Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Season

Coming into this season, many thought we'd be an 8 to 10 win team. Many people were hoping for a team that was in playoff contention most of the year and either snuck in or was left out by a game or tie-breakers.

Now, I realize this season can go in any direction from our 5-4 record, but we're shaping up to have a season similar to what a lot of expected and would be happy with.

My question is this: If we realize our predictions, go 9-7, and miss the playoffs...who will be happy?

We would win the 4 next game... and 'll be 9 - 4 for play Cowboys - Giants ans Eagles.

:logo:

vs. Raiders Win

vs. Chargers Win

@ Rams Win

@ Cardinals Win

9 - 4

vs. Cowboys

vs. Giants

@ Eagles

My problem with this theory is that we have shown nothing to make us think that we're capable of a winning streak like that. We've been up and down all year. I'm not saying that we can't win our next 4 (I honestly think we can win every game we play), but it's not very likely.

I guess my thread question is:

If we continue our up and down ways and go 9-7 and miss the playoffs...would people consider this a successful season? I think I would, as hungry as I am for a playoff team, it would show me that we're moving in the right direction with this team.

No hablo español.....I don't quite understand what your asking. Is a bit confusing, but 9-7 would be a descent record. At the rate that the NFC east is going, that might be enough to win the Division.

The question is simple. Based on what you've seen so far, would you be happy with 9-7?

I only ask now because it's very easy in August to look at a 6-10 team and think you'll be happy with a 3 game improvement (playoffs or no playoffs). But once you're in that season and see that you have a legitimate shot to make the playoffs, it becomes much tougher to settle for a decent year and no playoffs.

Coming into this season, many thought we'd be an 8 to 10 win team. Many people were hoping for a team that was in playoff contention most of the year and either snuck in or was left out by a game or tie-breakers.

Now, I realize this season can go in any direction from our 5-4 record, but we're shaping up to have a season similar to what a lot of expected and would be happy with.

My question is this: If we realize our predictions, go 9-7, and miss the playoffs...who will be happy?

I wrote at length (way too much :laugh: ) on the "rational" thread, but I have a short answer here: I had 9-7 since pre-season and thought that might be one game too optimistic. However, I've been spolied again by visions of sugar plums dancing in my head by how good we look at times and now I'd be emotionally dissapointed with my original "optimistic" prediction. Hate it when that happens.

I wouldn't be happy with 9-7. 10-6 would be a stretch. I think that is mostly because I know that we could be and very well should be sitting on an 8-1 record right now. 3 games on the road that were simply too close b/c of turnovers. We lack a fundamental of the game right now(holding on to the ball), and that has cost us dearly.

My problem with going 9-7 now is I don't know what the window is with this current team. Can you really expect Brunell to have this type of year again? If he falls back to earth or has an injury next year, it's rebuilding time with Campbell. And then, Gibbs' age starts to be a factor.

I've said all year that half of this team is configured for an immediate run to the playoffs, while the other half is configured for a two to three year rebuilding job. I like the way the team is playing, but I don't like the way it is structured.

If we get it together on Defense then we can go 12-4...

All of our losses (minus the Giants game) was a close loss

I think the season will go the same way in that it will come down to the last game and hte last minutes of it

Such a shame that every other NFC East team had to get good just as we do haha

My problem with going 9-7 now is I don't know what the window is with this current team. Can you really expect Brunell to have this type of year again? If he falls back to earth or has an injury next year' date=' it's rebuilding time with Campbell. And then, Gibbs' age starts to be a factor.

I've said all year that half of this team is configured for an immediate run to the playoffs, while the other half is configured for a two to three year rebuilding job. I like the way the team is playing, but I don't like the way it is structured.[/quote']

That is a great point and something I was hoping someone would touch upon in here. There is a feeling I'm having that if we "take a step in the right direction" but we don't do anything of significance this year, that we'll be wasting a good season by Brunell. I don't expect him to play like 2004 next season, but I also know he'll be a year older and it will be tough to get this kind of production out of him for a run.

Good point!

We would win the 4 next game... and 'll be 9 - 4 for play Cowboys - Giants ans Eagles.

:logo:

vs. Raiders Win

vs. Chargers Win

@ Rams Win

@ Cardinals Win

9 - 4

vs. Cowboys

vs. Giants

@ Eagles

I think you're sipping a little too much Kool-Aide. The way our defense is playing, we won't beat the Chargers (I don't care that it's at home), and we won't beat the Rams with a healthy Bulger. I live in San Diego and watch all their games (when they don't conflict with the Skins), they are an elite team even though their record doesn't show it.

Im just happy to have contention for the play-offs,some 2-7 fans out there would kill for the chance to say the same.And yes the sandiego game will be tough,just as all the future games will be,but i say the team is TOUGHER and will make it to play-offs and i sure hope they surprise even me and go deep into them.I say every year is a superbowl year when you have gibbs at the helm,sure we took on some water and the boat is in a storm right now,but that gibbs is one damn fine cap'n..

Archived