Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is our #2 receiver?

freakofthesouth

So it's late in the fourth, and we are driving.

Mike Sellers just bulled his way past mid-field for us, and Joe Gibbs is methodically removing the hopes of any comeback that the Eagles were praying for.

We faced a third-and-long when Gibbs called Patten's number.

The play was executed, the protection outstanding, and the throw was brilliant.

The catch was...non-existant.

Patten whiffed an opportunity for the Skins to dominate this game. We would surely have put it in the endzone w/ the kind of drive and emotion we had, if Patten would have just kept both of his feet in bounds, a fundametal, chronically-practiced drill for every wide receiver in the NFL.

It's situations such as this that make me concerned about the disappearance of our #2 receiver. Now that Moss has emerged, defenses are remedying our attack by rolling coverage to Moss. This leaves a major opportunity on the other side of the field for our X receiver. But yet, it isn't developing like that.

Someone else needs to step up and play. This begs the question- when will Taylor Jacobs be ready to deliver? He has shown promise; maybe has has the Darnarien Syndrome (or Darkarien, if you are Steve Spurrier)- he can't practice well.

Does anyone else on the board see the issue here?

i do. i like David patten. but it is coming a concern with me because moss is doing great and cooley is doing great. but to me it seems like sellers gets the ball more than patten.

its like when patten's # is called he just isnt producing. maybe he's just in a slump and work his way out in the upcoming weeks. We need to do something

HTTR!!!!

I think that he could play better and I think he will. Brunell has been on fire throwing to Moss and Cooley. Teams havent been able to stop them. You cant really blame him on that catch on the sideline. Thats a tough play to make definetly for a smaller wideout without the wingspan and long legs. You make it seem like Brunell put a perfect pass out there that allowed him to stop with both feet in bounds. Just because he isnt playing lights out right at the moment lets not throw him under a bus just yet.

Are we talking about the play that he got the PI call on? Because if so, that ball was under-thrown...

No, not that play.

This was in the fourth quarter, and the Skins were in Eagle territory. Brunell made an amazing throw on the run right on the money to Patten. He made the catch, but only had one foot in bounds. Had the catch been made, it would have been a first down in the red-zone.

Does that sound familiar?

I think that he could play better and I think he will. Brunell has been on fire throwing to Moss and Cooley. Teams havent been able to stop them. You cant really blame him on that catch on the sideline. Thats a tough play to make definetly for a smaller wideout without the wingspan and long legs. You make it seem like Brunell put a perfect pass out there that allowed him to stop with both feet in bounds. Just because he isnt playing lights out right at the moment lets not throw him under a bus just yet.

Nah, disagree w/ you here. I have watched that play a few times now, and he absolutely should have had both of his feet in bounds. Brunell put it right on the money.

To be honest, I feel like Patten was surprised that the ball was as accurate as it was.

And I am throwing him under the bus. Two weeks ago vs the Giants, we started to move the ball a bit and faced a similar third down situation. After Brunell made another on-the-money throw to Patten, he dropped a sure first down and a momentum change.

Hey, I just wanna see the guy come through in clutch situations. He has made some great plays, particularly vs. San Fran. But he needs to take advantage of the matchups out there w/ Moss on the other side. And if he's not executing fundamental play, I will question his ability to do so.

Are we talking about the play that he got the PI call on? Because if so, that ball was under-thrown...

Actually I don't think that pass was underthrown...Patten just kind of stopped running thinking that it was and tried to adjust and got pulled down...but where the ball ended up in the enzone was past where Patten was by a good 5-6 yards. I may have a faulty memory on that one though.

I agree w/ FotN here a good bit though. He needs to talk less about how he is unhappy with his role and make more plays...the ball will then find him more if he actually catchs what is thrown to him. It's only the midpoint through the season though so he still has some time to come through.

Nah, disagree w/ you here. I have watched that play a few times now, and he absolutely should have had both of his feet in bounds. Brunell put it right on the money.

To be honest, I feel like Patten was surprised that the ball was as accurate as it was.

And I am throwing him under the bus. Two weeks ago vs the Giants, we started to move the ball a bit and faced a similar third down situation. After Brunell made another on-the-money throw to Patten, he dropped a sure first down and a momentum change.

Hey, I just wanna see the guy come through in clutch situations. He has made some great plays, particularly vs. San Fran. But he needs to take advantage of the matchups out there w/ Moss on the other side. And if he's not executing fundamental play, I will question his ability to do so.

I understand your frustration, I really do. I just think he will have a good second half of the season and prove his worth.

He's wearing #47. And he's sick.

i believe the term yer lookin for is "sik wit it"

anyway ya patten needs to step it up big time he hasnt done hardly anything

my suggestion: draft santonio holmes from ohio state

if anyone has payed any attention to that guy he is absolutely amazing but in terms of short term solutions someone needs to light a fire under pattens a$$ or start thrash or jacobs but that formation with portis patten cooley and moss split out wide was amazing against the eagles im all for usin that a LOT more

I was really surprised at how often Mr. Cooley lined up as a wideout. He's really one of the most versatile guys around.....he lines up everywhere and puts his hands around anything even remotely close to him......even Redskin cheerleaders.....

Patten has been a little underwhelming and I hope he can get in groove here pretty soon.

I'd say the #2 wide receiver is Patten, although Thrash is knocking at the door.

I'd say the #2 receiver is Cooley, Patten, Portis, Thrash, Sellers and Betts.

Tyler Jenkins is a non-factor and is frustrating the crappola out of me.

As we employ H-backs, I think we need to trade in our Tight Ends for some defensive linemen.....our TEs don't exist this year.

Archived