Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the NFL give us a win?

amm11387

You'll get nothing and like it.

seriously though - nope, despite the fact that we deserve a win, the NFL would never in a million years actually give us any compensation for poor officiating. That would be a horrible policy decision on their part, and lead them down a very slippery slope. Pretty soon every team would want something for any little screw up, some teams would get compensation for things, other's wouldn't - and before you know it you have a massive disaster.

Well they will not give us anything, but in the even this happened in any other game with oter teams they would not recieve anything either. Just a "you are correct, we made a mistake." Thats about it.

Although sith is right, while i think we got jobbed, we still have oppurtunities that we squandered.

This isn't the 1st time that this has happened to Coach Gibbs...it happened in 1989 during the 2nd game of the season against the Eagles. When Gerald Riggs "fumbled" and the Eagles ran it down to our twnety and won the game as a result of that play. The NFL later reviewed the play and realized the refs blew the call...all we got was a note apologizing for what happened and that was it. Expect the same thing this time.

Are we looking for handouts now? We loss, now lets move on.

Yeah seriously. REMOVE THIS THREAD! Fans of other teams are coming to this site and laughing at this pathetic thread topic. Let's not embarass ourselves anymore. We got HOSED. No one else cares but us and thats the way it will always be from now until eternity. Lets talk about the upcoming must win game vs Oakland.

I don't even think they will admit that they were wrong.

I understand that they can not compensate us. However, something seriously needs to be done about the bad officiating in the NFL. The NFL has got to have the worst officiating in any sport. It is horrible. And it’s not just against the Redskins. It is across the board. The NFL is a multi billion dollar business and they can't afford to pay the refs as full time employees. :whoknows:

Sure, baseball, basketball, soccer, and hokey have bad calls as well. But not like this. The NFL blows more calls then any other sport. And if the players or the coaches say something about it then they get fined. :doh:

So I guess it is the responsibility of the players and coaches to keep their mouth shut and continue to get screwed by bad calls. :shutup:

It seams that the NFL is more interested in marketing itself in Mexico and Europe then making sure the games are officiated correctly.

Great question, there use to be a protest rule but from what i seen the last many years, Paul Taglia**** will stand there with his pants down ready to throw it to ya again.

What the tape is suppose to do now is confront the Refs, jump there ass so they dont make the same mistake twice, but with 300 refs thats a lot of freaking mistakes, geesh

Ideally, the point of this process Gibbs' is describing is for the league to compile "stats" on officials individually, and officiating crews collectively, in terms of accuracy of calls and rule implementation.

The results are (ideally) supposed to factor into selection of personnel for calling play-off and SB games (the amount of work divided by the least errors), and to be used as a guide for where improvement of both individuals and whole crews needs to be focused, or the make-up of the crews changed.

Nowhere is it even hinted at, that any/all errors found can or will be used to terminate an official, or be used in any other "punative" fashion. They may only be used in "guidance" towards offering a "better product" for the fan and a "better quality" of NFL game experience.

The best (emphasis) we fans can ever hope, is that some refs will have the integrity to honestly examine their performance level and look for tendencies. A former official (and common sense) confirms Die Hard's thoughts in another post: The nfl refs are a brotherhood, and often feel like they are isolated by a general lack of approval from fans, players, & coaches (to varying degrees per official), and they do protect each other for the most part.

They also, in general, hate the FEELING they get from instant replay (as opposed to not appreciating its value to the fan and the game) in that their job seems to be one demanding perfection, and any human error gets magnified on a Jumbotron (I get no royalties for that usurping of my name) for millions to see.

Unfortunately, and this is also confirmed by at least one former official, factors such as home-field considerations (paranoia of damage to self & property for unpopular reversals if close) and sometimes highly negative personal feelings held by specific officials (verboten but real, even if rare) towards specifc players/teams do sometimes influnce on close calls. So too, accroding to this same source, can the dramatic cirucmstance of a certain game (i.e., unbelieveably heroic comeback effort, potential ending of a cinderella story etc,). I guess the question is, how could it be otherwise? With the reality that a penalty likely occurs on every play, how could such normal human reactions, even in a professional, remain repressed and controlled 100% of the time? It's even that way with Supreme Court Justices I hear.

Archived