried about it being picked off then you won't win because you are playing scared. I'd like to think we have more confidence than that, it was 3rd and 2/3, not 3rd and 15, we didn't need a deep dangerous pass.

The Dallas Seattle game was tied, Dallas was trying to move down the field to win the game. That is so much different, the clock was running out on them, Bledsoe was trying to pick up big yards to get in field goal range. Again, he was trying to pick up big yards, not trying to pick up a 3rd and 2 to win the game.

The Monday Night Game was just stupid, they should have been running the ball, but that pass that Roy Williams picked off was nothing like the type of pass we would or should have run, thats not comparable at all to the situation we were in. That pass McNabb threw was across the field for around 10 yards, again thats not the type of dangerous play we would have run if we ran a pass.

Exactly Dallass could've won in OT, instead they lost and you admit the Monday night game was stupid. Oh yeah there is an INT option every time you throw the ball what if MB gets hit on a "safe pass" and the ball goes to a LB then what, I know Gibbs is crazy, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Any who answer this question what sounds better to you.

TB with the ball 1:55 and no TO at their 40 or

TB with the ball 2:30 1 TO and a 2:00 stoppage at their 40

I'll give you hint of what you should choose one coach is in the HOF with a great winning % and a few Super Bowl rings. The other coach is coaching at South Carolina and is considered one of the biggest coaching busts of all time. Anyway Dcoles great chatting with you but you have to be smart during the end of a game not daring, in the long run there is a big difference.

Exactly Dallass could've won in OT, instead they lost and you admit the Monday night game was stupid. Oh yeah there is an INT option every time you throw the ball what if MB gets hit on a "safe pass" and the ball goes to a LB then what, I know Gibbs is crazy, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Any who answer this question what sounds better to you.

TB with the ball 1:55 and no TO at their 40 or

TB with the ball 2:30 1 TO and a 2:00 stoppage at their 40

I'll give you hint of what you should choose one coach is in the HOF with a great winning % and a few Super Bowl rings. The other coach is coaching at South Carolina and is considered one of the biggest coaching busts of all time. Anyway Dcoles great chatting with you but you have to be smart during the end of a game not daring, in the long run there is a big difference.

Your the 2nd person i've talked to about this subject that has the timeout situation wrong.

The Bucs were out of timeouts after the 2nd down play. Everyone knows running the ball on 1st and 2nd down was the right play. But like I said TB was out of timeouts after 2nd down. So no TB would not have had a timeout and 2:30 on the clock, no timeouts whether we ran the ball or passed the ball on 3rd down.

It was shootout, we couldn't stop them on offense to save ourlives and we handed the ball right back to them. I realize we had just stopped them on the series before but hell to me that probably says damn their due to get us this time. Lets face it, they owned us on D just as much as we owned them.

You have to realize they were out of timeouts, we didn't make them burn a timeout on the 3rd down run, alot of people think that, go back and check the game log. I think alot of people are justifying that run playing thinking that it did make TB burn their last timeout, they were out of timeouts after 2nd down.

We ran a play that was highly unlikely to succeed in order to take 25 seconds off the clock. Anyone who watched the game knows that 2:00 was plenty of time for TB to score on us.

I'm sorry but it was bad call and if we are going to start letting the fear of an INT stop us from running a pass on 3rd and 2 we are big trouble.

I mean hell with everyone freaked out about the potential of an INT i'm surprised you weren't scared Portis would fumble. Maybe we should have just did a QB kneel down, it would have been as effective as that run call straight up the gut.

a nice little play action short pass to cooley or sellers like weve been doin all year woulda been nice and i cant honestly say i saw a bad call by gibbs in that game...but as everyone said he is conservative which is the better term and not coaching not to lose

its just sad because i honestly believe we are a couple plays and maybe one good starting cornerback (cough in front of harris cough) away from a superbowl and for some reason, and ill take the blame for it in this thread, a lot of fans are looking at every possible reason to blame on us not bein there yet

Archived