Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder's early QB desires

hail2skins

Trent Green left to go to St. Louis during the Redskins ownership vacuum during the 1998-99 offseason. Casserly soon made the deal that brought Brad Johnson to DC. However, lore has it that once Snyder officially became owner, he wanted to rescind the Johnson deal. Question: Does anyone know who Snyder did want at QB? Who was our backup at the time (I know Rodney Peete was for the '99 season, but don't remember when we acquired him).

Snyder wanted Jeff George.

How do you know that?

I don't remember a single Jeff George rumor during the 1999 offseason.

The only rumor that I remember was that Dan Snyder asked some folks in the league if the Johnson trade could have been voided. There wasn't a name attached to who Snyder would have wanted instead of Brad. I do remember that in the 94 offseason (year 1 of Norv) there were rumors that we would trade for Jeff George with our 1st round pick, sign Scott Mitchell or draft a QB (Heath or Dilfer). That was the last time I remember George's name being associated with the Skins until 2000.

As for Jeff George, his reputation was pretty bad in 1999 but then he did turn it around....at least for a season. He signed with the Vikings as a backup and didn't cause any problems. Then Cunningham gets hurt early in the season and George goes in and has a great year.

Considering we were loading up for a Super Bowl run in 2000, it made sense to get a back up QB who could come in and do the job if Brad got hurt (which Brad had a reputation for). Like I pointed out early, George had demonstrated the season before that he could be the back up and not cause problems and in fact, he didn't cause any problems in the 2000 season. That was Brad's team (despite having a poor season) until he got hurt. George outperformed Johnson in the 2000 season. Jeff George did a good job when he was in there despite the team beginning to fade in typical Norv fashion. Then George just had the misfortune of being the QB when the entire team finally imploded after Norv was fired.

Things fell apart for George with the Skins when he rebelled against General Schottenheimer's stoneage offense.

Gruden got some decent years out of George in Oakland, so it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he'd suck. Jeff George needed somebody to implant a spine in him and force him to man up. Unfortunately, Norv Turner was probably the least qualified man in the NFL for that task.

As far as who Snyder originally wanted, I don't know if that's a known quantity. Certainly he wanted to rescind the Brad Johnson trade on the grounds that we gave up too much. Hard to argue with him there.

Snyder didn't want George in '99. He went after George in 2000 because SONNY JURGENSEN RECOMMENDED IT. To have the proper perspective, remember the Jets were the pre-season Superbowl favorites in 99, and then Testaverde got hurt and their season went down the toilet. George was brought in and told from the beginning that he would be backing up Brad Johnson.

As for Snyder wanting to void the Johnson deal, it should also be remembered that we were giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a guy who at that point had NEVER been able to stay healthy for an entire season. Just like George, Johnson's entire reputation rested on a half a great season with Minnesota during Randy Moss' rookie year.

I for one, would have rather not done the Johnson deal... Would have much rather stood pat and Drafted Culpepper, or someone else from the 99 draft. Was a pretty deep draft.

actually other than mcnabb, culpepper and 3rd rounder A.Brooks most of them were flops, guys like T.Couch, A.Smith, C.Mcnown (all first rounders). Are any of them even in the league 5 yrs later? I'm not even so sure culpepper is any good without moss. hindsight is always 20/20. here are the results from the 99 draft

http://www.quickstats.com/nfl/draft99.htm

Archived