Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My thoughts (and yours) on Portis and his productivity.

TheGreek1973

Up until a few games ago I thought Portis wasn’t the super back we hoped for when we traded the HOUSE for him to Denver. So many scenarios with that trade on the surface showed Denver getting a much better deal than us. However the last few games, even though in terms of numbers Portis is not approaching his numbers in Denver, he has shown what a complete back he is. Right now other than maybe TL, (yes even including Alexander) when it comes to running, blocking and catching the ball, I don’t think anyone other back is as good as him. The problem IMO in the overall low “flashy” production numbers (TD and yards) is the fact that Gibbs is still not utilizing him correctly.

First of all I don’t think he is meant to be in a single back offense. We have two great backs in Betts and Portis and in such a setup we can very much go anywhere with it. We can go up the middle with Betts, swing pass or handoff to the outside with Portis where he has proven to be most effective and brining in a few West coast plays will allow us to throw the ball to either player because both can catch. I just think this BS two TEs up the gut or counter tray plays just brings in the safety and the LBs for the defense close to the line and since they are slow developing plays it takes away one of the great abilities of Portis, namely hitting the hole quick and running on instinct..

I was excited when Sellers said we will see something new from the skins. Well I think I guess it when I said Portis out as a WR but I thought he would have Betts in the backfield. Heck why not even have Portis go in motion as we do with Moss all the time because then he can either stay in and block or go out for a pass. Either way the safety at the very least has to stay home because I just don’t think there are a lot of LBs that can stay with Portis in a pass route. Anyway to conclude this post I have to say since Gibbs embracing the shotgun formation has shown he can be flexible and it has been very successful, he must also embrace a little West cost offense and stretch plays because in Portis he has a back that can do it all like Falk did it in his prime for the Rams.

While I have been critical and remain disappointed in Portis' rushing output, I have to give him his props for his blocking skills. He's been great in that aspect.

Another wrinkle we could possibly line up with is both Betts and Portis in the back field with either of them motioning to a WR position pre-snap. The threat of a run could still be there and we have one our best playermakers as a pass catching threat as well.

We saw Portis at WR to begin with or motion from the backfield to a WR and with Sellers there at FB to have a 2 back I formation. I think your adjustments were there on sunday and will be more in the future.

yea but to you think a lot of people will be worrying us running Sellers out of that formation? At least Betts can run the ball between the tackles if we choose to go that way.

Now one play that I think this type of formation with Sellers in there would be sick is if we have short yardage situation where we need to pickup 1 or two yards on a 3rd down play (or better yet second down). Have Patten Moss and Portis out as WRs with Sellers in there. The D will need to respect the run so the safties can't double up on the wideouts. Play action with the 3 WRs could get us a huge play.

I'll keep this short and sweet. We are very lucky to have a guy like Clinton. He is a great team player. We all know what he is capable of doing, but even if he is not scoring a ton of TD's and yards, he is quietly making great blocks, doing the little things. The exact opposite of TO.

You're the man Clinton and I appreciate your effort.

You may not have noticed, but Portis is hurting and the team doesn't want to talk about it. I don't think he's close to full speed.

He's banged up and it shows, but I wouldn't say he's hurting us at all. He may very well have saved the game on Sunday when he ran down and tackled the Eagles defender who picked up Brunell's fumble. The guy is making an impact in so many ways. He's a Gibbs guy for sure (ok, maybe minus the socks and the wigs :) ).

We do need to utilize him better though. We still try to do too many power runs with him, and that will only get him banged up even more. We need to commit to the zone and stretch plays more instead of just doing if for an occasional flare.

You may not have noticed, but Portis is hurting and the team doesn't want to talk about it. I don't think he's close to full speed.

Well maybe trying to run him on the outside will go a long way to not get him killed week in and week out.

I don't know I just get the feeling with all that speed at WR (Moss, Patten, Jacobs) and a very speedy RB in Portis we should have a little more wide open offense like the one we had with Clark and Sanders in there.

honestly though, Alexander is having yet another blockbuster year, he does it all. I think looking back, that 2nd rounder we gave Den was still a mistake, they got a pro bowl CB, proven shut down corner, and we gave them a pick?

At times it seems like CP tips back there in the back field, like he needs to hit the hole. Lanes are there that he sometimes misses, but most backs miss some lanes sometimes.

All in all, I'm glad CP is a Skin, but I'm still waiting on him to be consistant with the run. He has done great with all the other aspects, even though he drops passes sometimes. I think our O-Line needs to get nasty too. They need to dominate the line of scrimmage

Those slow developing running plays have almost been completely yanked from the playbook, now they're mostly quick hitters up the gut or off tackle. There was a stat that said we ran the counter trey or some variation of it 1 in 4 running plays last year. Near the start of the year it was 1 in 10 running plays, now I think it's even less. So we're getting the ball into Portis' hands earlier and letting him hit a hole faster.

But what I'd like to see are stretch plays, look at the Colts last night. They had James running outside the numbers a lot, letting him pick which hole to hit. We don't seem to do that with Portis.

When it comes to Portis' importance to this team you cannot judge him off of rushing numbers. We run a different type of offense. It's kind of like we lineup and say ok we are running here.. try to stop it. This style gets 2,3,4 yards through the early stages of the game but as the defense wears down it turns into 8,10,15. His blocking has done wonders for the passing game and allowed Moss to have a wonderful season. Teams know that this offense runs through Portis, and you better believe that teams are still gearing their gameplan towards him.

Well maybe trying to run him on the outside will go a long way to not get him killed week in and week out.

I don't know I just get the feeling with all that speed at WR (Moss, Patten, Jacobs) and a very speedy RB in Portis we should have a little more wide open offense like the one we had with Clark and Sanders in there.

I think the speed of linebackers these days hurts our sweeps. But I think Redskins try to get Portis into space at least two or three times a game.

And I'm not being critical of Portis. I thought he was going to be an ego that needed to be managed when he got here, but I think he's matured (especially this year) and has done everything asked of him.

I'm glad he's on our team.

We do need to utilize him better though. We still try to do too many power runs with him, and that will only get him banged up even more. We need to commit to the zone and stretch plays more instead of just doing if for an occasional flare.

I've been harping on this forever.

I was at the game on Sunday and I could tell whenever we had a tight formation with 2 TE's, or TE on the strong side and Thrash brough in motion on the left or vice versa, anyone looking at it from that angle could tell it was going to be an inside running play, and OF COURSE it got stuffed every time.

Whatever happened to running from spread formations, running from a 3 WR set? I think that Portis' game against the Broncos this year (minus his fumble of course) was the most effective we've ever seen him play this season. He was continually getting to the edge because we were spreading out the defense and running from passing formations.

We haven't seen that wide weakside pitch out since the Kansas City game, (you know, motion the TE or Thrash or both to the strong side, then flip it to Portis with Samuels leading the way for an easy 8-10 yards).....now that's a great play. We oughta try it with Jansen too.

It galls me when we mis-use Portis. Those gut plays with him are just a waste of downs.

For Portis to succeed and to last the whole season, for that matter, he cannot be asked to continually slam into the pile.

Like Coach Gibbs said, Portis does a lot of small things that don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet. Sure I thot part of that was the coach-speak but after seeing him hustle after that fumble, all doubts are gone from my mind.

I think it is pretty simple. It's not so much the scheme that he is in, it is the lack of holes the O Line is opening up for him. I always think it is a bit funny when people say a running back is not doing good. Look at the holes or lack there of that he has to run in. I know a good running back will make the first defender miss and excel in the open field, but Clinton is rarely given a good hole to run through. Hopefully this will get ironed out as the line and Clinton play together more.

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. All I can say is patience. This is just the 2nd year. Last year we didn't have the shotgun and this year we do. Maybe we need to run more stretch plays but I would think this coaching staff knows more than anybody here. At least they know their players better. Last year, Brunnell sucked and Gibbs said the book wasn't written yet. Turns out he was right.

I was at the game on Sunday and I could tell whenever we had a tight formation with 2 TE's, or TE on the strong side and Thrash brough in motion on the left or vice versa, anyone looking at it from that angle could tell it was going to be an inside running play, and OF COURSE it got stuffed every time.

Whatever happened to running from spread formations, running from a 3 WR set? I think that Portis' game against the Broncos this year (minus his fumble of course) was the most effective we've ever seen him play this season. He was continually getting to the edge because we were spreading out the defense and running from passing formations.

We haven't seen that wide weakside pitch out since the Kansas City game, (you know, motion the TE or Thrash or both to the strong side, then flip it to Portis with Samuels leading the way for an easy 8-10 yards).....now that's a great play. We oughta try it with Jansen too.

It galls me when we mis-use Portis. Those gut plays with him are just a waste of downs.

For Portis to succeed and to last the whole season, for that matter, he cannot be asked to continually slam into the pile.

I've been thinking the same thing. We aren't setting up Portis to be as successful as he could be. As soon as the other teams see those tight formations, they crowd the box and we run right into it. We run best out of 3 WR sets. I noticed this earlier in the year. The one time we did it last Sunday, Portis got good yardage that was nullified by a questionable holding penalty.

You know, I think this goes back to preseason and how so many of us were commenting on the dramatic changes in play calling that was taking place when we would switch from Ramsey to Brunell. The two QBs have different strengths, and it seems like Gibbs just calls a totally different game with Brunell in there - one of them being far fewer zone and stretch runs to the outside.

Ramsey's strength is rifling the ball over the middle on slants and crossing patterns of the 15-25 yard variety. That threat then keeps the D on their heels and forces them to back off the line, opening up more outside running plays.

I don't have any complaints with Brunell's performance thus far, and I certainly think we could be doing more outside running with Portis, but apparently Gibbs prefers to stick more with his bread and butter run plays given Brunell's strengths with the roll outs and the touch passes.

Send him up the middle, send him outside, don't send him at all, make him quarterback, punter... I don't care. As long as we keep gettin the Ws!!

Well Chris getting the Ws is what we all hope but aren't you kind of tired getting them by a nose when we are capable of doing thngs like we did vs SF? Not saying we are going to put 54 points every week but I will like to see us be for effective or more to the point a little less perdictable with our offense.

Case and point. How many screens to you think we have called the last few games. yes they worked in many situations but still it doens't seem to me we are using all the speed we have at WR. I know Patten is not TO but the guy can also make plays, he did it in pre-season, and yet he doesn't get the touches. Portis is a back that needs room to pick his holes and hit the fast and hard. Up the middle is more Betts cup of tea. I am not saying we are not playing well all I am saying we need to utilize the talent we have a little more for the time when we meet up with the Giants, SD, Dallas, and Raiders. if you don't have these type of plays in your playbook then you are limited IMO.

Archived