Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A thread specifically about clearly identifying your thread's topic in the title!

ExtremeSkins Staff

We are having a preponderance of threads being started, particularly in the Stadium forum, where the title of 2 to 3 non-descriptive words is used.

There are a couple of problems with this. First of all, its against posted forum rules

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

Secondly, and more importantly, it shows a lack of courtesy to your fellow members. With an ever-increasing number of new threads every day, and an expanding member base, members become more selective about which threads to open and spend their time reading, and which ones to bypass. They cannot do that if the thread titles are 'Guess what?', 'Hey, I just noticed...', or 'WTF!' You are also creating extra work for staff who, instead of just merging redundant, repetitive threads based on accurate titles, now have to open each one up and try and figure out what its about.

We appreciate your taking the time to title your thread accurately.

Thanks!

Extremeskins Staff

I think this thread would be better titled: "READ ME: Thread Titles"

"Member Request" doesn't really tell me anything about what this is about ... :silly:

I noticed that too Dj :laugh:

When we throw you softballs, we can't really complain when you knock one out of the park, can we :)

I've edited the title....

Unless there's something of extended interest, I try not to start threads that annoys the community. For the most part there's an existing thread that lends itself to heathy discussions. A moderator of ES, like Art, Bubba,TK, OM and there are other people out in the community that share in salient perspectives of generating interest and thought provoking discussions with healthy responses.

A few months or so ago ES conveyed some talking points in an effort to facilitate an understanding and importance of conducting a search first, gauging validity of info etc.. before starting an existing thread. Some people just don't seem to get it. In more cases than not your interest/topic has been addressed, so you just need to search first and join in the discussion. Thanks Art you do a good job and your commentary is always insightful! Go Skins and Hail!

This the 12th Man and that's all I know!

While we're at it...

Very long posts in one single paragraph with little or no punctuation and sloppy spelling errors are very difficult to read so I usually pass them by without reading them at least not much of them because the message gets lost and sometimes the sentences are so long and jump from topic to topic without really any sense or sensibility so please use capitalization and punctuation to make your posts more readible or at least understandible because i cant be the only person who gets really tired of trying to deciger what you mean when you post teh long and sloppy posts because while somethings should be long and sloppy posts on messafe broads shouldnt be one of them I mean come on, if you have and idea and want to share it at least make sure that people will want to read your thoughts without trying to read your mind or going crosseyed while reading.

With a little effort, the above paragraph becomes this:

Very long posts in one single paragraph, with little or no punctuation and sloppy spelling errors, are very difficult to read. I usually pass them by without reading them, or at least not much of them, because the message gets lost.

If you really have something to say, make it readable; perhaps more people will read it and realize what an intelligent thought it was.

While we're at it...

If you really have something to say, make it readable; perhaps more people will read it and realize what an intelligent thought it was.

:applause: :notworthy

Woofer Magoo, thanks, I agree. Problem with some is that they know not the parts of speech. So they use intoductory elements/ dependent clauses that serve as adverbial phrases acting as prepositions and no use of comma. With the inabilty to recognize non-essential elements, comma splices are breeded.

Or independent clauses with no coordinating conjunction and no use of semi colon which seperates and makes independent clause clear and better understood equals sloppy reading and a loss of interest.

But like you said it's okay not to understand those parts, but use short sentences that promote smooth transistions from subject to subject. But if they stick to the threads' subject, they shouldn't have much transition. But good points and well written. Thanks we all need to support ES in this endeavor; they work really hard and do great work for our interaction and enjoyment. And thanks Tarhog you do good work, too, and your commentary is always thought provoking.

:applause: :notworthy

Woofer Magoo, thanks, I agree. Problem with some is that they know not the parts of speech. So they use intoductory elements/ dependent clauses that serve as adverbial phrases acting as prepositions and no use of comma. With the inabilty to recognize non-essential elements, comma splices are breeded.

Or independent clauses with no coordinating conjunction and no use of semi colon which seperates and makes independent clause clear and better understood equals sloppy reading and a loss of interest.

But like you said it's okay not to understand those parts, but use short sentences that promote smooth transistions from subject to subject. But if they stick to the threads' subject, they shouldn't have much transition. But good points and well written. Thanks we all need to support ES in this endeavor; they work really hard and do great work for our interaction and enjoyment. And thanks Tarhog you do good work, too, and your commentary is always thought provoking.

Yeah, what he said.

I think.

Well, I'm not sure that I really understand what he said. I'm also not sure if my conjunctions are coordinated at all, I have a hard enough time coordinating my wardrobe for gawd sakes! Furthermore, if my clauses have become independent, through some kind of sentence structure free agency program or something, then they haven't told me about it yet. I also have no idea about the use of my semi-colon, if indeed I have one, but I refuse to discuss it here. That subject falls plainly behind the protection of the doctor-patient privledge.

:)

Yeah, what he said.

I think.

Well, I'm not sure that I really understand what he said. I'm also not sure if my conjunctions are coordinated at all, I have a hard enough time coordinating my wardrobe for gawd sakes! Furthermore, if my clauses have become independent, through some kind of sentence structure free agency program or something, then they haven't told me about it yet. I also have no idea about the use of my semi-colon, if indeed I have one, but I refuse to discuss it here. That subject falls plainly behind the protection of the doctor-patient privledge.

:)

Posted in side your post sorry....but again, funny and Thansk. Go Skins and Hail!

Archived