Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Close to the vest?

Freud69

I have seen a couple people suggest that this week Gibbs will use a very.....uh, well, Gibbs-like strategy against the Bucs. In other words, a very conservative, close to the vest type of game calling.

I dunno, but I would think that this might be one team that you might be able to take out early with some big plays right off the bat. If I were coaching, I would open it up early and often on this team. The Bucs have a pretty fair run defense but I think they can be beaten quite easily should be go to four receiver sets. Get up early on these guys by even just 10 points, and I don't think it is the type of team that can come back. My opinion....open it up early, get a 10-14 point lead, then go to Portis and Betts in a ball control sort of game.

Just my opinion.

I think most teams only suspect trick plays by the home team. I think it would be wise to keep that D of theirs off balance early. A flea flicker, half back pass or a fake FG or punt would do it I think.

The only way the Bucs score more than 20 on us is if we turn the ball over and give them a short field, which we have been know to do.

We have to take our shots down the field. We only went deep once against Philly and we got a pass interference on the goal line. If we get into 3rd and 15 or more, we might as well throw the ball down feild...if it gets picked, then it's just like a punt.

You take the opposing fans out of the game by either scoring a boatload of points (which we don't do) or by controlling the clock. I would like to see Gibbs coach with his Gibbs like approach. The Buc D is seriously overrated (they haven't played an ofensive powerhouse yet). I would run the heck out of Portis, hit Cooley with a few short passes and eat up the clock as much as possible. There is no need to take big chances when we are already turnover prone. Control the clock break even on TOs and we win the game.

I have seen a couple people suggest that this week Gibbs will use a very.....uh, well, Gibbs-like strategy against the Bucs. In other words, a very conservative, close to the vest type of game calling.

I dunno, but I would think that this might be one team that you might be able to take out early with some big plays right off the bat. If I were coaching, I would open it up early and often on this team. The Bucs have a pretty fair run defense but I think they can be beaten quite easily should be go to four receiver sets. Get up early on these guys by even just 10 points, and I don't think it is the type of team that can come back. My opinion....open it up early, get a 10-14 point lead, then go to Portis and Betts in a ball control sort of game.

Just my opinion.

It's a great point...and probably a good idea to give that a try. However, as you know, it's much tougher to actually "get up by a couple scores" on someone than to just say you want to do it.

Obviously against a great D, you can attempt to do that and find yourself down by a couple scores because they've forced you into mistakes.

I think you'll see something in the middle on Sunday. I don't see any reason to deviate from our balanced attack and let Brunell take what they give us.

We havn't seen a trick play in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs threw one in there.

Otherwise, I wouldn't think the offensive game-plan will change too much against ths Bucs. Maybe some more cut-backs, reverses and draws to counter the Bucs defensive speed.

You take the opposing fans out of the game by either scoring a boatload of points (which we don't do) or by controlling the clock. I would like to see Gibbs coach with his Gibbs like approach. The Buc D is seriously overrated (they haven't played an ofensive powerhouse yet). I would run the heck out of Portis, hit Cooley with a few short passes and eat up the clock as much as possible. There is no need to take big chances when we are already turnover prone. Control the clock break even on TOs and we win the game.

Good point on breaking even in turn overs! At this point that would be a huge improvement. There is no way the Bucs can go the length of the field on us too many drives.

We on the opther hand have shown the ability to put together many 13 plus play drives.

Archived