Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Key to this game

SkinsNeverDie

Ball control, we need to control the ball and put our defense on the field as little as possible. Yes, the Bucs have a good D but i believe we can move on them pretty well. With our tainted D line and our bruised secondary we need to have more time on the offensive side of the ball.

I expect Cooley to have a big game.

Ball control, we need to control the ball and put our defense on the field as little as possible. Yes, the Bucs have a good D but i believe we can move on them pretty well. With our tainted D line and our bruised secondary we need to have more time on the offensive side of the ball.

for sure. i always love these kinds of games. 2 great defenses, battling for field position. every 1st down in this game is huge.

1. QB's. Brunell, who could be Comeback Player Of The Year, vs. Simms/Rattay. TB's QB's are not starter material.

2. Safety play. With Taylor more than likely out Galloway might have a huge game, which depends on the QB's.

On occasion our team tends to make ordinary guys look like All-Stars. This shouldn't be the case but that one phrase, "Any Given Sunday."

I hope we can get a good start in the field position battle. Against Philly we were inside the 10 too many times.

We need to let our offense breathe in the beginning to have more chances to possibly break a biggie and take an early advantage.

I hope we receive again but get it out to the 35-40. And than guns away!!!!!

I agree about Cooley. Don't forget about Sellers. At 280, he can pound the Dline on short yardage. He's got great hands, too.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to see the game. But, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see Sellers much more involved with the midfield gains and lots of 3rd down conversions. This should help in keeping our D fresh.

James Thrash is the only one I see we can risk in returning kicks. He did not show me anything worth speaking of in the game against Philly. Sure, we have Ladell Betts. But, I wouldn't want him to risk an injury. Betts out of the offensive equation would be disastrous. And so we must live or die with Thrash.

John Hall looked gimpy in that last game. He will surely be tested in this game and will find himself having to prove again his ability to field a goal 50 yards out. Let's hope that he is flexible enough to avoid aggravating that injury.

Positive turnovers, people, that's what we need to succeed.

I disagree on keys for the game. I say the key is for our defense to generate a couple turnovers. The Bucs offense has been atrochious of late. The defense is #1 in the league. I dont expect their offense to do much, or ours. But if we produce turnovers, and give ourselves good field position for really only the second time this year, we will win.

TB loves the cover2(invented it even) so we will see how our passing game fairs against it. Hopefully we can run the ball on their smaller D line. As for kick returns, Thrash fumbles one punt and everyone is ready to pounce? Thrash is our best punt return man bar none. Yes he fumbled once in the phily game(but he made the right decisions to grab the ball, just lost concentration), but he always produces good punt returns(im talking 10 yards), and is great on punt and kickoff coverage. Betts is a great kickoff guy, because hes fast, and hes got a lot of bulk and power, so he gets it and then IMMIDIETELY turns up field full speed.

1. Run the football. Gotta be patient against a really good Bucs D. Run the ball and wear them out late where we can pass on them to score if need be or keep running to kill the clock. They're an undersized D that will have problems against a power scheme. I expect Portis to get 20+ carries and less than 4 ypc.

2. Get in Simms's face. Simms, like all young QBs do, is going through tough times right now. Not only did the Panther D get in his face last week, hell even the 49er D was forcing him pressure onto him. This could be Lavar's big game and hopefully the big takeaway game our D has been looking for. It will be tough without Griff and Taylor, but the 9ers managed to do it with less talent than we have even with our injuries. Gotta get some sacks and takeaways so we can score off the short field like Carolina did last week.

3. Don't make mistakes. This is a game we should win, albeit close and tough, by just not giving up the ball to the Bucs on a short field and not letting the Bucs hit a big play off a botched defensive coverage. Without Taylor we're going to have to worry about Galloway getting past us in the secondary and can't count out Cadillac to hit a big run or two on a DL minus Griffin. Just play the gaps, tackle right, and force them to drive down the length of the field to score.

Well, I think that is the recipe to beat NY, or Dallas, but these guys have a sorry QB and little offense. I think some real opportunities will exist on defense.

I think the key is have a good passing day and be efficient in the red zone (read - score). I don't expect a big running day. So, I hope we do what we do well - pass.

I think it's to establish the running game on offense. Since our defense is good for at least one long TD a game, our offense needs to put up points. I don't see them being able to do that unless Portis is moving the chains. It will come down to playcalling and execution in the running game. If this happens then Brunell will have more time to find Moss and Cooley, and from there it would be an easy day.

If Portis can't get untracked, close game or a tough loss.

Archived