Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

voting

MissU28

State board of elections updates here...

Potts actually had some decent plans, but was too unpredictable for the Republicans to run. He would never toe the party line. He also helped bring Beamer to Blacksburg...

Potts did? Really?

Can you give more on this story?

BTW

I really really want leslie byrn to lose. I hope I made myself clear there :applause:

State board of elections updates here...

http://sbe.vipnet.org/index.htm

And of course I voted Kaine. He worked with Warner to make Virginia the best managed state government.

Kilgore ran a negative campaign, had very little experience and sounds like somebody out of Deliverance. It might have been funny to watch the Kilgores' cooking Possum stew at the Governor's

Damn you sound like the commerical in your first paragraph.

If Kilgore loses let it be a lesson to all neg campagin users. This sh#t doesnt pay

Halfway there ... looking real close:

Candidates Party Vote Totals Percentage

T M Kaine Democratic 549,457 51.18%

J W Kilgore Republican 499,922 46.57%

H R Potts Jr Independent 23,157 2.16%

Write Ins 960 0.09%

Vote Totals: 1,073,496

Office: Lieutenant Governor

Precincts Reporting: 1236 of 2426 (50.95%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,969 Total Voting: 969,582 Voter Turnout: 21.78 %

W T Bolling Republican 485,792 50.10%

L L Byrne Democratic 482,044 49.72%

Write Ins 1,746 0.18%

Vote Totals: 969,582

Office: Attorney General

Precincts Reporting: 1188 of 2426 (48.97%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,969 Total Voting: 938,137 Voter Turnout: 21.07 %

R C Deeds Democratic 475,480 50.68%

R F McDonnell Republican 461,538 49.20%

Write Ins 1,119 0.12%

Vote Totals: 938,137

Damn you sound like the commerical in your first paragraph.

If Kilgore loses let it be a lesson to all neg campagin users. This sh#t doesnt pay

You really don't think it pays?

I remember watching a video of a woman running for Congress a few years ago in the Carolinas, and she was going to run a complete "positive" camapaign against the incumbent

The incumbent pummeled her with negative ads the whole time and won by 20+ percent

Negative pays, or else nobody would do it

Halfway there ... looking real close:

Office: Lieutenant Governor

Precincts Reporting: 1236 of 2426 (50.95%)

Registered Voters: 4,451,969 Total Voting: 969,582 Voter Turnout: 21.78 %

W T Bolling Republican 485,792 50.10%

L L Byrne Democratic 482,044 49.72%

Write Ins 1,746 0.18%

Vote Totals: 969,582

I swear if Leslie Byrne wins, I may do the unthinkable and move to MD

A republican animal rights supporter? Wow, that must be a difficult at times.

Actually its very easy to be yourself...

Each person has their own belief system in [insert religion here]

Each person has their own social belief [insert program here]

Each person has their own life issue here [issue abortion/death penalty stance here]

Each person has their own fiscal issue here [issue eye twitching program here]

I have 2 lizards, 10 fish, 1 cat, 1 dog and 1 hairless guinee pig coming in xmas. I'm pro-life including no-death penalty, I'm anti-President borders. I'm for CIA torture but not Military. I'm Pro Iraq fixing - see Iraqaid to show they are getting more than ever. I'm pro Bosnia invasion and Sudan...

Amazing how Huly can be a pet loving Republican

Next she'll say something crazy like she likes chicken wings also...

Guest Gichin13

Potts is actually pretty far left of Kaine on most issues in this campaign ... funny that folks think he is more palatable. I like Russ personally a lot, especially on transportation issues.

I voted for Kaine. He really is a pretty conservative Dem despite efforts to paint him as a liberal. It is rare in that the abortion issue is silent against the Dems like this time. Plus, how many Harvard law educated lawyers have actually spent years on a mission in Honduras? Folks ripping Tim are missing a lot of solid substance.

Tim did weaken my support a lot the last couple weeks with the pandering stance on

"adequate public facilities". He did a lot to erode pretty solid support amongst the building industry late with that decision.

I also think with Kaine there is a far more realistic chance to keep the budget sanity momentum we have had for four years (in constrast to the utter idiocy of Jim Gilmore who was horrible as governor). I still would rather Warner was in office another four years though.

Kudos to Kilgore on the go ugly early move jumping on the Herndon day laborer center bandwagon (after Tony Snow's radio program jumped on it first). I think that is the main reason he is still in the race, especially after having the Hitler/Death penalty ads blow up in his face. He appeared to run a campaign based on making a bunch of promises, primarily outside Northern Virginia, which are utterly unsupported by budget numbers. Plus trotting out the "useless tax hike" line which is pretty inaccurate as well. I am just glad all the supposed "RINO" candidates who voted for that budget are still in office despite a lot of pressure on them.

I voted for Bolling. Second to those above -- simply really dislike Byrne. This race was more voting against Byrne than voting for Bolling.

I voted for Deeds for AG. I figure any Dem that can get an NRA endorsement in Virginia as AG is an interesting cat in my book.

Potts is actually pretty far left of Kaine on most issues in this campaign ... funny that folks think he is more palatable. I like Russ personally a lot, especially on transportation issues.

I voted for Kaine. He really is a pretty conservative Dem despite efforts to paint him as a liberal. It is rare in that the abortion issue is silent against the Dems like this time. Plus, how many Harvard law educated lawyers have actually spent years on a mission in Honduras? Folks ripping Tim are missing a lot of solid substance.

Tim did weaken my support a lot the last couple weeks with the pandering stance on

"adequate public facilities". He did a lot to erode pretty solid support amongst the building industry late with that decision.

I also think with Kaine there is a far more realistic chance to keep the budget sanity momentum we have had for four years (in constrast to the utter idiocy of Jim Gilmore who was horrible as governor). I still would rather Warner was in office another four years though.

Kudos to Kilgore on the go ugly early move jumping on the Herndon day laborer center bandwagon (after Tony Snow's radio program jumped on it first). I think that is the main reason he is still in the race, especially after having the Hitler/Death penalty ads blow up in his face. He appeared to run a campaign based on making a bunch of promises, primarily outside Northern Virginia, which are utterly unsupported by budget numbers. Plus trotting out the "useless tax hike" line which is pretty inaccurate as well. I am just glad all the supposed "RINO" candidates who voted for that budget are still in office despite a lot of pressure on them.

I voted for Bolling. Second to those above -- simply really dislike Byrne. This race was more voting against Byrne than voting for Bolling.

I voted for Deeds for AG. I figure any Dem that can get an NRA endorsement in Virginia as AG is an interesting cat in my book.

Deeds has a fairly good moderate streak

I met him at Boys' State, seemed like a real geniune guy, Republicans won't be dissapointed if he wins

Question for the political junkies tonight

My buddy and I were talking about this election and how if the Republicans lose in VA tonight there will be a lot of thinking about candidates we put up in the future

I said "we need more budget hawks"

He agreed

I then said I don't think the average American wants that though, someone who would campaign on "I will cut the budget by 10 percent my first 2 years of office" or whatever. Basically I don't think Americans would vote for budget cutters

Do you agree or disagree?

My buddy and I were talking about this election and how if the Republicans lose in VA tonight there will be a lot of thinking about candidates we put up in the future

He agreed

I then said I don't think the average American wants that though, someone who would campaign on "I will cut the budget by 10 percent my first 2 years of office" or whatever. Basically I don't think Americans would vote for budget cutters

If there's any state where that would work, I think it's Virginia. I've never been in a state that hated taxes so much. Especially around NoVa, people seem rather ambivalent about the social issues, but they really want lower taxes.

A candidate would have to dance around education funding a little bit, but if they could point out specific things to cut and promise a tax decrease, I think they would do very well.

I was pretty surprised that Kilgore didn't make a bigger issue out of Warner's surplus in this election. Promising lower taxes would have worked a lot better than going after Kaine on the death penalty.

He agreed

I hope Warner does run for President. He would be one of the few Dems I would vote for. He did a good job in curbing spending and getting the State economy back on track. Socially, he is a moderate and didn't rock the boat with new social programs or changes in major social issues. However, I think he would lose in the national nomination because the leftists in the national dem party have a lot of pull.

If McCain runs again on the Republican sideI think he gets the nod in the nomination for President. Even though he is not in lockstep with the Rep party in some issues he is still conservative and is still the most qualified person for the job.

I would love to see a McCain/Warner ticket. That would really make both parties crap their collective pants.

It's worse in Californeeya. We have a legislature that essentially won't take action on any controversial topic (because they know it will go to a proposition vote) and thus - the voters have to have special elections to get stuff passed.

Why exactly are we voting for these people in the 1st place if we have to vote seperately on the issues of the day?

:mad:

Just voted...

We have got the dumbest citizens. If 76 doesn't go through, I want to move... "We're bankrupt, but we don't want to cap our spending limits...".

The ads here were all lies from the unions, $120 million in lies... "Arnold hates teachers, he hates firefighters, and he hates cops... if your house was burning down, Arnold would stop them from saving you... if you were getting beaten and robbed, Arnold would kick you... say NO to Arnold...."

I can't believe this place. It's clear our state is going bankrupt because of illegal immigration. The more lower class citizens are imported will drive the upper and middle classes out because they are stuck paying for them. Middle class cannot get housing because I'd estimate 33 % of the houses are bought by speculators who rent their property to the poorer classes, and there is not enough. I don't know how you can buy a house for $400,000 when you barely make above the median income... oh wait the lenders make it so easy to do... but still...

Proposition 187 really disillusioned people...

If there's any state where that would work, I think it's Virginia. I've never been in a state that hated taxes so much. Especially around NoVa, people seem rather ambivalent about the social issues, but they really want lower taxes.

A candidate would have to dance around education funding a little bit, but if they could point out specific things to cut and promise a tax decrease, I think they would do very well.

I was pretty surprised that Kilgore didn't make a bigger issue out of Warner's surplus in this election. Promising lower taxes would have worked a lot better than going after Kaine on the death penalty.

I think because the death penalty is still an issue down south

People hate taxes, but I think they hate budget cuts even more

So who knows, we are gonna vote ourselves into oblivion one day

All I know is the damn food tax went up in Blacksburg my senior year by 4 cents and it KILLED ME

So yeah I am bitter about taxes

Re: "Budget Hawks"

The problem is all those budget hawks would butt heads with the public workers (ie. people who live off of taxpayers). Just look at the California election... Arnold decreased the rate of education spending, and all the teachers went ballistic and ran campaigns saying that Arnold cut spending. Enough people watch television ads and don't pay enough attention that the are effective.

The big problem for many states is the large unfunded pension programs that are going to come up. These aren't 401k plans where employees contribute... defined contributions, but these are something like 50-75% of your salary upon retirement. You would think most of these people would have money as they benefitted from the best 20-30 year economy (1970-2000).... I'll be pretty happy if our economy grows like that while I'm working and I can provide for my children as well as my parents.

But when those pension plans come up... a bunch of places will be screwed.

I would love for the Commonwealth to change the tax structure involving personal property tax. I think that tax is such a pain in the ass. I have no problem paying it because it's for schools but how you pay it is the problem I have. People have enough to think about besides a bi-annular tax and one of the dates is right before Christmas. I think that creates a problem for some people who are trying to save money to buy gifts for their families. Having to get a stupid sticker from the county is retarded as well.

I would love for the Commonwealth to change the tax structure involving personal property tax. I think that tax is such a pain in the ass. I have no problem paying it because it's for schools but how you pay it is the problem I have. People have enough to think about besides a bi-annular tax and one of the dates is right before Christmas. I think that creates a problem for some people who are trying to save money to buy gifts for their families. Having to get a stupid sticker from the county is retarded as well.

Well hopefully it changes

Tim Kaine sounded damn well like Regan during this campaign.

Should be interesting the next few years

And people, if there is any good in you, pray Leslie Byrne loses

Archived