Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

De-Norvization has to continue this weekend!

hail2skins

OK, Mr. Turner doesn't arrive in DC until Sunday the 20th. But you remember Norv.....the guy who is symbolic of the Redskins futility during post-Gibbs I. We accepted Norv's struggles during his first two seasons.....after all, he was rebuilding a team that had plummeted from its glory period the year before he arrived. But then there was 1996, with the Skins getting off to a 7-1 start before the roof starting caving in with a blowout loss at Buffalo and a loss at home to the Cards where Boomer Esiason threw for over 500 yards. But then we went up to Philly and won a tough game, and at 8-3 few thought the Skins weren't heading to the postseason. Then, after a tough OT home loss to the Niners, the schedule gods aligned us with three straight road games. After another loss to a good Cowboys team, we headed on to play what looked like very beatable opponents in Tampa (who finished 6-10) and Arizona (who finished 7-9). I don't have to tell you what happened, except that we were 8-7 by the time those two games were over, and out of the playoffs. Although Norv eventually got this team a division crown and playoff berth, it seems like it came several years later than it should have.

Fast forward to 2005. Gibbs comes back and after a rough first year has the Skins on the right track at 5-3, including a big win against Philly. At this point I think 10-6 is going to be needed to merely make the playoffs, much less garner the division title. Yes, we have four games at home, where we've been unbeaten so far, but our road games include those same two teams we played in '96. Tampa is 5-3 but struggling with a new QB. Arizona is.....well, probably the same team we played in '96! I don't think they ever change.

Before the season two games I mentioned as the most important ones during the first half of the season were the one at Dallas and the one against Philly. I felt that we needed to win at least one of the two to get over the hump, We bonused and won both. To be sure, we have some tough home games left , notably against Marty's Chargers, Tuna's Cowboys, and the Jints. However, I feel confident that the 12th man will be up for the task this year and help the Skins take care of business in at least a majority of the FedEx games. The games I worry most about are the ones against Tampa and Arizona. The types of games that the Norv Turner Redskins frequently seemed to lose. The games that playoff-bound teams need to win. Lets get it started Sunday!

I almost feel bad for Raiders fans. We are all too familiar with the mediocre results Turners gets and the stupid mistakes that lead to his teams downfalls regularly. But....I will enjoy watching the Gayders get pounded at Fedex.

I sure don't.

If we can't get the satisfaction of avenging our Super Bowl XVIII defeat we can do the next best thing......curse them with Norvitis.

I'm not at all sure that Norvitis isn't worse. I've got a good friend who's a big Raiders fan and I offered him my most sincere apologies when they signed Norv. He didn't believe me then but he's starting to understand.

Give the Raiders another few years of this and I'll be over XVIII.

The outbreak of Norvitis in the Oakland area last weekend was amazing. That was as pure of form of Norvitis as I've ever seen-- incredible.

As for the Redskins, I've officially buried the "Norvitis" tag........ah just gave me an idea for another thread..........:)

I saw clips of Norv's press conference after the Raiders lost to the Chiefs. He was talking about how his team "competed". I wanted to laugh my *** off. I remember that "we really competed" line after almost every Norv loss here. How I hated that! I can't believe Al Davis hired him. WHAT was he thinking???

It's really funny how that game went down.

Raiders could have buried the Chiefs early, but the offense kept sputtering and the game stayed close. Seen that before.

Then, the Raiders completely broke down and had a collective team brain fart that quickly led to a 20-9 deficit. Seen that before.

Then, they looked like the best team in the league for about half a quarter as they rallied and took a 23-20 lead. Seen that before.

Then, the Chiefs get the ball and immediately begin marching down the field. Seen that before.

At this point, with the ball around midfield and time winding down, it looks as if overtime will be the best case scenerio for the Chiefs. Seen that before.

Larry Johnson is continually wide open out of the backfield. Seen that before (Amp Lee for the Rams in 1997 anyone?)

Then, with virtually one last play to improve their field goal range, the Chiefs drop a dump-off to Johnson who is inexplicably 100% uncovered. Not only is he uncovered, but there isn't a Raider in sight as Johnson rumbles to the 1 yard line. Seen that before.

Instead of ending the misery right there and then, the Raiders actually tackle Johnson at the 1. Seen that before.

Then of course, the Chiefs roll the dice, hand it off, and win on the last play of the game. Seen that before.

Norv looks almost sad on the sideline, but not surprised at all as he hands off his headset and trudges on to the field. Why is not surprised. BECAUSE WE'VE ALL SEEN IT BEFORE!!!!

One of my best friends is a Raider fan. We talk a little bit of trash when the teams play but he is generally a very knowledgeable football fan and knows what he’s talking about.

When Norv was hired he was very excited. I tried to explain to him what was in store for his Raiders. He brushed my (fake) concerns for his Raiders aside.

Now in year two of the Norv experiment he understands. His teams lose the EXACT same way ours used to lose under Norv. How is that even possible?!? The only logical explanation is Norv is cursed and so are the teams he coaches. Nothing else makes sense. ;)

I'm glad he's gone. Maybe he can replace Parcells when he retires. I'm sure Norv will be available after this season.

I was watching the Raiders/Chiefs game with my girlfriend on Sunday. The Raiders marched down the field and scored there at the end. There was like a minute and a half left. I looked at here and said "The Raiders will loose this game". She presetned a multitute of reasons why that was un-likely, mostly the ammount of time left. She said it would at the least go to overtime. I told her I was SURE the game would not go to overtime and the Raiders would loose. 1 reason. Norv Turner. I was right, some things never change.

I've always found it odd that the last coach to make the playoffs, and was still in the hunt when he was fired, is the considered "symbolic of the Redskins futility during post-Gibbs" era.

Well, you have to put it in context.

As an organization we were coming off of one of the most successful periods in Redskin history. A playoff appearance under Gibbs was not unusual at all; in fact it was almost expected. We were a little spoiled as fans.

Gibbs rides off into the sunset and Richie takes over for one forgettable year and then comes Norv. Norv was hailed by the media as the “next big thing” due to his success in Dallas. He promptly came in and went 3-13, then 6-10 in his first two seasons. In fact his first 5 years here were awful to witness for anyone who was familiar with how the team was coached before he arrived.

If you asked me to describe Norv’s teams I’d say that the offense was decent. It was based on a power running game and receivers who could get downfield. So far so good right?

You could also say that his teams lacked discipline and would almost without fail make mental mistakes that would cost us ballgames with alarming regularity. So much so that as fans we almost expected it, I know I did. It also didn’t seem to matter who the players were or coaches were on the defensive side of the ball, we were going to be so-so.

The 99' season that Norv made the playoffs was a fluke IMO. Yes we had some talent but I knew in my heart that the team simply was not as good as their record and was no Super Bowl contender regardless of how close they came to the NFC championship game. Johnson’s arm was dead by mid season and we limped into the playoffs.

Was I excited as a fan? Sure, but I was also jaded by years of disappointment. Players came and went but the team was the same. Was Norv treated well when he got fired? Nope. Those are the breaks though. Saying that we were "still in the playoff hunt is being a little naive knowing how the team had a history of falling apart under pressure.

I was one of the few that thought Marty was doing a decent job of turning things around in his one season here. I was upset that he and the organization couldn’t work things out. I was pulling for the Old Ball Coach too but it became clear early on that the experiment wasn’t going to work.

I don’t dislike Norv as a person. I think he did the best he could, but you don’t need to look any further than Oakland to see what his best is. That will be his last head coaching chance. I’ll bet Al cuts him loose after this season. He’s not going to get 7 years there like he did here.

Well, you have to put it in context.

If you asked me to describe Norv’s teams I’d say that the offense was decent. It was based on a power running game and receivers who could get downfield. So far so good right?

Another thing about the Norvian years: we always had one good offensive drive, our first offensive drive, in the first quarter. This was the drive that Norv had scripted. Unfortuneately, there are 4 quarters in a football game.

Alright, I can sort of understand you worrying about the Bucs, they have a good defense.

But, I have no idea why you would worry about the Cardinals! They don't have any strong points in their team overall... (offense or defense)

I don't understand why you wouldn't worry about the Chargers, either. They are a pretty well-rounded team. I fear we will have trouble with LT...

:2cents:

Another thing about the Norvian years: we always had one good offensive drive, our first offensive drive, in the first quarter. This was the drive that Norv had scripted. Unfortuneately, there are 4 quarters in a football game.

Excellent point. I remember that too. We would march down the field to start the game and I'd start thinking to myself "Hey, we look good.” Then I'd get slapped back into reality.

I just knew that if it came down to having to make a play at the end of the ball game that we would find a way to choke. It happened way too many times to be coincidence.

I've always found it odd that the last coach to make the playoffs, and was still in the hunt when he was fired, is the considered "symbolic of the Redskins futility during post-Gibbs" era.

Yes, that was a brilliant 6-year rebuilding plan he implemented. I loved how it involved consistantly losing to every team in the division, including the Cardinals.

Let that sink in for a moment: Over a span of seven years, Norv Turner had a losing record against the Arizona Cardinals.

Wanna know what his Raiders' record is so far against the AFC West? 1-8.

What a stunning coindcidence. :)

Turner was let go because he wasn't tough enough.

Marty was let go because he was too tough.

The Ball Coach was let go because he was even worse than the first guy.

You guys are right it all boils down to Norv.

If you want us to throw some blame Snyder's way for our teams futility since 1999, then sure. I think hiring Marty was a mistake. I think firing him was another mistake. Spurrier was a disaster.

Big deal.

None of that changes the fact that Norv Turner was what he was. His teams were undisciplined on offense and downright terrible on defense. Once in seven years here did he have a winning record against the division: We were 4-3-1 against the East in 1997.

I think Norv's a nice guy and a decent coordinator, but honestly I was shocked, horrified and amazed that anyone would hire him to be a head coach ever again. The fact that his team today looks EXACTLY like it did in DC only solidifies that amazement.

That's not giving a get-out-of-blame-free card for Snyder. It's simply noting the phenomenon of watching the same train wreck on another track.

I don't understand why you wouldn't worry about the Chargers, either. They are a pretty well-rounded team. I fear we will have trouble with LT...

:2cents:

Hey, the only reason I have SD penciled in as a (tentative) "win" is because it's at home.

Same with the Giants and Cowboys.

Archived