Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1/2 distance to goal - please help me understand

Confucius

We have a logical/mathematical fallacy here:

1 - After the touchdown - extra point from the 3 yard line...

2 - False start - shouldn't the Bucs be kicking off from the 8 (the refs never mark it off?)

3 - Kicking again - we block it, but from the 3 yard line.

4 - Offsides ruling and 1/2 the distance to the goal line.

How is it 1/2 the disatance to the goal line when the Bucs have a 5 yard penalty followed by our 5 yard penalty. Shouldn't the play have been from the original line of scrimmage rather than the 1.5 yard line. I had this tivoed and have rewound it numerous times to understand...but I'm still at a loss. Did I miss something obvious or am I simply stupid? Please help.

That was the 1st time I've ever heard of defensive delay of game, of course it's also the first time I've ever seen someone ruled in because of a helmet. Pi$$ poor officiating cost us the game. Today is the day to rant and rave, tomorrow we must cleanse our minds and focus on what's important, this weeks game. Keep the faith and always HAIL!!!

Here's the official play by play:

(Kick formation)

PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced between downs.

(Kick formation) M.Bryant extra point is Blocked (W.Harris), Center-D.Moore, Holder-J.Bidwell.

PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Offside, 1 yard, enforced at WAS 2 - No Play.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. M.Alstott rushes up the middle. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

Here's the official play by play:

(Kick formation)

PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced between downs.

(Kick formation) M.Bryant extra point is Blocked (W.Harris), Center-D.Moore, Holder-J.Bidwell.

PENALTY on WAS, Defensive Offside, 1 yard, enforced at WAS 2 - No Play.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. M.Alstott rushes up the middle. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

Exactly the D jumped into the neutral zone to try and get TB to flinch, that was the delay of game penalty and it was enforced on the kickoff. TB was never called for a false start.

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

That was a baffling call. How can it be delay of game? I don't know the NFL rules that well, but I didnt' understand it. To me it looked like Lavar jumped over the line, and they threw the flag. But they didn't snap it and Lavar didn't touch anyone, so when he moved back there should have been no call. But they threw the flag and blew the play dead so they had to call something. Of course I'm assuming the rules are the same as on a defense play, they may be different.

Archived