Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GPS's in footballs...why not?!?!

asnpcwiz

I had mentioned this in one of the threads that I replied to, but I was curious to know what everyone thought about putting GPS's inside footballs. I've never seen it discussed in the NFL, but I think it's worth talking about.

Some driving ranges are using GPS in golfballs to help judge distances to the tee. On big plays, GPS could make a big difference. For instance, on the 2 point conversion yesterday, the GPS would have been able to tell us exactly where the ball was at any given time. So using that info the ref can tell if he broke the plain before his knee was down or not. What do you guys think?!?

That, or cover the football with a radioactive coating, so that we'd be able to see where it was under a pile.

Seriously, though, there's so much potential for technology to take crucial decisions out of the hands of incompetent old geezers that the Competition Committee would be irresponsible not to at least look into it.

it would alter the flight of the ball

I doubt it, I've read the studies on GPS's inside the golfballs, the golfballs react the same way with our without GPS. I doubt that a football (about the size of 15-20 golfballs) would see a flight variance with a GPS in it if a golfball doesn't.

I am a surveyor and have dealt with GPS and a hand held device is only accurate to 5 ft. You can get readings to the hundreth but it requires to have multiple receivers set up with multiple observations. Then the data has to be computed to get a answer. I do believe the military is capable of getting a real high degree of accuracy with a hand held but the frequences they use to obtain that data is not avaliable to civilians. The short answer is there is nothing you could put in the football that would give you a accurate reading of within 5 ft.

at first, i thought this might help, but the ref would still have seen the ball across the goal line when he finally approached the pile. he would have no way to determine WHEN the ball crossed the goal line (i.e. after alstott's elbow was down). unless you can somehow link up the replay video of the elbow and the gps.

as a side note (and i realize this has been discussed ad nauseum), did anyone notice that the ref who signaled 'touchdown' was on the opposite side of the the arm in which the ball was being carried? theoretically, wouldn't his view of the play have been obscured by the runner's body?

I am a surveyor and have dealt with GPS and a hand held device is only accurate to 5 ft. You can get readings to the hundreth but it requires to have multiple receivers set up with multiple observations. Then the data has to be computed to get a answer. I do believe the military is capable of getting a real high degree of accuracy with a hand held but the frequences they use to obtain that data is not avaliable to civilians. The short answer is there is nothing you could put in the football that would give you a accurate reading of within 5 ft.

Now that...I didn't know. There's got to be a way to do it though, in this day in age, there's got to be a way!!!

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

i've been talking about this for 2 year and was going to post something about it earlier today but forgot. I am a senior in an engineering program and am going to talk to a few professors tomorrow to talk about the feasibility of this application to the already frequently used technology.

Will report back tomorrow night.

Now that...I didn't know. There's got to be a way to do it though, in this day in age, there's got to be a way!!!

i think a more accurate way to go is the use of lasers and a chip in the football that allows refs to see if the ball clears the goaline.

i've been talking about this for 2 year and was going to post something about it earlier today but forgot. I am a senior in an engineering program and am going to talk to a few professors tomorrow to talk about the feasibility of this application to the already frequently used technology.

Will report back tomorrow night.

I am no professor but I know with 99.9% certianty it would not be possible.

As stated, the accuracy of GPS is such that it would make no difference when we are talking about inches anyway. I think the Military gets cm in accuracy, but the play last night was literally decided by centimeters.

I have a better idea:

First, for the refs so that they can see the play:

glasses.jpg

Next, for the refs so that they make the right call:

C42%20Hand%20holding%20two%20steel%20balls.jpg

Is that how they do it in hockey? I guess that would work too, but there's got to be a way to (cheap and efficient) to implement GPS. I mean, they can put GPS in phones now for cheap. The NFL is a multimillion dollar industry, I'm sure they can afford to invest money into a GPS technology that will help in big decisions like last night's game.

WHAT :thud:

I didn't watch because I thought Wilbon would be screaming about don't blame the refs' mantra

wow

it was only about a 10 second thing but he was saying there was an angle that fox didn't show nearly enough of that was conclusive enough to NOT give the bucs the 2 point conversion.

what makes you say that?

I have worked alot with GPS in surveying. The kind I work with is called real time GPS. It involves you setting up multiple receivers with antennas over a point such as a nail. Then you get mutiple readings over the points for usually atleast 45 min's while rotating all your receivers over every point. Then you have to post process the information with a computer progam that takes into account different variables to come up with a answer that is within a couple of hundreths. Lets say the football was on of the aforesaid said points I mentioned you would still have to rotate all your receivers to get the kind of accuracy your talking about. There would be no way to set up another receiver at the exact point of where the football was then take another set of observations. The only practical way to do it is with something like a hand held device and the best one's are only within 5 ft. of accuracy.

GPS really isn't the right application but I don't think you have to look further than say RFID to find a way to build a system that works flawlessly.

Adidas has already developed such a system and it is actively being tested in soccer to make it easier for refs to determine whether the ball went out of bounds or crossed the goal line.

With a bit of research and some of the copious amount of money that the league makes invested, this could probably be developped and tested as early as the coming pre-season.

RF Could Help Make Calls at World Cup

They are introducing this technology in soccer. For all you people saying this isn't possible you're wrong.

It doesn't have to be GPS, they could place a sensor on each end of the goalline that detects some sort of a chip in the ball. They could have the same sensor in the first down markers. I'm not sure we'll see it anytime soon, but there is rumours that they will be using this technology for the World Cup in 2006.

Archived