Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Joe Gibbs script his first 15 plays

skinfan2k

I was just wondering whether joe scripts his first few offesive plays. I dunno but i do know some coaches script their plays in practice and have an intial good drive. Do u think the redskins should try to do this to help their offensive in the first quarter and get a lead?

The scripting of plays only seems to have been done by WCO coaches (Walsh, Holmgren, Gruden, etc.), for whatever reason. I can't think of an exception to that. I've never heard of Gibbs doing that.

makes sense since a WCO is all about timing

script the first few plays, get the timing down, get the QB in rhythm

The scripting of plays only seems to have been done by WCO coaches (Walsh, Holmgren, Gruden, etc.), for whatever reason. I can't think of an exception to that. I've never heard of Gibbs doing that.

This is not true, many coaches script their initial plays and I remember Gibbs being interviewed in the late 80's and asked this question and he didn't back then. However, I don't know whether he does it now.

Norv Turner did script his initial 10-15 plays and he wasn't WCO.

This is not true, many coaches script their initial plays and I remember Gibbs being interviewed in the late 80's and asked this question and he didn't back then. However, I don't know whether he does it now.

Norv Turner did script his initial 10-15 plays and he wasn't WCO.

Actually, Norv did run a hybrid version of the WCO, one that combined elements of the classic WCO (most notably, timing patterns) with a greater emphasis on a physical running game and deeper pass patterns. You saw this at its best with the Dallas teams in the early 90's.

As someone else said, the timing patterns appear to be a large reason as to why the first plays are scripted, in addition of course to the general desire to use a certain mix of plays to feel out what the defense's approach to the game will be.

I never understood the concept. Scripting plays would have to be based on a few LARGE assumptions. No negative plays would be one. The other is that a special situation doesn't arise.

What would you do if you have a FB dive planned and it falls on 3rd and 8?

The WCO's use of many pass plays as substitutes for run plays (e.g., dump offs to the RB's) addresses many of these problems. Because Gibbs' offense doesn't approach the game in this way, that doesn't work for him.

he said last year he didn't like scripting plays, because you didn't what situation your would be in

Thing is, if you look at the most scripts, they do vary based on the situation. They look something like this (this is a WCO script, don't know how Norv did it):

Play #: (1-x)

Down: (1-4)

Distance: (Usually broken down into 2 or 3 yard increments)

Ball position: (Left, Right, Center)

Formation:

Play:

This may have been different back in the 80s since I learned how to script football plays in the late 90s. Further big plays and the like causes use of a different script.

I never understood the concept. Scripting plays would have to be based on a few LARGE assumptions. No negative plays would be one. The other is that a special situation doesn't arise.

What would you do if you have a FB dive planned and it falls on 3rd and 8?

Then you assume that the dive play isn't going to pick up a huge chunk of yards and have a 3rd and long play scripted. In the beginning it makes sense for getting the timing down and a feel for what the D is going to do cause at that point you don't know. I would say the first 15 is a bit much, but definately the first 5-10 plays need to be scripted or on a short list of plays you wanna run.

You have to realize the reason behind scripting plays though. It's not because they're epxecting the defense to play a certain way, its so they can see how they react to specific situations. They then build off of those plays for the rest of the half. Then the same is done for the second half I would imagine.

Andy Reid scripts plays for the Eagles and he's received a great deal of flak from the fans. They equate the script with the Eagles slow starts. I think Reid (or some anonymous Eagles source) said he does it to ensure they test the other team's defense against various situation and to maintain play calling discipline. I personally don't get it.

I don't really like the idea of scripting plays. Even if the main reason for it is that it helps the team build off of the plays. If I were a coach, and I'm not so I really have no business talking, but for sake of conversation I would probably just take each play at a time. You can still see how the defense reacts to the play that you call and build off of it in the future of the game. But whatever Gibbs does, I'm happy with the playcalling this year.

Archived