Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Redskins

WallyVon

Before I start, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 21, which is young enough to not have appreciated or experienced the glory years in the 80s and early 90s, but old enough to have experienced all the pain from 1993 till now.

I feel like a Browns fan must feel, I think. I expect failure. So this most recent loss has me harkening back to the 2000 season where we went 8-8 after having Super Bowl aspirations, or all the other so-close-yet-so-far seasons that populated the late 90s and early 00s under Turner and Schottenheimer.

In my mind, this current team is the best we've had since our playoff team in 1999. At 5-4, though, we are only one game better than the Vikings and Lions and Rams. Think about that. We've all been going crazy with anticipation over this Redskins team that, to us, is incredibly good, and we are only one game better than those 3 teams who, most will agree, stink.

We have lost a few games we could have won. I won;t say we should have won them, there is no should in the NFL, but we definitely could have beaten the Bucs this past week and the Broncos in week 5.

We have also won some games that we could have lost. The Cowboys game immediately comes to mind, as well as the Seahawks game.

Anyway, by losing games we could have won, we are putting ourselves in a hole. Making the playoffs at this point will be very difficult. It certainly could happen, but I don't expect it to.

My thoughts really concern where the Redskins go after this year, assuming we finish at 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs. Mark Brunell will be 36 next year. His performance this year has been great, but he is the lynchpin for our offense. Without his good reads and accurate throws, our offense isn't anywhere near as good as it has been. And thats a really old player to have as the lynchpin, and eventually age will be a factor.

Joe Gibbs will be 65 next year, and I really wonder how long he will keep doing this. After Brunell leaves, we will have to go through a rebuilding period with Jason Campbell. Is Gibbs willing to stick around through those 2 years or so as Campbell learns on the job?? I'm not sure. And I won't even get into Joe Bugel, Don Breaux, and the other old coaches we have around.

I also think there's a good chance Gregg Williams leaves after this year for a head coaching opportunity elsewhere. By most estimates, anywhere from 8-13 coaches will be fired after this season. There will be many openings, and Williams is among the top coordinator candidates.

Without Williams, where would that leave our defense??? Probably back where it was under Steve Spurrier, which is to say, not very good. We have really overachived on defense the past few seasons. With Shawn Springs and Walt Harris getting old, LaVar Arrington probably cut for cap reasons following this season, I'm not looking forward to seeing our defense next season if Williams leaves.

Not to mention that next season, due to the trade to get Jason Campbell, we won't have a 1st round pick.

This isn't to say we don't have some hope for the future. We do. Our offensive line is relatively young, nobody older than 30, and is pretty good with the exception of Chris Samuels. Santana Moss is only 26, Clinton Portis is only 24, Chris Cooley is only 23. Sean Taylor, if he can escape jail time, is only 23 himself. So we have some young players we can build around.

But with such an old quarterback guiding our ship, I can't take solace in the fact that we are close. We are, but we need to win NOW. Brunell can't ward off father time forever. In many ways, if we can't do some things this year, we will have an entirely different team next year, and probably won;t be as good.

I feel good about next year. Its obvious that the Skins are a better team than last year and will only improve. We finally have stability, something the Skins haven't ad in a while. I feel we will fill some holes on our D line and our #2 reciever (patten doesn't compliment Moss well) in free agency.

Gibbs will fulfill his contract, as long as his health holds up. I believe that Williams will stay to become his predecessor. As for Campbell, I expect big plays from this kid. He has got a solid team around him. Sitting out for a year will help his growth.

As for this year, yet again we are in a 'must win' situation. I want to see how the Skins bounce back from what they say was "the most disappointing loss of the season". We are a game back, but still get the chance to play the Giants and Dallas again at home. The next four games are huge. Hopefully we can pull out 3 wins and get on a roll for our division opponents.

Yes, we need to win 3 of the next 4. It is absolutely essential to be at least 8-5 entering our final 3 divisional games. It would be very difficult to win all 3 remaining divisional games, which is what we would have to do at 7-6 or worse to have a shot.

This is what has made me so mad about the Tampa,Denver and KC game. We are blowing a golden opportunity and there is no gurantee that we will be any better next year. We are a good enough team this year to be a real contender and we are pissing it away. I think we would have one of the best chances at beating Indy in the Super Bowl if we could ever get there. When our defense is right I think we are one of the few teams that could give Manning problems and when our offense is right we can move the ball as well as anyone and we are probably the most balanced offensive team in the league. I understand this is only Gibbs second year and people are saying you can't expect a miracle but the truth is we are good enough right now and there is no excuse to be giving games away the same way every game and then saying after the game we know if we lose the turnover battle we are going to lose then KEEP ON DOING IT OVER AND OVER!

Before I start, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 21, which is young enough to not have appreciated or experienced the glory years in the 80s and early 90s, but old enough to have experienced all the pain from 1993 till now.

I feel like a Browns fan must feel, I think. I expect failure. So this most recent loss has me harkening back to the 2000 season where we went 8-8 after having Super Bowl aspirations, or all the other so-close-yet-so-far seasons that populated the late 90s and early 00s under Turner and Schottenheimer.

In my mind, this current team is the best we've had since our playoff team in 1999. At 5-4, though, we are only one game better than the Vikings and Lions and Rams. Think about that. We've all been going crazy with anticipation over this Redskins team that, to us, is incredibly good, and we are only one game better than those 3 teams who, most will agree, stink.

We have lost a few games we could have won. I won;t say we should have won them, there is no should in the NFL, but we definitely could have beaten the Bucs this past week and the Broncos in week 5.

We have also won some games that we could have lost. The Cowboys game immediately comes to mind, as well as the Seahawks game.

Anyway, by losing games we could have won, we are putting ourselves in a hole. Making the playoffs at this point will be very difficult. It certainly could happen, but I don't expect it to.

My thoughts really concern where the Redskins go after this year, assuming we finish at 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs. Mark Brunell will be 36 next year. His performance this year has been great, but he is the lynchpin for our offense. Without his good reads and accurate throws, our offense isn't anywhere near as good as it has been. And thats a really old player to have as the lynchpin, and eventually age will be a factor.

Joe Gibbs will be 65 next year, and I really wonder how long he will keep doing this. After Brunell leaves, we will have to go through a rebuilding period with Jason Campbell. Is Gibbs willing to stick around through those 2 years or so as Campbell learns on the job?? I'm not sure. And I won't even get into Joe Bugel, Don Breaux, and the other old coaches we have around.

I also think there's a good chance Gregg Williams leaves after this year for a head coaching opportunity elsewhere. By most estimates, anywhere from 8-13 coaches will be fired after this season. There will be many openings, and Williams is among the top coordinator candidates.

Without Williams, where would that leave our defense??? Probably back where it was under Steve Spurrier, which is to say, not very good. We have really overachived on defense the past few seasons. With Shawn Springs and Walt Harris getting old, LaVar Arrington probably cut for cap reasons following this season, I'm not looking forward to seeing our defense next season if Williams leaves.

Not to mention that next season, due to the trade to get Jason Campbell, we won't have a 1st round pick.

This isn't to say we don't have some hope for the future. We do. Our offensive line is relatively young, nobody older than 30, and is pretty good with the exception of Chris Samuels. Santana Moss is only 26, Clinton Portis is only 24, Chris Cooley is only 23. Sean Taylor, if he can escape jail time, is only 23 himself. So we have some young players we can build around.

But with such an old quarterback guiding our ship, I can't take solace in the fact that we are close. We are, but we need to win NOW. Brunell can't ward off father time forever. In many ways, if we can't do some things this year, we will have an entirely different team next year, and probably won;t be as good.

Some good points and thoughts about the future. I'm almost 37 and was fortunate to grow up going to Skins playoff games and seeing winners. Now after having suffered through the last 14 years or so I've grown an appreciation of simply having a team that is in the hunt. My feeling is this; don't worry about next year until next Spring. Enjoy the football we're experiencing right now. Bleed burgundy and gold and trust in Gibbs. He's proven himself to be one of the smartest minds ever in the game. It definitely will suck the day he decides to stop coaching again but why worry about that now? Your sense of urgency for this year is warranted but Gibbs committed to 5 years and I believe he'll honor that commitment. I'd love to see the Skins hang onto Greg Williams but still believe Gibbs is smart enough to replace him with someone that can pick up where Williams leaves off.

Maybe we make the playoffs, maybe not, but at least we're in the mix and what's the point of being pessimistic about it? We have a decent schedule coming down the stretch and Gibbs teams are typically great in December.

Let's kick the crapola outta the Raiders and get back on track!!!!!!:eaglesuck

Some good points and thoughts about the future. I'm almost 37 and was fortunate to grow up going to Skins playoff games and seeing winners. Now after having suffered through the last 14 years or so I've grown an appreciation of simply having a team that is in the hunt. My feeling is this; don't worry about next year until next Spring. Enjoy the football we're experiencing right now. Bleed burgundy and gold and trust in Gibbs. He's proven himself to be one of the smartest minds ever in the game. It definitely will suck the day he decides to stop coaching again but why worry about that now? Your sense of urgency for this year is warranted but Gibbs committed to 5 years and I believe he'll honor that commitment. I'd love to see the Skins hang onto Greg Williams but still believe Gibbs is smart enough to replace him with someone that can pick up where Williams leaves off.

Maybe we make the playoffs, maybe not, but at least we're in the mix and what's the point of being pessimistic about it? We have a decent schedule coming down the stretch and Gibbs teams are typically great in December.

Let's kick the crapola outta the Raiders and get back on track!!!!!!:eaglesuck

I'm always pessimistic. This team will have to finish 5-2 to make the playoffs, and get lucky as well. While I hope that will happen, being realistic I don't expect it.

The problem, as I see it, is that Brunell has played well enough to warrant a starting job in 2006. Why is that a problem?? It is one less year under Gibbs for Jason Campbell to learn, and one year closer to Gibbs retiring.

If the Redskins can't make the playoffs this year with Brunell at the helm, why is there any reason to expect them to do so next year?? Brunell will be a year older, and as I mentioned the team may lose Gregg Williams and LaVar Arrington and won't have a first round pick. The secondary may need to be revamped, as Walt Harris will be 32 next year, Shawn Springs will be 31, Ryan Clark will be a free agent and Sean Taylor may be in jail.

Plus, this year has gone dramatically well from an injury standpoint. We've had bumps and bruises, but we haven't had any key players go down. We have very little offensive line depth, especially at the tackles. As bad as Chris Samuels has been, imagine how bad it would get with Ray Brown in there. So much of our offense revolves around the pulling ability of Randy Thomas and Derrick Dockery, and we've been lucky to have those guys stay healthy. Casey Rabach has been a great addition, and he has stayed healthy, as has Jon Jansen.

Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts (a free agent next year), Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, none of them have missed a game. Mark Brunell hasn't missed a game. Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs have each missed a game, but should be ready for the stretch run.

Health is something you can't predict, and we have been lucky this year to keep most of our guys on the field. Next year that may change, and as I've said previously, with an old coach, old quarterback, and a defensive coordinator itching to be a head coach again, we really can't take solace in losses or take moral victories.

We need to win this year.

First of all the Vikings, Lions and Rams are 2 games behind us at 4-5 and we are 5-4. Of course we could have a better record but you are talking like this season is lost. We are far from a lost season we are doing fine for a tough division and have a great schedule ahead with some tough division games against the Giants and Boys at home where we are still undefeated. I feel great about this team we will be fine, we are 5-4 one more game and we matched last years win total and we have an excellent chance to make the playoffs. I don't know how many games we have to win to get in but last year a 7-9 record was enough for a wild card in the nfc. I don't know why you think that 8-13 head coaches will get fired there may be a few coaches that get fired but 13? I don't think so that is an excessive amount and as it stands now only a few coaches are almost 100% close to being fired. You talk like this season is done, talking about the age of players and will Joe Gibbs continue this season is still in effect. The only thing I agree with you on is that we need to win now. cause every win counts but we still have 7 games left and a great chance to make it to the post season. Our loss against Tampa only enforces the fact that our offense has some power and I'm very happy with were we are I think we will easily make the playoffs. Stop worrying after every game what is gonna happen and what we need to do we are fine right now and not in the class of those under .500 teams you mentioned.

:raidersuc

I feel GREAT about next year, are you guys kidding?????

We FINALLY have youth at key positions. Our defense is all young, no one is on their last legs at least. Arrington, Washington, Taylor (whos is RIDICULOUSLY young btw), Springs, Griff...none of these anchors are particularly old. Our offensive line? Same thing...all youth.

On offense, Moss, Cooley, Portis...all keys to the offense, all young. To a lesser extent, Taylor Jacobs, who is still a wildcard, Ladell Betts, Mike Sellers...the list goes on. There are no Jerome Bettis' or Tim Browns on this squad.

And for QB, we have TWO young guys. One a 2nd year with tremendous potential and the other a guy with starting experience and a lot of talent.

What is there NOT to like here??? Gibbs has begun turning this franchise around in only one year. This is incredible....if there is ONE thing Im excited about when it comes to the Redskins, its their future, not their present.

I feel GREAT about next year, are you guys kidding?????

We FINALLY have youth at key positions. Our defense is all young, no one is on their last legs at least. Arrington, Washington, Taylor (whos is RIDICULOUSLY young btw), Springs, Griff...none of these anchors are particularly old. Our offensive line? Same thing...all youth.

On offense, Moss, Cooley, Portis...all keys to the offense, all young. To a lesser extent, Taylor Jacobs, who is still a wildcard, Ladell Betts, Mike Sellers...the list goes on. There are no Jerome Bettis' or Tim Browns on this squad.

And for QB, we have TWO young guys. One a 2nd year with tremendous potential and the other a guy with starting experience and a lot of talent.

What is there NOT to like here??? Gibbs has begun turning this franchise around in only one year. This is incredible....if there is ONE thing Im excited about when it comes to the Redskins,its their future, not their present.

I can agree with you that some players, expecially on offense, are young and locked up. Our offensive line is relatively young and locked up long term, Cooley is young, Portis is young, as is Moss.

Shawn Springs will be 31 next year. For a cornerback, that is pretty old. Arrington will still likely be cut for cap reasons more than anything. Hopefully Sean Taylor's legal troubles work themselves out, because he is young and under contract for a while.

We will have two key free agents to sign this offseson, and hopefully we have the cap flexibility to get them signed: Ladell Betts and Ryan Clark. It sucked last year when we were forced to let Antonio Pierce and Fred SMoot walk because of our self-imposed cap problems. Ladell Betts is one of those guys who could get a big contract to start somewhere else in the offseason though, a la Lamont Jordan. He might not be back.

We have a few needs that should be addressed in the offseason, if we have the cap flexibility to do it. We need some help at the 2nd cornerback position; Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers simply aren't getting it done, and Shawn Springs is getting pretty old for a #1 corner, we should expect some slippage.

We need a better #2 WR as well, David Patten stinks, and James Thrash is best suited for a utility role (TO anyone?). Maybe we could sign David Givens away from New England, he would be a good compliment to Moss I think.

If Betts leaves to start somewhere else, we will need to sign a competant backup runningback. Rock Cartwright would be a major downgrade there.

If/when Arrington is cut, his position will need to be filled, either by signing a middle linebacker and moving Lemar Marshall over, or by signing an outside linebacker.

And, of course, signing a pass rushing defensive end would be a huge bonus. Our defensive line is solid, but we have major deficiencies in our pass rush.

Our lack of a first round pick limits our ability to fill these needs in the draft. I think we need to make (yet another) splash in free agency, or risk regressing next year.

Archived