Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should we do with the donations?

iheartskins

Now that the board is owned by the Skins I say giving the money to a third party not connected with the Skins is not the right direction. The Skins and the league have already held fundraisers for hurricane victims. I say keep the money in the community and purchase tickets for disadvantaged youth in the DC area so that they may have the once in a lifetime opportunity of attending a game. Most ES members can come by a ticket one way or another if they don't have season tix already...give a kid a dream that would never be in the stadium otherwise.

Let me preface what I have to say with the fact that with all due respect, the decision of what to do with the money from donations should be up to what the majority decides. Their money, their decision to donate it, and no matter who owns the site, it's their community. As for what to do with it, charity. I would love to suggest the possibility of putting some into to the Tailgate, but from what little I can gather online, these tailgates are organized in a purely atruistic manner and for altruistic reasons. To bring the family closer together and I commend those who organaize them, ( you 3 know who I'm talking about). If they would accept, certainly a little help their way from those who live vicariously through their threads as well as those who attend wouldn't be problem, ( at least not by me). Personally, I'm in favor of a charity accepted by the membership at large. The players and team have theirs,( and some here give to those), but my feeling is that it be something Extreme. A charity or charities that we agree on and put money into. It's independent of the team but representative of the fans of that team. We're pretty good folks here and we can put money to good causes as well. Either one of those two. Just my 2 cents.

I know this sounds blatantly bias coming from me, but there are a few members (I won't mention names to avoid any animosity) from here that put ALOT of time, money and effort into the ES tailgate and could benefit form a little help via donations or whatever from this site. After all, we do advertise Extremeskins on gameday for thousands to view and members have gone as far as creating 'business cards" for Extremeskins.com to hand out in the stadium and I can tell you first hand that it was a huge success because I had people coming up to me asking if I had anymore.

Anyway, if you don't like that idea, I am all for Nuts idea in bringing a cheerleader to the tailgate. But, if you could put that Panther cheerleader that had that amazing booty in a Redskins outfit, I'm sure you could get even more donations pouring in. :D

What do you mean by this? That it would be disengenious to expect people to support a site that is run by a large organization? If you hold this to be true, then why would the "make a donation buttons" come back? Who would be the recipient of that money if there's no viable recipient to this money? With that said, I understand your point to the extent that expecting people to give money to an entity that's already well funded would not make sense.

I don't know where you are reading that the donations are going to "something less" and I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Certainly the need for donations for site maintenance has diminished since rayprils' thread was started; that I don't contest at all. The point of this thread, which coincidentally I don't think is absurd, is whether we, collectively, can determine if there's a cause that would merit keeping the "bets" in place so that the original intention of rayprils's thread (to help keep ES.com going and to benefit all of the members, thereby) is met in some shape or form.

Where we differ, perhaps, is whether such a cause is out there or if the premise is defeated by virtue of the merger. I maintain that it's not but maybe the responses to this thread will prove otherwise.

Finally, it's obvious that no one, not the staff, not other members, not the 'Skins, has any control over whether a donation is made--so this whole exercise could prove totally theoretical as anyone and everyone can back out whenever and however they please. Then again, that is just as true now as it was when rayprils' thread was started originally.

The situation after the merger is far different than before the merger. Prior to the merger, it seemed that most donations would go to maintaing the site without the need for advertisements and provide for additional resources to enable the site to handle more traffic. Giving out beer and food, although not a bad cause, was probably not the intent of those placing bets in the thread and is "something less" than the pre-merger ES world.

To say that donations pledged to help maintain a site not run for profit, should continue after the site is acquired by the most valuable sports franchise in the world and to call it "backing out" at this point is absurd and insulting. Everyone did not collectively donate and it is not found money that is being determined, but is the generosity of individual members who should determine what should happen. The one's actually pledging donations should have the only say as to what happens.

If ES wants to continue to drive donations, then the make a donation buttons should reappear. I am not against making a charitable donation, but would not give a cent to a religious based one, including Darrel Green's or Joe Gibbs', even if every member wanted to donate to that cause.

The best idea I can think of is the creation of the unofficial ES daily babe site. ES has not been the same without that thread.

I guess I better put my :2cents: in.

As one of the organizers of the ES Tailgate I will be speaking for ME and only ME. I haven't discussed my opinion on this with Huly/Pez, my 4C partners in crime, Raub, and others.

I don't want the money. Plain and simple. This idea was started by Huly through a PM she sent to me a week before the first game. She asked for the 4C's help and we were happy to provide it. We already had our own tent, beer pong table, grill, etc. We were happy to share these items (items that were purchased long before the ES tailgate was a thought) with everyone here.

The original idea was to have a friendly place that members of this site who attend the games regularly...or just attend one game a year...could get together and put a face with a screen name. I enjoy meeting people from this site and I have made some great new friends because of this tailgate. I have always had the philosphy...more the merrier. I enjoy big parties (and yes, the party has grown) so I don't mind tossing a few more beers in the cooler and a few more burgers on the grill as part of the cause. The financial burden on me is not great. Time burden...well....a lot of planning does go into each tailgate (e-mails, Pm's, answering questions on the threads) but that is something that a donation won't fix. If I ever became overwhelmed and this wasn't fun anymore....then I would step away. BUT, I am having a blast and Extremeskins reputation is growing because of the tailgate.

With all of that said...if Pez/Huly or anyone says I am foolish and we need money...I wouldn't deny it. THEY buy the gifts, prizes, food, beer, etc. for the tailgate. I know for a fact they love doing it...and some people have made donations right at the tailgate and this does defray some of the costs. But I am sure their wallet will be hurting after the season. So, like I said I would understand if I am called a fool. If the membership votes to fund this with these bets then I am sure it will be used to make things bigger and better.

To summarize, the ES tailgate wasn't started because we thought we could get money from the site nor did in my wildest dreams did I think there would be an offer of it. It is a place to meet people from the site, party, and get fired up for the game.

The only thing I will ever ask for is ES merchandise so we can further spread the word about the site.

Give the money to Darrell Green's Charity or send some inner city kids to a game. That's my vote.

:logo:

The situation after the merger is far different than before the merger. Prior to the merger, it seemed that most donations would go to maintaing the site without the need for advertisements and provide for additional resources to enable the site to handle more traffic. Giving out beer and food, although not a bad cause, was probably not the intent of those placing bets in the thread and is "something less" than the pre-merger ES world.

Exactly, and that's why I started this thread; as I wrote above, it's not clear if there is any cause or basis post merger and as a result (again) I started this thread to determine if the people donating (and you can check, as I'm among them) had any ideas that could honor the intent of rayprils' original thread.

To call it "backing out" at this point is absurd an insulting.

I don't think I ever accused anyone of "backing out." All I said is that no one has any control over whether people do honor their "bets," so if it's determined that there is no compelling reason to keep the "bets" going, then obviously it's okay if people decline to pay out on their "bets." That includes me and you and everyone else who was involved.

Everyone did not collectively donate and it is not found money that is being determined, but is the generosity of individual members who should determine what should happen. The one's actually pledging donations should have the only say as to what happens.

Right, again, that's why I started this thread, because I'm among those who wanted to donate initially, and I want to see if we can all find a way to keep this thing going.

If ES wants to continue to drive donations, then the make a donation buttons should reappear. I am not against making a charitable donation, but would not give a cent to a religious based one, including Darrel Green's or Joe Gibbs', even if every member wanted to donate to that cause.

This is separate from what is at issue here. We are talking about what we were going to do with whatever "money" was gleaned from the bets, not from donations going forward. If that's something you or anyone else is interested in, then it should be taken up elsewhere.

The best idea I can think of is the creation of the unofficial ES daily babe site. ES has not been the same without that thread.

Ok, now we have an idea of what to do with the money. :)

EDIT: SoCal: I now see your edited post, and have responded accordingly above.

To summarize, the ES tailgate wasn't started because we thought we could get money from the site nor did in my wildest dreams did I think there would be an offer of it. It is a place to meet people from the site, party, and get fired up for the game.

RJ, I hope you didn't read the tailgate idea above as being anything other than an idea to help defray the costs of the ES Tailgate. I don't think anyone thinks that the 4C or Pez or Huly started the ES Tailgates with anything other than incredible generosity in mind. The suggestion to give money to the ES Tailgate was just because those of us who have attended one of them see just how much time, effort, and money goes into them. Recognizing this, it occured to a couple of us that it might make sense to share a little bit of the burden so that you all who are giving so much didn't have as much of a burden.

But, like you say, if this isn't something you (or other organizers of the ES Tailgate) are interested in, then I'm glad to know it so that we can try to pursue other ideas.

RJ, I hope you didn't read the tailgate idea above as being anything other than an idea to help defray the costs of the ES Tailgate. I don't think anyone thinks that the 4C or Pez or Huly started the ES Tailgates with anything other than incredible benevolence and generosity. The suggestion to give money to the ES Tailgate was just because those of us who have attended one of them see just how much time, effort, and money goes into them. Recognizing this, it occured to a couple of us that it might make sense to share a little bit of the burden so that you all who are so giving so much don't have as much of a burden.

But, like you say, if this isn't something you're interested in, then I'm glad to know it so that we can try to pursue other ideas.

I certainly uderstood the intent..I am not as eloquent as some others here. :D

I do appreciate the thought to include it as a possible receipient of the donations. I personally don't think it is necessary. Like I posted earlier...the time is the biggest part of it for me and that's something a donation won't fix. I enjoy doing it and will continue to do so until it isn't fun.

Like I said Pez/Huly may have a COMPLETELY different viewpoint than me.

:silly:

I guess I better put my :2cents: in.

As one of the organizers of the ES Tailgate I will be speaking for ME and only ME. I haven't discussed my opinion on this with Huly/Pez, my 4C partners in crime, Raub, and others.

I don't want the money. Plain and simple. This idea was started by Huly through a PM she sent to me a week before the first game. She asked for the 4C's help and we were happy to provide it. We already had our own tent, beer pong table, grill, etc. We were happy to share these items (items that were purchased long before the ES tailgate was a thought) with everyone here.

The original idea was to have a friendly place that members of this site who attend the games regularly...or just attend one game a year...could get together and put a face with a screen name. I enjoy meeting people from this site and I have made some great new friends because of this tailgate. I have always had the philosphy...more the merrier. I enjoy big parties (and yes, the party has grown) so I don't mind tossing a few more beers in the cooler and a few more burgers on the grill as part of the cause. The financial burden on me is not great. Time burden...well....a lot of planning does go into each tailgate (e-mails, Pm's, answering questions on the threads) but that is something that a donation won't fix. If I ever became overwhelmed and this wasn't fun anymore....then I would step away. BUT, I am having a blast and Extremeskins reputation is growing because of the tailgate.

With all of that said...if Pez/Huly or anyone says I am foolish and we need money...I wouldn't deny it. THEY buy the gifts, prizes, food, beer, etc. for the tailgate. I know for a fact they love doing it...and some people have made donations right at the tailgate and this does defray some of the costs. But I am sure their wallet will be hurting after the season. So, like I said I would understand if I am called a fool. If the membership votes to fund this with these bets then I am sure it will be used to make things bigger and better.

The only thing I will ever ask for is ES merchandise so we can further spread the word about the site.

Give the money to Darrell Green's Charity or send some inner city kids to a game. That's my vote.

:logo:

Damn. Well said Art...er...Ron. ;)

:movefast:

I'm not advocating that the money go to the tailgate as I did not pledge any money and I'm pretty unreliable about showing up at their tailgate.......

That said, you are right on the money. The amount of money that all the organizers of the Unofficial Tailgate spend on the tailgate would really surpise most people.

I usually tailgate w/ 4-8 people. Generally I provide the main course food(s) and do something kinda fun for all home games. Everyone provides their own drinks. It really is amazing how fast the costs add up even just in our little circle. The amount of time expended in preparation is more considerable than most would believe.

I cannot fathom the expenses these ExtremeSkins people incur for hog noses, glow sticks, propane, beer, prizes, pinatas, food and everything else that goes into their tailgates. Maybe I'm wrong, put the organizers of this tailgate don't strike me as people that bring home mid 6 figures every year. They are honest hard working folks that are incurring some serious costs for something they really love to do.

If they don't get any money.......b/c the vast majority of ExtremeSkinners don't go to the tailgate - I'd understand.

However, just take what I type to heart and as much as they say just come and bring nothing - try to bring a little something if you attend. A 12 pack of beer - a blow up doll - a couple bags of chips - something to donate to their prize chest - some award winning chili....some food.......

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the Unofficial Extreme Skins Tailgate will cure cancer.....but I'm sure it will continue to be a fun place for Skins fans to congregate. I just hope they don't ever lose sight of the tailgate being a place for everyone to come together, feel comfortable and just have a good time tailgating and rooting for YOUR Washington Redskins.

GrumpyVet's position is probably the closest to how I feel. The organizers of this tailgate to put out a significant amount of money for the tailgate and are happy to do it.

Some of you are right when it says it only benefits a few compared to the total board, but it does introduce many people to extremeskins. There are alot of people that come up and ask about extremeskins when they see the banner and all the good times going on. This brings more people to the board and hopefully enhances the experience for everyone on the board.

On a little bit of a tangent as RonJeremy said it would be nice if there were some extremeskins items to purchase and wear at the tailgate, or anywhere else for that matter. I know I had an extremskins hat made myself because it was the only way to get one now.

Let me preface this by saying that I was not part of the "bets" that took place. So, I don't feel very comfortable saying where the money should or should not go. But, I will offer my opinions and make a couple comments. Just like RJ, I am just speaking for myself on how I feel regarding this issue.

First, by being a member of 4C I assist in funding, setting up, running, and breaking down the unofficial extremeskins tailgate. The cost to me personally is not enough that I would feel comfortable accepting donations. Like RJ said earlier, we already had our tailgating gear in place because we were going to tailgate at every home game anyway. We just buy a bit more bear, fry up a bit more Scrapple :notworthy , and other food items.

Pez and Huly on the other hand are reaching deeper in their pockets to make this tailgate unique and exciting. There are always props, prizes, and everyone that attends always walks away with an item (necklace, key chain, hog nose, glow stick, etc. ) Some might not think that these are high priced items and there not, but multiply one pig nose by 100 and you start seeing how the price escalates. This does not include around 60 pounds of wings being cooked, propane used, beer, sodas, water, blah, blah, blah. You get the point.

What has been wonderful is that we have very smart, respectful members. Many have offered up food items as well as monetary compensation to the organizers. The money I have received through these donations has covered my costs just fine. If I had participated in these bets and pledged donations I would want some of it to go to Pez and Huly.

As far as where the bulk of the money could go my suggestion would be to help feed the homeless and in need during these cold winter months and perhaps beyond. I would be willing to help set-up and work in a soup kitchen of sorts where we could prepare food and give it out to families in need. This is something that has always interested me.

I understand that the hurricanes ravaged not only land but people's lives. This pains me and if it is decided that the money go towards this cause I think it would be great too.

Just sitting here thinking about it and I thought of a fair way to do it. Since the reason the pledges were made has changed, the people who made the pledges should be given the option of where their money goes.

Give them say 3 choices a charity, the tailgate, or withdraw the pledge. That way the people who made the pledges can feel good about where their money goes. I certainly don't think anyone wants somebody to be thinking darn I can't believe my money went to _________________. I would want them to feel good about their donation just like they would have if it had went to maintaining the site.

Bob, I agree completely with you in principle.

And like I wrote in the first post, we're really just looking for suggestions. Nothing that is posted here is going to be outcome determinative--given how many people smart people post here, we thought it might make sense to open it up and see if the membership could brainstorm and come up with was some cause that's comprable to the cause that spawned this thread before the merger. And obviously, ultimately its in the hands of each person who made a "bet" to decide whether they are behind the cause that the majority selects and whether they want to endorse it or decline.

As you say, given how much circumstances have changed, it would be unfair to expect all those who placed "bets" to give money unless they agree with what's being done with it.

Bob, I agree completely with you in principle.

And like I wrote in the first post, we're really just looking for suggestions. Nothing that is posted here is going to be outcome determinative--given how many people smart people post here, we thought it might make sense to open it up and see if the membership could brainstorm and come up with was some cause that's comprable to the cause that spawned this thread before the merger. And obviously, ultimately its in the hands of each person who made a "bet" to decide whether they are behind the cause that the majority selects and whether they want to endorse it or decline.

As you say, given how much circumstances have changed, it would be unfair to expect all those who placed "bets" to give money unless they agree with what's being done with it.

That's great that you guys are still trying to make something positive out of these "bets". I'm sure for the staff it would have been far easier to just say all bets are off and be done with it. Thats a recurring theme of alot of people I've met from this site. Always trying to make things better even if it is makes things a little bit more difficult for them.

Suggestions:

1. ES pays to get green parking passes for the "unofficial" tailgates to prevent "opposing team" invasion threats as per the Eagles tailgaters from last week.

2. ES can start a fund to help fellow ESers get to games......buy from ebay and brokers to get Skins fans back into the empty seats. "Get the fans back in the seats fund"

3. ES can start a "non-profit" foundation much like the Skins to promote literacy etc. (grammar too for the grammar police :silly: )

4. ES can purchase the pink (ugh) Redskins hats and hand them out to fans at FedEx to promote Breast Cancer awarness.

5. Donate to Red Cross, Salvation Army or Breast Cancer in the name of ES.

6. Put the money in the bank and allow ES Admins/Mods to purchase prizes (Jerseys, footballs, autographs and other Redskins stuff) to give to winners of contests here on ES.

7. Fund to give members ES merchandise for the games (or purchase ES gear at a reasonable/affordable cost).....(can you imagine 30,000 of the 90,000 fans at FedEx wearing ES caps???? I bet we'd get even more membership after that game).

If that doesn't work, I'll be glad to take a contribution to the "goskins" foundation. Me and TO have familes to feed y'know :D

Archived