Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've reached the Crossroads of the Season

ThatGuy

The cross roads have been reached. It is time for the Redskins to choose their path. A loss such as the one they suffered on Sunday could be the beginning of a slide right out of the playoffs or it could be the wake up call this team needs to make its move in the NFC. We’re still six days away from seeing which directions this team takes.

You don’t lose a game like that without having some kind of hangover. It was a devastating, heartbreaking game. Controversial calls aside, it doesn’t get much worse than that. But losses like that happen. It’s how you react that determines what kind of team you are.

Obviously we won’t know anything until the Raiders game in 6 days, but the early signs are good. In all of the post game interviews you didn’t hear players whining about calls or blaming the refs. They all took responsibility of the loss. That’s a positive; all the whining and complaining in the world isn’t going to move the game from the loss column, so they have to accept it.

Handling the loss well is good, but it’s how they react in practice and on Sunday that will tell the true story. In all likelihood we’ll see another close down to the wire typical Redskin game. The Redskins could continue to go up and down and stay competitive in the playoff race. But what I want to see, what I think a true contending team would do is come back home and lay a pounding on a beatable Raiders team.

We’ve seen glimpses of the team the Redskins could be, now is the moment to realize that potential. If the Redskins are going to put it all together, now is the time. The NFC East is there for the taking, it’s up for the Redskins to seize the opportunity. It all starts this Sunday.

Getting into a slide or into a playoff run are not our only 2 options. We can also just keep doing what we were doing before.

Blow one team out - get happy and get blown out next week.

Get a tough win - get happy and drop one the next week.

I really hope we'd start getting too happy about these wins. It's as if we start thinking we are good and stop working as hard after a win.

Well I did mention that. But that is what I mean, I doubt we'll go into a huge tailspin and drop 4 games in a row, we can either take off and become a more consistent team or we can continue to have the up and downs. If we are really a team that can contend for the NFC we need to step up.

In case you hadn't noticed, the crossroads game was LAST weekend....on the road. And the Skins failed.

We'll be better than 8-8, and I refuse to look at a road loss as some back breaker of a game. We sit at 5-4, we're far from out of it. The lack of ability to see the big picture by some posters is amazing.

Thing about "crossroads games" in the NFL is ... as a playoff contender, the deeper you go into the season, you no sooner cross one than you come to another. :)

As long as the Skins remain within a game or two of that last wildcard spot, each successive week's game will be bigger than the last. If we beat Oakland, rest assured the San Diego game will absolutely seem like the biggest game of the year. Same if we don't, only in that case San Diego will be a "must" win just to stay relevant.

Just the way it works.

Sucks that we're not 6-3 or 7-2 at this point and with a bit of breathing room, for sure ... but it's also pretty damn cool that, after all these years, we're 5-4 at this point in a season, and right in the thick of it, and actually HAVE a big game or two on the horizon.

Just sayin'.

Thing about "crossroads games" in the NFL is ... as a playoff contender, the deeper you go into the season, you no sooner cross one than you come to another. :)

As long as the Skins remain within a game or two of that last wildcard spot, each successive week's game will be bigger than the last. If we beat Oakland, rest assured the San Diego game will absolutely seem like the biggest game of the year. Same if we don't, only in that case San Diego will be a "must" win just to stay relevant.

Om, you make a good point. Every game after this one will be big. My take is that how the team reacts to this loss will show us where we stand. Its a punch to the gut kind of loss, if we come out and lay into the Raiders I think it proves a lot about the team. I have no doubt they'll come out and play hard, but I want to see a 'statement' victory.

I don't disagree, TG ... but if only for the sake of debate, in the days heading up to the Philly game last week, we were thinking the same thing then. That was ALSO a "statement" game, and we made a big one.

Unfortunately, we followed it up this week with a question mark. :)

Which is my larger point. Each week, for a contending team, is successively more important than the last.

Archived