Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for the Old Men Here: Riggins

grhqofb5

Great Posts so far gentlemen (and ladies).

Question: During the mid 80s, was there a feeling in Washington that Riggins was being "pushed out" by the emergence of George Rogers? Did Riggins and Rogers get along or was there some tension there?

By the time they got Rogers, Riggins back had gotten pretty bad. I think everyone knew that Riggins was just about done. I don't know what Riggins and Rogers relationship was like but I don't recall ever hearing either one gripe.

Speaking of George Rogers, I heard Riggo talking last year on WTEM and he said something that I hadn't been aware of and found pretty interesting. Steve Czaben was talking about the Counter-Trey and how it was designed for a big back like Riggins and Czabe didn't feel that Portis was a good fit for it. Riggo then said that it actually had been designed for Rogers and that they had never run it before Riggo's last year in 1985. He then said that Portis' size wasn't an issue but he just needed to be more patient and wait for the blockers to do their job.

I used to laugh at the counter trey or counter gap whatever you want to call it. I used to imagine being a cornerback on the opposing team in the 4th quarter when Gibbs was leading and the Skins needed to take a little air out of the ball (hold the ball and use up some clock). IF I manage to avoid blocks by Russ Grimm (290) and Joe Jacoby (300+?) pulling and running straight at me, THEN I get to tackle Riggins running at full speed straight at me. THEN IF I manage to stop or slow Riggins down and can get up and get back to the huddle, THEN I get to do it all again...and again... and again... No wonder the Skins could eat up the clock. Guys on the opposing teams were looking at their watches wondering if the game would ever end.

I was a kid when Riggins was playing and may have had a different view of NFL players than I do as an adult, but I can see no way in hell that Riggins and Me.O are even close to being the same type person. Riggins was crazy but he was considered a good teammate and as stated before, respected the game more than Me.O. He was a hardnosed player who played hard on every down and didn't play half ass or trash his teammates, at least not to my knowledge. He was outspoken but not a detriment to the team. He was considered "colorfull" yet lovable.

Riggins was the hardest runningback, thats when football was REAL football. NO free agency,you could chuck the reciever all the way to the endzone Pat Fisher the small maniac corner,he would have been all over "me O",they let the quarterbacks get hammered. His O line was the best they knew it!

Now you got what you got

bull s&*^ball-all about money.

I think the biggest thing with Riggins was that he didn't drag everyone else into his battles. I don't think RIggins needed the limelight, that's why he "retired". Notice how as soon as the Eagles suspended TO, he did a complete 180 and is trying to get back on the team. Riggins didn't need football to survive, TO does.

grh,

Riggins was well loved by teamates, fans, and the media. You heard all that he did in this thread, except how he spent weeks in Sibly Hospital inbetween games, in traction, then get up a play another game. Week in and week out the media would say john riggins didn't practice this week then later in the week you would hear that he was recooperating in the hospital. And he never complained.

here's too quick stories. My mother in law was a nurse in Arlington hospital, where Riggins went later in his career. Well she took care of him several times. One time

he had a minor surgery and was in the recovery room unconsious, and my mother and law, along with several other nurses were checking out his lower unit, she said it impressive.

My friend, who lived down the block from me in Arlington was having a X-mas party

in the late 80's. His mother worked at an arlington co. library and had invited female

co-worker to the party. She had told the hostess that she was dating John Riggins, and

my friends mom said why don't you bring him. She felt awkward and didn't bring

Riggo. So about an hour after she got to the party, there was a knock on the door,

and it's John Riggins. He had had a few, left his ford pickup parked precariously on Glebe rd. Anyway My friends parents invited him in (they were huge fans who wasn't) but the girlfriend of Riggo was imbarassed and made him leave with her

What did Redskins fans think of Riggins back in the day? History rewrites everything but this is how I remember it…

1-Redskin fans consider Riggins the ultimate non-glam runner. Rest of the world acts like he's just another dependable back.

2-Riggins antics like hair cuts are laughed off like dumb jock moves by Redskins & football fans alike.

3-Riggins sits out. Pretty much considered king of the dumb jock moves among Redskin & football fans alike. But no one dwells on it like they do today because sports news is still considered a side show like the weather to "real news" (like Mr. riggo44miami said - no sports channels, no scrolling headlines, no commentary stories/shows/personalities, just data).

4-Riggins returns to everyone's snickers. After a good laugh at Riggins' expense no one dwells on it or cares (again the nature of media & fans back then). Riggins plays into it with his "I'm bored, I'm broke, I'm back." statement.

5-Riggins becomes the epitome of the clutch RB in Superbowl 17. Redskins nation basks in vindication as their ultimate non-glam runner, stars in the best superbowl runningback highlight ever. The rest of the world now sees Riggins as Redskin fans do.

6-History is very forgiving of Riggins antics. Free agency makes sit-outs for rookies common place. Overpaid players make Riggins look down right stoic and even vindicate him a little for the stand he made before free agency. And new scandals involving murder, under-aged sex, gun busts, drug busts make the stunts Riggins pulled look like "The Wonder Years" of Henry V.

Conclusion: Riggins was as big a rebel as there was in a much more innocent day, history has dressed it up nicely. Bottom line - in his playing days Riggins was probably given too hard of a time :doh: :shot: , and in his retirement probably given too much of a pass for what a hard ass he was. :notworthy

Simply said, he was the most punishing runningback the Redskins ever had; perhaps the entire NFL.

John Riggins was, simply put, the most dominating power RB in NFL history...in Super Bowl XVII, the Miami defense was utterly unable to contain the Redskins' "one back attack"...and the 'Skins rode the Diesel all the way to their first World Championship.

It was almost 23 years ago, but I remember that 4th-down run like it was yesterday...and I agree, it was probably the single greatest play in Redskins history.

It was fourth down...they went for the first down...and they got the TOUCHDOWN!!!

:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

Riggins was free spirited and a character off the field. Biggest difference in

him and TO was the way he treated his teammates. His teammates loved

him, because they knew he had their backs. The OL loved him, because

he could make them look good. He never complained about the blocking.

You never heard Riggins speak out against Joey T.

The fans adored him and his antics, because they never caused a problem

on the field.

Probably the biggest thing he did on the field that was different...was the day he walked to midfield at RFK and bowed to the fans. I don't think I've

experienced a stadium go nuts like that since.

Riggins, different as he was, loved the fans (as much as they loved him) and

he showed that appreciation.

Riggins was well respected, but he also wanted the ball more and more money. When Gibbs tried to convince Riggo to come back, Gibbs went to Riggo's farm in Kansas, and Riggo said He would only come back if he would get the ball. So Gibbs stood by his word. Riggo was always a team guy. He hung out with the team with the 5 o'clock club and drank beers at the equipment shack. They had a comradery with Riggins, he was a leader and a true teammate. Back then the guys smoked cigars together and weren't about money. Just playing football and having a good time.

People should not even speak Riggins and that loser in the same breath.

Archived