Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Missing Chance to Have Special Season

bulldog

The Redskins are far from being out contention for the postseason, but with each lost opportunity on the road characterized by early turnovers on offense and late breakdowns on defense, the chances of Washington being able to set its own table and determine its own destiny heading into December is diminishing.

The chance was definitely there for the taking. The Broncos were vulnerable. The Chiefs were vulnerable. The Bucs are a team the Redskins should simply have beaten. Now, no one is going to win every game. But the problems for this club as I see it are things that don't seem to be getting resolved as the season progresses.

Early killer turnovers have been a staple on the road, despite all the attention focused on protecting the ball and giving the team the best chance to win in a hostile environment. Again, yesterday the Redskins spotted the Bucs 14 points before we began to claw back and play solid football.

Contrary to the record the Bucs are in my mind not a very good football team. They have an average line, a weak running game (at least while Cadillac Williams is hurt), and their best receiver is 33 year old Joey Galloway, whom the Redskins for some reason left for linebackers and safeties to cover when he was really their only threat through the first 3 quarters.

I like the idea of matchup defense rather than positional defense in the secondary. I know Williams doesn't like to flip corners, preferring to have a left and right corner in spite of the opposing receivers from week to week.

Yesterday, the Redskins should have glued Shawn Springs to Joey Galloway and forced the Bucs to beat the defense using other players.

In the end the Bucs did find another receiver in Williams in the fourth quarter but that was after Galloway had managed to keep the Bucs in the game.

In addition to the early turnovers, the other factor limiting the Redskins is that the team has been unable to to build on any recent momentum. The 49ers win was followed by perhaps the worst loss in recent memory in NY. The Eagles win was followed by a lackadaisical start against the Bucs and a finish that showed the defense still trying to pressure Chris Simms with blitzes despite the fact the Bucs had consistently beaten the blitz all day long.

Why not just make Simms read coverages and attempt to take the ball into the end zone having to earn it yard by yard?

In any case the club could have been 7-2 instead of 5-4.

Notice I didn't say that the club deserved to be 7-2.

But that is how close the team came in the first 9 games to making this a special season, one where the wildcard may have become a given and the real question would have been whether the team would win the division.

Instead, it is going to be claw and scratch each week.

Since that 3-0 start the team is 2-4, including 0-4 on the road.

The 4-0 home record is laudable but to be a legitimate contender for the East title the team is going to have to approximate a 6-2 home record and 4-4 on the road to finish in that 10-6 range.

To do that the Redskins now have to hold serve against Oakland and a dangerous San Diego team.

A tall order for a team whose offense and defense are tending to show up to play in consecutive rather than concurrent weeks................

I AGREE WITH THE GUTLESS CALL ON 3RD AND 2. HOW MANY TIMES THROUGH THE YEARS HAVE WE BEEN BURNT BY DALLAS ON A LATE GAME 3RD AND SHORT AND WE NEED A STOP AND THEY GO PLAY ACTION? GIBBS HAS BEEN TOO PREDICTABLE. SIMMS LOOKED GREAT BECAUSE HE HAD ALL DAY SUNDAY TO THROW. THEY NEED A LEGIT PASS RUSHER. SOMEONE THE OTHER TEAMS NEED TO DOUBLE TEAM. THAT WAY WE DONT HAVE TO BLITZ EVERY DOWN AND STILL GET NO PRESSURE. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE I DID LIKE THE WAY BRUNELL SPREAD THE BALL AROUND. FOR A TIME HE WAS GETTING TOO MOSS AND COOLEY HAPPY. ONCE AGAIN TURNOVERS AND BAD PENALTIES:gaintsuck

Agree 100% Bulldog.

I think what also makes the losses particularly painful is the fact that it's the same story over and over. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers!

This team could be force in the NFC this year. The offense is amazing at times. The defense, while not great, will be as good as many playoff-bound teams will be. But the turnovers are devastating!

They change momentum, make nailbiters out of blowouts, and put unbelievable stress on the defense and offense to make up for. They come at the worst possible times and just breath life into opponents.

They have haunted this team from game one, and have so far robbed this team of what cleary could be a very special season.

We can blame yesterdays game on a lot of things... bad calls, lame defense that can't stop a rookie, etc... Bottom line is the tone of the game was set when we spotted them 14 points. Take that away and I don't think Tampa would have had the life and energy to compete with who was clearly the better team on the field.

The Redskins are far from being out contention for the postseason, but with each lost opportunity on the road characterized by early turnovers on offense and late breakdowns on defense, the chances of Washington being able to set its own table and determine its own destiny heading into December is diminishing.

The chance was definitely there for the taking. The Broncos were vulnerable. The Chiefs were vulnerable. The Bucs are a team the Redskins should simply have beaten. Now, no one is going to win every game. But the problems for this club as I see it are things that don't seem to be getting resolved as the season progresses.

Early killer turnovers have been a staple on the road, despite all the attention focused on protecting the ball and giving the team the best chance to win in a hostile environment. Again, yesterday the Redskins spotted the Bucs 14 points before we began to claw back and play solid football.

Contrary to the record the Bucs are in my mind not a very good football team. They have an average line, a weak running game (at least while Cadillac Williams is hurt), and their best receiver is 33 year old Joey Galloway, whom the Redskins for some reason left for linebackers and safeties to cover when he was really their only threat through the first 3 quarters.

I like the idea of matchup defense rather than positional defense in the secondary. I know Williams doesn't like to flip corners, preferring to have a left and right corner in spite of the opposing receivers from week to week.

Yesterday, the Redskins should have glued Shawn Springs to Joey Galloway and forced the Bucs to beat the defense using other players.

In the end the Bucs did find another receiver in Williams in the fourth quarter but that was after Galloway had managed to keep the Bucs in the game.

In addition to the early turnovers, the other factor limiting the Redskins is that the team has been unable to to build on any recent momentum. The 49ers win was followed by perhaps the worst loss in recent memory in NY. The Eagles win was followed by a lackadaisical start against the Bucs and a finish that showed the defense still trying to pressure Chris Simms with blitzes despite the fact the Bucs had consistently beaten the blitz all day long.

Why not just make Simms read coverages and attempt to take the ball into the end zone having to earn it yard by yard?

In any case the club could have been 7-2 instead of 5-4.

Notice I didn't say that the club deserved to be 7-2.

But that is how close the team came in the first 9 games to making this a special season, one where the wildcard may have become a given and the real question would have been whether the team would win the division.

Instead, it is going to be claw and scratch each week.

Since that 3-0 start the team is 2-4, including 0-4 on the road.

The 4-0 home record is laudable but to be a legitimate contender for the East title the team is going to have to approximate a 6-2 home record and 4-4 on the road to finish in that 10-6 range.

To do that the Redskins now have to hold serve against Oakland and a dangerous San Diego team.

A tall order for a team whose offense and defense are tending to show up to play in consecutive rather than concurrent weeks................

Agree 100%

This still can be a special season, but it had the making of a very special season, one where other teams will take notice that the skins are back.

The games that scare me are the San Diego and St Louis as well as Dallas and NY. Like the Pats in one of their superbowl years, it took a while to get it going but once they did watch out, we could be that team. We just need someone on the DL to step up and create some pressure.

The only REAL turnover committed yesterday was by Brunell fumbling, and we got that one back at the start of the second half by Salave'a's hit on Cadillac. The two INTs were more lucky bounces of the ball than anything.

The defense was not getting any pressure from the front four so they decided to bring some with blitzes. They dared Chris Simms to beat them, and he did. Perhaps the Skins could've schemed the defense better and altered things, but lets give Simms a little credit as well. Although Walt Harris letting the receiver get behind him at the end was inexcusable.

I still think we have more exciting football ahead this year. We may wind up short in our quest for the playoffs, but if we can have 92,000 maniacs screaming during truly meaningful games at FedEx in December, that's at least a start and an improvement from where we've been the past 3 years.

You are right. The Bucs really aren't a good team. All you have to know is they lost to the 49'ers for crying out loud. Good teams make the most of their opportunities but the Skins find ways to lose games. I gotta be honest, the Skins can beat anybody but they can lose to anybody too....and that includes the Cardinals in Arizona.

I AGREE WITH THE GUTLESS CALL ON 3RD AND 2. HOW MANY TIMES THROUGH THE YEARS HAVE WE BEEN BURNT BY DALLAS ON A LATE GAME 3RD AND SHORT AND WE NEED A STOP AND THEY GO PLAY ACTION? GIBBS HAS BEEN TOO PREDICTABLE. SIMMS LOOKED GREAT BECAUSE HE HAD ALL DAY SUNDAY TO THROW. THEY NEED A LEGIT PASS RUSHER. SOMEONE THE OTHER TEAMS NEED TO DOUBLE TEAM. THAT WAY WE DONT HAVE TO BLITZ EVERY DOWN AND STILL GET NO PRESSURE. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE I DID LIKE THE WAY BRUNELL SPREAD THE BALL AROUND. FOR A TIME HE WAS GETTING TOO MOSS AND COOLEY HAPPY. ONCE AGAIN TURNOVERS AND BAD PENALTIES:gaintsuck

Young man, could speak just a little louder. I'm an old man, and having trouble hearing.

Huh ?

Eh ?

What did you say ?

First of all...yo peahbeez, whats up with the caps man...sheesh?

Bulldog, I would have to disagree with your statement where you said that the bucs are not a very good football team. Their defense alone makes them a very good team. We just happen to be better...minus the turnovers. IMO, we played a much better game yesterday, if you take away the turnovers and the gifts that the bucs got from the refs.

the part that bothers me the most is that TB isn't that good & is worse right now with a shaky back-up QB & a RB who's definitely hurt.

when you look back on it all, I'm not really sure how good this team is.

Chicago- we played them early ...they'd probably beat us right now.

Dallas- we were fortunate down the stretch...could've been a loss very easily.

Seattle- they hit the upright with the gae winner..very close

SF- Good solid win, but everybody says that after they play them!!!

Philly - never saw us get that many breaks in a game (for once) but still a close game

I'm still a huge fan, but realization is setting in that we're still a few horses away from serious contention.

Believe it or not! All caps actually weakens your argument. I know! It defies logic.

Yesterday's loss was tough to take, but we are by no means out of this. We need to take care of business and keep winning at home and beat opponents when we have the chance to. If we do that we will be fine. At the beginning of the season we all hoped for great things, but did we really expect to be in the thick of things for the playoff hunt? We have made mistakes, things haven't gone our way. But with Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Joe Bugel, and the rest of the staff we have in place I think we should be fine.

We will be in the playoffs this year and for many years to come.

Time to start setting a trend around here.

Archived