Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best movie sequils?

Larry

Just read the first part of the Saw 2 thread, below. The "reviewer" liked it better than #1.

Thought I'd give people a chance to let off some political steam with a less confrontational thread.

Anybody want to nominate a movie that was better than the first one?

My Nominees:

From Russia With Love

The Empire Strikes Back

Aliens

Rocky 3

Happy Gilmore 2

Bad Boys 2

Drunken Master 2...maybe

Ok so there isn't a Happy Gilmore 2, BUT THERE SHOULD BE!!!

Dang it, that's what The Water Boy was suppose to be, but the Water Boy sucked!

And T2 is not better than T1, go watch them both again. I just did about 3 weeks ago.

Major League 2

I TOTALLY agree with you! I seriously LOVE that movie.

:yikes: :wtf: :insane:

Dude, you are OUT OF YOUR MIND. None of the ML sequels come anywhere CLOSE to the original!!

He's on the ball. I didn't even really like the first one. Major League 2 is great...corny, great actors (not the actING, but the actors)... I seriously watched it 3 times in a row once. Nothing about it not to like. Omar Epps :D:D:D

I'm always amazed at the fact that whenever people discuss this topic so many people are quick to list <i>Aliens</i>. I love <i>Aliens</i> and think it's an excellent sequel, but it's nothing compared to <i>Alien</i>. While <i>Aliens</i> is a really great action movie, <i>Alien</i> is a movie that really explores bizzare sexuality in an interesting way. Also, not to mention the novelty at the time of having a heroine in that type of movie. I loved the way they did it too. She was a hero, but it wasn't like she just a butch woman following the rules for a man in these types of movies. She maintained her femininity, by allowing her to be nurturing. Something that was continued throughout the Alien series. So, you get it, I like <i>Alien</i>

It's actually really very rare that I like the sequel better than the original, and usually when I do it's because the original wasn't that great to begin with(Spiderman 2, Before Sunset) There is one major exception where the sequels bested a certifiably great movie.

ROTJ>Empire>Star Wars.

There's alot of examples where I think the Sequels are still good and worthwhile, but they didn't best the original. I already mention Aliens. <i>The Last Crusade</i> didn't come anywhere close to <i>Raiders of the Lost Ark</i>, but I think that it was worthwhile.

For shame - i can't believe this thread has gotten this far with nobody envoking the holy trilogy.

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

and of course there was also:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Return of the Jedi Does not belong on that list. :doh: There is no way in Hell that is better than A New Hope, simply for the fact that there were Ewoks in it. :2cents:

My favorite sequals are:

Empire Strikes Back

Lethal Weapon 2

Aliens

Terminator 2

and Toy Story 2

Return of the Jedi Does not belong on that list. :doh: There is no way in Hell that is better than A New Hope, simply for the fact that there were Ewoks in it. :2cents:

Never said Return was better, just a great sequel. A New Hope was the best of all six of the Star Wars movies.

The common order for Star Wars fans is

Empire

A New Hope

Jedi.

I think the reason for this is that Star Wars fans have this strange desire to pretend that the Star Wars are extremely serious. It's a part of a bias that movies that take themselves seriously are naturally better. Empire is the easiest Star Wars movie to take seriously, Jedi is the hardest. Empire has the tragic ending, and the big reveal about Darth being lukes father. Jedi has Ewoks.

I think Jedi is a better movie, because when it comes down to it, Star Wars are not serious movies, they are pulp sci-fi. Jedi is the most fun and it does what the Star Wars movies do best, better than the other two. Also, there's alot of great drama especially towards the end between Luke, Vader, and the Emporer.

So, Jedi belongs.

Return of the King. Excellent, excellent movie. And better than the two other great movies preceding it.

I agree with Aliens and Terminator II. Cameron sure does know how to make a good sequel. :)

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is X-Men II. The first one was good, but the second one was great, IMHO.

The common order for Star Wars fans is

Empire

A New Hope

Jedi.

I think the reason for this is that Star Wars fans have this strange desire to pretend that the Star Wars are extremely serious. It's a part of a bias that movies that take themselves seriously are naturally better. Empire is the easiest Star Wars movie to take seriously, Jedi is the hardest. Empire has the tragic ending, and the big reveal about Darth being lukes father. Jedi has Ewoks.

I think Jedi is a better movie, because when it comes down to it, Star Wars are not serious movies, they are pulp sci-fi. Jedi is the most fun and it does what the Star Wars movies do best, better than the other two. Also, there's alot of great drama especially towards the end between Luke, Vader, and the Emporer.

So, Jedi belongs.

Interesting points. It does seem to me that a lot of people say ESB is the best because, well, that's what everyone says. :)

My personal favorite was A New Hope. It's the only one that can stand alone, and it's epic. The others are great too, mind you. But the original gets the top slot from me.

Also, I do so get sick of people simply throwing away ROTJ simply because the Ewoks were in it. Yeah, they were silly, but it's not like the movie was The Great Ewok Adventure or something. They were in like a third of the movie. The space battle in that movie was fantastic, and the best to be found anywhere until Episode III came out 22 years later. The Luke/Vader/Emperor struggle was also great stuff. So while the Ewoks may have brought the movie down a little, I wouldn't say they ruined it completely. There's a lot to like about ROTJ. It's still a great movie.

Archived