Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drew Rosenhaus- Did he take a indirect shot at Sen Taylor??

Lavarleap56

Drew was doing his job as an agent... Drew was being Drew which has made Drew and his clients millions of dollars. He's a good successful NFL agent. Every agent has their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, Drew's approach to negotiating clearly was NOT suited for the unique situation TO found himself in (seeking to reneg his deal after 1 superb season). That's where TO went wrong: he hired the wrong man for the job ... not to be mistakened with hiring a bad agent. As for Drew's poor choice of words, that was not a shot at Sean Taylor but was a very dumb thing to say given he represents many of those clients who have been in trouble with the law.

Not to in any way diminish off the field troubles, but it is different. A lot of players commit crimes off the field, but not many bring their troubles into the locker room and directly hurt the team with their off-field problems, except where they personally face suspensions, etc. The Eagles banned Owens for "conduct detrimental to the team". Regardless of the legality, Owen's actions have directly hurt the team and their chemistry, and their season is now unravelling as a result.

Drew is comparing apples and oranges.

...and it doesn't work.

:ciao:

True, Rosenhaus is a slim ball, but let’s not forget that TO is the final decision maker. It's not as if Rosenhaus MADE TO bad mouth his QB and team, demand a new contract, and act like an @%%. TO did this all by himself. Rosnehaus has many clients, including some Redskins and they seam to being doing just fine.

Drew was doing his job as an agent... Drew was being Drew which has made Drew and his clients millions of dollars. He's a good successful NFL agent. Every agent has their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, Drew's approach to negotiating clearly was NOT suited for the unique situation TO found himself in (seeking to reneg his deal after 1 superb season). That's where TO went wrong: he hired the wrong man for the job ... not to be mistakened with hiring a bad agent. As for Drew's poor choice of words, that was not a shot at Sean Taylor but was a very dumb thing to say given he represents many of those clients who have been in trouble with the law.

I m not trying to call someone out, but do you work for Mr Rosenhaus? Drew, is that you?

'Drew was just being Drew' - sounds a lot like 'TO ws just being TO'

'Which has made he and his clients millions of dollars' - uh, the players earn the millions of dollars. Rosenhaus just signs the paperwork and collects 3%

'He's a good successful NFL agent' - I would NOT call getting your stud WR TO thrown off a team being a good agent. Nor would I call encouraging ST to stay away, which *directly* landed him in trouble with the law, the hallmark of a good agent.

'Drew's approach to negotiating clearly was NOT suited for the unique situation TO found himself in (seeking to reneg his deal after 1 superb season)' - again, see above. The same fool move he tried with ST. Earth to Drew - a contract is a contract. You sign it, you honor it.

'he hired the wrong man for the job ... not to be mistakened with hiring a bad agent' - No, that's exactly the job. The agent handles these matters. It *does* make him a bad agent.

And while I do not believe that Rosenhaus was taking a shot at ST, he did in essence lump anyone who got in trouble as a thug, unlike the 'loveable' TO - and were I ST, I would take umbrage. Now, I think ST has made more than a few mistakes where choice of agents are concerned, but I think it's time for him to get a new one. Please?

True, Rosenhaus is a slim ball, but let’s not forget that TO is the final decision maker. It's not as if Rosenhaus MADE TO bad mouth his QB and team, demand a new contract, and act like an @%%. TO did this all by himself. Rosnehaus has many clients, including some Redskins and they seam to being doing just fine.

I completely agree with you. TO is the one who would not read the complete apology. Drew did not tell him to take verbal shots at McNabb. He is a great agent and this is one time that he has gotten screwed.

This is from Chris Mortenson's chat on ESPN today

Gregg Boston: Mort, love your insight. I know Rosenhaus had got a lot of playeras a lot of cash, but his tactics seem to have backfired in TO's case. Will any team seriously consider Owens while Drew is his representative?

Chris Mortensen: Yes, because most teams believe that once Drew is involved in negotiations he is a very fair. In fact, he has gotten criticism in some cases for not getting the maximum market dollars - that's a subjective argument. But Drew is known as a dealmaker. He's also a noisemaker and in this case he had no leverage and the wrong organizations.

Im just saying that Drew should not be blamed for this whole situation. He does his job and he is good at it.

the problem highlighted in Rosenhaus' statements is simply that it's impossible to have as many clients as he does (which is by far the most of an agent in the NFL) and not have conflicts of interest with those clients. He definitely has a style and almost a formula for getting players traded and/or getting them new contracts. I don't think its so much that his approach didn't work because it was T.O., but I think it's more because of the Eagles organization. They have shown many times (i.e. Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, etc.) that they are willing to let a guy go rather than over-paying him.

Of all the people he's done this for, this is probably the first time it didn't work. It remains to be seen if other teams will be willing to play hardball the way the Eagles did the next time Drew tries this.

Drew won't ever be banned. His client list is way too long, and there are rules in the collective bargaining agreement that prevent an agent from losing his certification for tactics used by the agent during negotiations.

It would be interesting, however, if T.O. could prove that D.R. was only trying to get the contract for his commission and not for T.O.'s best interest. That would be enormously hard to prove, but if he could, he could sue Rosenhaus for a breach of his fiduciary duties as an agent.

What kills me is that TO and his agent are using other player's actions as a subtle means to justify/down play TO's dumb antics. IMO it is entirely the wrong approach. They should worry about their situation and not drag anyone elses situation into this.

TO has complete control over his destiny up untill the moment where he opens his mouth. He should be well aware of this by now. He has no one to blame but himself. I hate the way he bashes other players to make himself look good. Being self-centered is bad. Being a self-centered, back stabbing fool, is even worse.

And all that could not sink or swim was just left their to float.....

Guest sith lord
During the whole T.O. Press confrence i feel Drew possibly opened up a can of worms concerning alot of his own clients and especially Sean Taylor. Heres the statement

"There are players in the NFL who are arrested, who violate the program when it comes to drugs or substance abuse, and they are not punished as seriously as he has been," Rosenhaus said. "There are players who do not get criticized as heavily by the media who do very significant things. He hasn't broken any laws. He hasn't broken any rules. . . . We're focused exclusively on Terrell playing for the Philadelphia Eagles right away.

Anyone think that Alienates one client while trying to save another?? I think Sean Taylor is agent shopping next season.

I think he taking shots at Jamal and Ray Lewis.

In T.O.'s fake apology Drew Rosenhaus, in the public eye and in the eye of every NFL player, also made himself and T.O. look like complete idiots. Hopefully this won't just be the end of T.O. but also the end of the Rosenhaus era. Looking forward to how many people drop him as an agent.

I m not trying to call someone out, but do you work for Mr Rosenhaus? Drew, is that you?

'Drew was just being Drew' - sounds a lot like 'TO ws just being TO'

'Which has made he and his clients millions of dollars' - uh, the players earn the millions of dollars. Rosenhaus just signs the paperwork and collects 3%

'He's a good successful NFL agent' - I would NOT call getting your stud WR TO thrown off a team being a good agent. Nor would I call encouraging ST to stay away, which *directly* landed him in trouble with the law, the hallmark of a good agent.

'Drew's approach to negotiating clearly was NOT suited for the unique situation TO found himself in (seeking to reneg his deal after 1 superb season)' - again, see above. The same fool move he tried with ST. Earth to Drew - a contract is a contract. You sign it, you honor it.

'he hired the wrong man for the job ... not to be mistakened with hiring a bad agent' - No, that's exactly the job. The agent handles these matters. It *does* make him a bad agent.

And while I do not believe that Rosenhaus was taking a shot at ST, he did in essence lump anyone who got in trouble as a thug, unlike the 'loveable' TO - and were I ST, I would take umbrage. Now, I think ST has made more than a few mistakes where choice of agents are concerned, but I think it's time for him to get a new one. Please?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is not Drew. In any event, to presume that because a guy earns 3% means that he has not made millions from his clients is a bit naive. For starters a quick arithmetic lesson will tell you that a guy who has negotiated over $34million in signing bonuses (alone) has earned over a mill. Then you've obviously assumed that the 3% cap applies to all moneys negotiated by the agent all the while forgeting that the 3% cap does not apply to endorsment deals (or other non-football money) negotiated by agents. So yes, he might look like a sleeze ball, but a laundry list of his clients shows that a lot of players don't feel the way you do about Drew. As for being the wrong guy for the job: not every agent's negotiating skill fits the tools needed to handle a unique situation. If you can't understand that elementary fundamental, I am sorry. TO's case is unique given that he was looking to reneg a contract with a team that has a track record of being cheap. Philly does not rengotiate. That is their MO. When you are negotiating from a position of weakness, TO needed a guy who could come in in a low keyed fashion and handle things diplomatically. See how Westbrook's deal was handled. He was under contract yet received an extension. 'Low key' has never been Drew's style. As a matter of fact, Drew is the opposite of that description, but it has worked for him and made him one of the most sought after agents in the business. The morale of the story is that the most sought after agent is not always the best man for the job.

Archived