Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cams

MissU28

I'm in the market to buy a new digital camera. I want to spend around $200...meaning I don't need one with all the bells and whistles. My previous camera was a Kodak Easyshare C4230 which I really liked but has since kirked out on me. I do have a dock, but the dock is from the older version of Kodak models so if I got another Easyshare I'd have to get a new dock....and I'm not trying to spend another 80 bucks on one of those.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd like one that can hook up and transfer to the computer easily, not necessarily having to install software to do so. It'd be nice to be able to transfer it to any computer, wherever I am. I also like cameras that aren't too flashy or have too many buttons. I'm not an avid photographer and don't need anything professional.

Let me know if you all have any ideas.

I've got asony DSC-P150. 7.2 megapixel. It takes short movies as well as pictures. Great quality. It was around $300 but well worth it. As for printing pictures at home, I don't do that. The cost for the picture paper and toner for my printer is more expensive than getting the pictures processed at ritz for 27 cents each. If you do go the route of Sony, I would stay away from any memory card brand that is NOT sony. We have a generic one that screws up a lot. I should have spent the extra $15 for Sony brand.

My brother just bought a Canon PowerShot A520 after my father researched it to death. He's sent me pictures and they are outstanding. His wife uses it and the pictures are flawless. I'm going to buy either this, or the the slightly more expensive A610. The 610 has the chipset from thier 1k+ cameras and has digital zoom that rivals optical zoom.

I've got asony DSC-P150. 7.2 megapixel. It takes short movies as well as pictures. Great quality. It was around $300 but well worth it. As for printing pictures at home, I don't do that. The cost for the picture paper and toner for my printer is more expensive than getting the pictures processed at ritz for 27 cents each. If you do go the route of Sony, I would stay away from any memory card brand that is NOT sony. We have a generic one that screws up a lot. I should have spent the extra $15 for Sony brand.

Check this 4x6 printer out. I use it and its better than alot of photo labs.

You get 100 sheets of glossy photo paper and an ink cartridge that will print more than that for $21.79. So the replenishables end up costing you 22 cents per print.

Replinishables link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZJROY/103-4446392-7984651?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

Printer link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EUFI4/103-4446392-7984651?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

The pictures really are amazing from this printer.

My brother just bought a Canon PowerShot A520 after my father researched it to death. He's sent me pictures and they are outstanding. His wife uses it and the pictures are flawless. I'm going to buy either this, or the the slightly more expensive A610. The 610 has the chipset from thier 1k+ cameras and has digital zoom that rivals optical zoom.

Not to knock it or anything but if it rivals optical zooms they must have been some pretty crappy optics. The digital zoom is just a crop of the picture. Same as downlaoding a pic to your computer selecting an area of the photograph and enlarging it. The more raw pixels a camera has the better the digital zoom will look. I always ignore digital zoom when looking at a camera.

Check this 4x6 printer out. I use it and its better than alot of photo labs.

You get 100 sheets of glossy photo paper and an ink cartridge that will print more than that for $21.79. So the replenishables end up costing you 22 cents per print.

Replinishables link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZJROY/103-4446392-7984651?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

Printer link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EUFI4/103-4446392-7984651?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

The pictures really are amazing from this printer.

It only prints 4x6? That's kind of lame...:silly:

Not to knock it or anything but if it rivals optical zooms they must have been some pretty crappy optics. The digital zoom is just a crop of the picture. Same as downlaoding a pic to your computer selecting an area of the photograph and enlarging it. The more raw pixels a camera has the better the digital zoom will look. I always ignore digital zoom when looking at a camera.

Yeah..."digital zoom" is actually somewhat of a misnomer. This is the main reason why I prefer SLRs...only optical zoom, baby!

Compare the cost per print to a tabloid printer that will do up to 11x14. The ink cartridges are so expensive in those it is crazy.

You can join Rizt Camera's frequent buyer program and you get discounts depending on how many prints you buy and stuff. Its not that bad, actually....

I joined right before I bought my digital camera and I just got like 15 certificates in the mail for free prints!! :laugh:

There is a local Pro Photo Lab I go to for enlargements. I don't really do that many. Most of my stuff is posted online or done in 4x6 prints.

For snapshots its so nice having that little printer. When we have family get togethers or parties, etc. I send people home with the pics they like.

jrock,

I saw in another thread you have the xt. Do you have a long zoom for it? I think thats gonna be my xmas present this year.

I've got a 75-300mm telephoto (I think that's what it is). I love it, but I want something with even more power. I saw a 300-1000mm on ebay...that thing was a monster! 10 inches long with a 5 inch diameter!! I don't have a tripod yet, so getting a big lens like that might be a waste of time...and it was around $500.

Do you have the XT as well? Its a great camera, isn't it? Tarhog has it as well; its what takes all of his game pictures! And the cheerleader pictures! :drool:

Archived