Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would we have gone for the TD?

LarryBrownsFan

My hat's off to Dick Vermiel. That was a gutsy call to go for the touchdown instead of the field goal at the end of their game. I've always said that a team that couldn't get one yard when they really needed it, didn't deserve to win.

But that got me thinking, ... remembering, actually, of when we had the Diesel and the Hogs. If we had been in that position I'd have been up and screaming,

"YEAH BABY! GO FOR IT!" There wouldn't have been the least bit of hesitation. What a great feeling for a fan to have!

But now... well, I think I'd hesitate. And that's not such great feeling.

Anybody think we'd have gone for it?

We have NO goalline/short yardage blocking and running play that works with the exception (MAYBE) of Sellers. The O-Line gets absolutely NO push. Defensive line is always in the backfield. It's quite sad actually. No, Gibbs would have kicked the field goal and gone into overtime.

Definitely a gutsy call...

I liked it though. I know if you miss, then you lose and look like a fool. But for crying out loud...you are on the one yard line. What are the chances you will get back there (or in FG position) if you go to overtime? You are probably looking at an 80% chance of scoring (at least) with that line and those RB's.

...of course, that's why I am not an NFL head coach...easy for me to say, but I liked the call...a lot.

I like the call. You have the ball on the 1 yard line, you get 1 yard you win the game, its over go home happy.

If you just line up and kick field goal you get over-time. Nothing is for certain in over-time.

I think I like the idea of, "if we get one yard we win". But of cource they have a great running game and a good line, not sure if its as easy for us, we normally have to run some sort of play action roll out pass to Cooley or Sellars to get it in the endzone.

with our luck, we would get stuffed, and we arent confident enough in our running game I think... then again, we could try the same play where we went for two vs. denver, and this time al wilson (or ian gold, forgive me i forgot)'s hand wont be in the way :)

but anyways, in that situation, i woul dlike to play it safe for the sake of my heart

no way would Gibbs have gone for the TD , he would kick the field goal and go to overtime -- however I wish he would allow the team to take a few more chances and give them a shot at making the gut plays work , in effect telling them that he believes that they have what it takes to get it done :) hats off to Dick for going for it!!!!! :cheers:

No. Gibbs even said in his Monday press conference that he doesn't have the guts for that.

Gibbs is always talking himself down and criticizing himself. He has the guts for it but he'd rather show you when the time comes than tell you now. He's made plenty of gutsy calls in his day, no doubt about it.

Archived