Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

systems don't win Superbowls, players do

DEFENSEGURU

when you look at the Ravens during that Superbowl year they had about 6 all pro defensive players go to hawaii. they had players going to the pro bowl therefore they had pro bowl players.

when Tampa went to the superbowl it was the same thing with Sapp, and Rice and bARBER AND Brooks and the bunch.

The 85 bears had half the team there in Hawaii.

How many Redskins defensive players are going to the pro bowl this year?

Right..none. Thats a very telling fact. It demonstrates that all this talk about how great the defense is or how the Redskins are even a playoff team is really quite unlikely to be the case. There has to be a dose of reality come into play at some point.

If you don't draft defensive ends you end up with no pass rush. You can stop the run but on 3rd and 8 you can't stop the pass and so the drive continues.

Lavar is in for a great 2nd down play and then after stuffing some running back on 2nd down, he comes running off the field so excited and celebrating and Greg WIllimas greets him on the sidelines and they celebrate together, and then another 3rd down pass is complete with your best defensive player watching from the sidelines.

Something is not right in Washingtons coaching schemes but its also important to note that you need players...all pro players if you expect to stop teams, and at the very least it is important to get your best players in the game on 3rd down and not have them WATCHING from the sideline.

This offseason I would suggest that instead of drafting Rod Gardenr or Michael Westbrook and trading a number 1 draft pick for Coles or drafting safeties and cornerbacks who aren't in the pro bowl either, that the Redskins make a concerted effort to zero in on an all pro defensive tackle to go along with a very good(but not all pro) griffin....and then also find an all pro defensive end at all cost.

2 all pros on the defensive line will suddenly make the linebackers look even better and might even give a cornerback an chance to make the pro bowl because he won't have to cover for 6 seconds.These defensive problems didn't start a few weeks ago, they go back over years of poor drafting and wasted number 1 draft picks and poor spending on free agents.

Randy Thomas and David Patten make a lot of money and neither of them have created a turnover yet and neither of them has scored either. Neither of them is a pro bowl player and neither is an impact player. Spend that tmoney onIMPACT players and draft your guards and centers with 2nd rounders like most teams do.

Randy Thomas and David Patten make a lot of money and neither of them have created a turnover yet and neither of them has scored either. Neither of them is a pro bowl player and neither is an impact player. Spend that tmoney onIMPACT players and draft your guards and centers with 2nd rounders like most teams do.

What do you mean David Patten hasn't created a turnover? He let that ball bounce right off his chest yesterday and it led to a pick.

Geat post, but this is the most important thing you said, and I agree 100 percent!

How come there are more threads being created today saying the exact same thing I said on here yesterday. Now people are creating threads about what the REAL problem is. Its the TALENT...and not the scheme. Uh..I think I have already said that.

Just merge them here.

How come there are more threads being created today saying the exact same thing I said on here yesterday. Now people are creating threads about what the REAL problem is. Its the TALENT...and not the scheme. Uh..I think I have already said that.

Just merge them here.

Sometimes other people see things, too.

I can appreciate the frustration expressed by many of the posters on this board. It's been a long time since we've had a team that dominated the league. I'd love to see that again but let's be real. Few teams ever dominate this league. At least we can say that we've been able to cheer for a few of them. That is more than most NFL fans can say.

So, I think we need to gain a little perspective here. Those of us who are crying because the Skins ONLY have a winning record need to get a grip. We need to reconsider what we are using as a measuring stick for this team.

I'll tell you what I use as a measuring stick: Heart, Competence, Energy, Attitude, Execution, and Skill.

This team as all of these things in spades. I love this team!

This team has great heart. They play with a lot of energy and attitude. Every week they don't sit back and take it on the chin. Instead they take it to the opposition. They don't always win but the other team knows it was in a dog fight when it was all over. I can't ask for more.

On top of that, this team is fun to watch. Their schemes on Offense and Defense make you wonder what they are going to throw at you next. And they run every play like it's a jail break. It's 100% chaos when the ball is snapped except they know what they are trying to do and how to do it. I freakin' love this team.

The offense's passing scheme of layered routes and staggered releases into those routes leave teams clueless as to who is running routes and when. It's beautiful! And Defensively they pressure all the time. Could they do it better? Yes. But at least they don't sit back and get picked apart. They take their shots. And speaking of shots, they usually land a few. This team HITS. They lay people out. They make people pay.

Brunnel is playing incredibly well. Watching Moss is like watching Michael Jordon. You don't know what he is going to do when he gets the ball in his hands but there is a good chance that it is going to be pretty spectacular. Cooley is cluch, Portis plays with tons of heart, Betts runs extremely hard, Sellers has a bad attitude, Lavar is flying (literally) all over the place, Washington is jacked up all the time, Taylor instills fear in people because he hits like a beast, I mean, come on guys! I freakin' love this team!

Think back to the Norv (Gosh I suck as a head coach) Turner days. Did we see ANY of this back then? HECK NO!

These are good days my friends. Be proud of this team, win or lose, because they are worth being proud of. And enjoy the effort this team brings to the field. Okay, so they are 5-4 but they play like they expect to win. And they should expect to win because they can beat ANYBODY in this league and they know it. It's been a long time since I've seen that and I'm lovin' it.

HTTR

Archived