Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Product/Marketing Question

stevenaa

This is for parents with kids that have learned how to tie shoes. When my oldest hit that age, she struggled at first. I noticed what I felt was causing problems with the learning experience and built an aid to help her. She was tying her shoes in 30 minutes. I used the same aid with my other daugther and she was tying her shoes in 30 minutes. I loaned it to a frriend whose child was struggling and she experienced the same result.

So, my question is, would you have spent 10-15 bucks on a teaching aid if you believed it would work in less then an hour?

Interesting. I'm not sure I would purchase something like that - first of all, I wouldn't even think there would be some device/special trick out there that could help with tying shoes...but that could be remedied with marketing of the product. If one of my kids did have a problem tying shoes, I would probably buy him/her a pair of sneakers with the velcro straps :)

HOWEVER, I can see a market for something like this. Parents don't like when their kid is the only one in class who doesn't know how to do something, or doesn't do it as well as others. I have a neighbor who spent $60 on a book with tips that would have your kid learning to ride a bike in less than an hour. So I could see someone buying something like this....

The thing about this is that it removes all the frustration kids have when trying to learn to do this. Typically at the age their learning this they are not the most coordinated. There are always exceptions, but from my talks with other parents, understaniding how to do it is not the problem, it's the frustration that comes from having to coordinate all the movements. That is what I noticed with my girls.

With my device, they only have to focus on one step at a time.

They are supposed to know how to tie their shoes by Kindegarten, but most can't according to the Kindegarten teaches I've spoken too. What I don't know is if that is because the parents just don't try to teach them, or is it because the have difficulty learning.

Honestly, Steven -- sounds like a great product.

If it was marketed well (or probably better yet, sold to a company that sells similar lines of kids learning aids/clothes/toys) -- I could see it doing fairly well.

Good idea, man!

It's been amazing the number of simple product ideas I've had since starting to have kids. So many products that you're like, "Now why the heck hasn't that been done?"

My big one is in regards to car seats -- something that would allow you to swivel the seat towards you while you are putting the kiddo (especially infants) in. Trying to jam yourself in there, and the kiddo -- time after time... it makes you want to invent something :)

Honestly, Steven -- sounds like a great product.

If it was marketed well (or probably better yet, sold to a company that sells similar lines of kids learning aids/clothes/toys) -- I could see it doing fairly well.

Good idea, man!

It's been amazing the number of simple product ideas I've had since starting to have kids. So many products that you're like, "Now why the heck hasn't that been done?"

My big one is in regards to car seats -- something that would allow you to swivel the seat towards you while you are putting the kiddo (especially infants) in. Trying to jam yourself in there, and the kiddo -- time after time... it makes you want to invent something :)

The car seat idea is excellent. I suffer that every day. Wears on the back.

Archived