Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much do we really miss Pierce?

SkinsCrunkin

I'm not here to tell you Pierce is the best MLB in the game. That would be a bold lie, especially since the best MLB in the league IMO is Brian Urlacher. But how much did the loss of Antonio Pierce really hurt our defense? I'll be the first to say that the difference is tremendous. The difference I can see between Lemar Marshall and Pierce is astounding, and none of the differences are physical.

Lemar may even be more physical than Pierce. The difference is how much he understands the defense. This guy knew Williams defense better that Williams himself if you ask me. I constantly remember him moving a DL last year to put them in the right position, or making hand signals checking into the perfect play. His understanding of the other team and the way our defense works was like having Greg Williams being able to stare down the offense right before the play. I watched the Giants game today and they showed how much film he watches before the game, it's absolutely astounding. They had Strahan saying how much Pierce watches film so that he can help put the DL in the right position. This would be huge for us because it seems like sometimes, we have people not lined up correctly and that is what we are lacking.

I for one think that the loss of Pierce is the main thing hurting our D this year. Sure we have had some lackluster performances from some players. Especially, Walt Harris and Warrick Holdman, who I believe are killing this defense with their lackluster performances. But we are seriously missing Pierce and I just hope someone on the Defense steps up and tries to become what he was on the field for us last year. Maybe LaVar?? Nah, he likes being on the film to much, not watching it. HTTR!!

Heck, I'll see your "how much do we miss Pierce" and raise it with "How much do we miss Smoot?"

With Sean Taylor back there, the Smoot-less factor is lessened, but without Taylor today, Smoot's absence was obvious.

This D is NOT the D, nor anywhere near it, of 2004! While I think our linebacking squad did a pretty decent job today, the secondary just blew monkey chunks!

I miss Smoot, Pierce and that first round draft pick that we dont have next year. There are just too many could've, would've, should'ves on this team. Not to mention the had've in the way that we could've used our number one this year if we had've kept smoot.

Archived