Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier quote...

Fitz

From WTEM - during a chat with reporters,SOS was asked which QB would start.

"I dunno. Who do you guys wanna see? I was thinking about saving Danny for Tampa Bay, since he's a Florida boy..."

"How about Ramsey?"

"Nah, we're not going to put Ramsey out there...around here, you've gotta kind of *earn* your way..."

Art, actually I disagree. Wuerffel's shined the most, but he's also the only QB to have never faced NFL starters this preseason. Why wait an extra week to see whether Wuerffel can get it done against starters? What's so magical about having him start againt Tampa?

GoSkins, Sage has the most talent of all the QB's we're considering for the starting position. I think it'd be in our best interest to see him get a grip on this playbook as an insurance policy for Ramsey (I'm really with the thread by ASF a while ago talking about trading Ramsey adn taking the cap hit). sage did well in the first game, btu he was nervous. That should be understandable since its the first game he's started. THen on saturday he played like 10 snaps, and was getting smothered on half of them. On the rest of them he put the ball in the reciever's hands and he wide-out dropped it. Those mental errors dont get counted against Sage. We need to see him in there with teh Starters again. I jsut have a feeling that he can slice and dice this pitt defense and show why he's the best QB on this team.

Originally posted by blakman211

(I'm really with the thread by ASF a while ago talking about trading Ramsey adn taking the cap hit).

Please bury that corpse. As of last Wednesday, we can't trade Ramsey because of the collective bargaining agreement re rookie draft choices.

Blakman,

I agree with starting Sage. I really think he could become an NFL caliber QB under SOS. I just thought the numbers were funny. I really don't see 300yds and 4 TDs coming from a young QB like Sage against the starting Steelers' D in ONE HALF. Color me naive if it happens...

GoSkins, Sage has the most talent of all the QB's we're considering for the starting position.

How do you figure? Comparing Sage with Wuerffel:

Arm Strength: Sage, but not by much

Mobility: DW looks to be more mobile, at least in preseason.

Experience: DW, no comparison.

Reading Defenses: DW, no comparison.

Toughness: Both are tough

Grace Under Pressure: DW is unflappable.

Decision-making: DW by a mile

This is not to say that Sage cannot develop over time; SOS is hot for him and he sems to be a great kid. But there is MUCH more to talent than arm strength. Looking at the entire package, Wuerffel is more talented than ANY Redskin QB at this time, IMO.

Thinking more and more about it, I'm amazed that Spurrier has at least held out the possibility of keeping all 4 QB's. I first thought that maybe it had to do with him wanting to keep the competition hot, and to keep Sage interested and hopeful in making the team even after Ramsey signed. But that's a bit out of character for Spurrier who I could just as easily envision motivating his guys by declaring that he's only keeping 3 QB's, or even asking for Sage's release immediately.

More likely is that he really does like Sage as a young prospect and wants to see if there's a way he can keep him around to develop for one more year. Someone on the board noted that Spurrier and Sage seemed to be getting along really well during a camp visit, and all the offseason reports had Sage working dilligently with the new coaching staff to learn the new system. I'm beginning to conclude that Sage has earned Spurrier's respect as a prospect.

Archived