Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone help me understand why Betts was in for Portis?!?

cscmtp

last drive, the game on the line, and we have the better running back on the bench. He's a better runner, better pass catcher (he would have made that catch that Betts didn't bring in) AND better pass blocker.

So unless he was hurt, i'd really like someone to explain to me why his was on the sidelines in favor of Betts (who yes, had a nice game, but still!)

And yes, the refs screwed us. again. :mad: :doh:

actually, betts is a MUCH better pass catcher / receiver, and, thats why he was in. We weren't running the ball and portis has hands of stone so........thats why he wasn't in. It makes sense. But I agree it sucks when you can't get one of your premier players involved when it comes down to the wire, but having betts in on passing situations gives us our best chance. Portis is no LT - he's good on the ground but he's nothin special in the air attack.

Same as the eagles having westbrooke on the sidelines last week against us on the last play. You need to have your star in the game. Saying CP doesnt catch well out of the backfield is BS. (sideline catch last week and 2 pointer this week)

I wasn't trying to dog Betts. He played his best game as a Redskin. But Portis IS a great pass catcher, he made a few nice grabs both today and last week. And he IS faster than Betts. So yes, i believe he would have made that catch. Why pay $50+ Million for a guy if you're not going to play him when its on the line? Again, if he's banged up, hurt, fine. Good for him for being honest about that. But if he was healthy and wanting in, and Gibbs called Betts instead, i just don't understand that...

I wasn't trying to dog Betts. He played his best game as a Redskin. But Portis IS a great pass catcher, he made a few nice grabs both today and last week. And he IS faster than Betts. So yes, i believe he would have made that catch. Why pay $50+ Million for a guy if you're not going to play him when its on the line? Again, if he's banged up, hurt, fine. Good for him for being honest about that. But if he was healthy and wanting in, and Gibbs called Betts instead, i just don't understand that...

Portis should have damn well been in the game. That pass would have been perfect for Portis' speed, to which Brunell is accustomed. Having Betts in there at that time was a huge mistake, but not as huge as Gibbs sending Portis up the middle on the series before when a first down would have won us the game. Gibbs pulled a couple of costly bonehead plays this time out, as did Williams, who couldn't get it through his head that they were consistantly burning us deep when we blitzed. This one was lost by the coaches, even more than by other more obvious factors.

Archived