Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar Leap on the 2 point conversion

sonsofwashington

I noticed that LaVar was the first one to pentrate the line of scrimmage on the two point conversion play. The problem is that he decided to Jimmy Superfly over the O line and ended up missing Allstott who came plowing through immediately after. If you watch the video LaVar is litterally upside down when Allstott comes marching through. If he is on his feet does he make that play? Seems like he would have been right there to stuff it.

Not busting on LaVar because he is the man, but does anyone agree that he took himself out of that play by leaving his feet.

Theres about 87 threads on this same topic. LaVar leaped because Alstott leaped on the first touchdown play... He was the line of defense for an Alstott leap. Not only did he leap, though, he also made contact with Alstott that helped slow his momentum. So no, he didn't miss.

And if he had stayed on his feet, chances are he would have been stationary as Alstott came with a full head of steam. I love LaVar, and the man is a monster, but to think he can stop Alstott dead in his tracks from a stationary position is just goofy.

If Lavar would have made contact in the air, then you'd be calling him a hero.

That kind of defensive play reminds me of a penalty kick in soccer. The goalie arbitrarily pick left or right, and then does everything in his power to block the ball - same thing with our defense on that play. Send one man high and hope he gets contact. We still have enough guys on the ground to make the stop. It wasn't bad play, it just didn't work out in our favor. But give credit to john Gruden, that call took balls.

Lavar's leap was the right thing to do...Fast is if someone hadn't gotten a piece of Alstott in the backfield then Lavar is right in target to blow him up. When Alstott got bumped in the backfield Lavar had already loaded the cannon and he was on his way when Alstott's trajectory was changed forcing a mere glancing blow. It was the right thing to do.

Theres about 87 threads on this same topic. LaVar leaped because Alstott leaped on the first touchdown play... He was the line of defense for an Alstott leap. Not only did he leap, though, he also made contact with Alstott that helped slow his momentum. So no, he didn't miss.

And if he had stayed on his feet, chances are he would have been stationary as Alstott came with a full head of steam. I love LaVar, and the man is a monster, but to think he can stop Alstott dead in his tracks from a stationary position is just goofy.

My search produced no results KDawg. Why 87? 87 sucks. How about 89? I like that number better.

If LaVar stays low and Alstott goes over the top like the first time, he gets in as well. It was a gamble, that I bet was made because of how Alstott scored the first TD.

Agreed. He was selling out and it wasn't a bad guess. We stopped him regardless. If Alstott had tried to dive in I would have loved to have seen that collision.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

I have never played a defensive position on a goal line stand, but it would be my best guess to suggest that on a play like that you have defensive lineman who are supposed to get penetration and go low, and then have linebackers and safetys come over the top to stop and potential leap. However, I also feel like probowl linebackers (see Willie McGinest two years ago against the Colts in Indy), should have the ability to read and react to that play quick enough so as to not just blindly guess as to where the play is going (high or low). Washington who was in on the play too didn't leave his feet and made a great effort to stop Alstott. Maybe if LaVar was a more disciplined player we would be 6-3, but you can say maybe this or maybe that about 15 different plays from yesterday.

For all of you insulting the author of this thread, probably have only watched football games, and never played. The truth behind tackling is, if you leave your feet, odds are you lose. It's fundamentals. Could a offensive lineman block that way?? Oh, I'll jump up in the air, and hope the runner runs into me. The reality of this, is it was a desperate move on an idiot mistake to jump offsides on an extra point. There was little ground to defend, so the only way to of stopped this was to not jump off sides in the first place. I will take Alstot on a 1.5 yard run on any defense. Everyone has a valid point, but you cannot tackle with your feet in the air. Talk to any defensive coach, he may say leaping is possible, but not probable in the NFL. So quit insulting people who question something that has a valid point. I guess you know it alls can explain how you run 3 plays to Clinton Portis with 2 minutes left, basically giving up on an offense that had scored 35 points. Coaching was to blame in the loss, the defense stayed home on Sunday, they fumbled and gave Tampa the ball in scoring range 4 times. End of story.

I have never played a defensive position on a goal line stand, but it would be my best guess to suggest that on a play like that you have defensive lineman who are supposed to get penetration and go low, and then have linebackers and safetys come over the top to stop and potential leap. However, I also feel like probowl linebackers (see Willie McGinest two years ago against the Colts in Indy), should have the ability to read and react to that play quick enough so as to not just blindly guess as to where the play is going (high or low). Washington who was in on the play too didn't leave his feet and made a great effort to stop Alstott. Maybe if LaVar was a more disciplined player we would be 6-3, but you can say maybe this or maybe that about 15 different plays from yesterday.

I grew up playing football for years, DT then Linebacker later on. A good rule of thumb is to not leave your feet. But on a goal line stand like that, with someone like Alstott, your hoping that that one guy leaping over the pile will somehow connect with such force as to deflect the runner. I've hit people in mid air before like what Lavar was trying to do. You've got to give him credit, if Alstott had gone over the top, we might be 6-3, but LA would probably be hurting too. Trying to make a play like that might seem undisciplined to all you armchair-wearers, but that making a personal sacrifice and takes guts.

So let's all quit whining about Lavar this, and Walt that...:violin:

Bring on the Raiders!!

I noticed that LaVar was the first one to pentrate the line of scrimmage on the two point conversion play. The problem is that he decided to Jimmy Superfly over the O line and ended up missing Allstott who came plowing through immediately after. If you watch the video LaVar is litterally upside down when Allstott comes marching through. If he is on his feet does he make that play? Seems like he would have been right there to stuff it.

Not busting on LaVar because he is the man, but does anyone agree that he took himself out of that play by leaving his feet.

Because Allstot catapulted his way over our line earlier.. He was covering that play. Man I would have loved to see that head on collision..

I grew up playing football for years, DT then Linebacker later on. A good rule of thumb is to not leave your feet. But on a goal line stand like that, with someone like Alstott, your hoping that that one guy leaping over the pile will somehow connect with such force as to deflect the runner. I've hit people in mid air before like what Lavar was trying to do. You've got to give him credit, if Alstott had gone over the top, we might be 6-3, but LA would probably be hurting too. Trying to make a play like that might seem undisciplined to all you armchair-wearers, but that making a personal sacrifice and takes guts.

So let's all quit whining about Lavar this, and Walt that...:violin:

Bring on the Raiders!!

Hey man, don't get me wrong. I am not whinning. I'm just talking about the play. Maybe you don't like the topic, but I did not get to see the entire game. This thread helped me realize that Alstott went over the pile twice previously. Without it I would never know.

Archived