Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Relax, Skins Fans, the Giants Game was a Fluke

skins fan1010

From: http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/11/relax-skins-fans-giants-game-was-fluke.html

Monday, November 07, 2005

It’s official. Last week’s Redskins’ game against the Giants was a fluke; an aberration; an anomaly. Last week’s performance is unlikely to be repeated by either team. Yesterday, the Redskins bounced back in spades and the Giants came back to earth. The Redskins won a game against the “team to beat,” a game they circled on their calendar months ago, and the Giants were unimpressive against the league’s worst team, who started a rodeo cowboy at quarterback.

The Redskins defense did a great job taking apart the Eagles offense yesterday. And, on offense, when the Redskins main receiving threats (Moss and Patten) were double covered and their main rushing threat (Portis) was stopped, Brunell was able to effectively use his third, fourth and fifth option. And, Brunell is back on track given his masterful performance last night, completing 72% of his passes.

Okay, Counter Trey, but what about that horrible performance last week, you ask? Well, good teams have bad games. Good teams also have great games. Last week’s contest was a game between two good teams who, on that day, were on opposite sides of that spectrum. The Giants are a good team that played a great game with emotion and were facing the Redskins who had an emotional let down after demolishing the 49ers the week before. The Giants were riding a “win-one-for-the-Gipper” high at the same time that the Redskins came in flat. Tiki Barber—who, along with the Giants defense, was chiefly responsible for the win thanks to his 200+ rushing yards—made several comments in which he actually said he felt possessed; he had to win the game for Mara. And, defenses are fueled almost completely by emotion.

That passion acted as a lever on the Giants’ superior tactical knowledge that day. The leaders of last year’s Redskins’ offense (Hasselback) and defense (Pierce) were calling out the Redskins’ plays even as they were lining up to run them. Taken together, the outcome seems almost predestined.

What convinces me that last week was a fluke? Why shouldn’t Redskins fans expect a repeat on Christmas Eve when the Giants go to Washington? Everyone—and I mean EVERYONE—coming in to the season thought that the Eagles were the team to beat in the NFC. The Eagles have been to the NFC Championship game four years in a row. If the NFC Championship game was Trump Plaza, the Eagles are Donald Trump. The Eagles are still the best team in the NFC until proven otherwise. The Redskins hadn’t beaten the Eagles in years and the Redskins and Eagles both considered last night a must-win game. And the Redskins won. The Redskins beat the “team-to-beat.”

But wait, there’s more. There are some teams that are so bad that you are surprised when they don’t lose by at least 21 points. The 49ers are that bad. Two weeks ago, the Redskins beat the 49ers by 35 points—45 points really if you take away a garbage-time field goal (That’s right, the Niners actually kicked a field goal when they were losing by a score of 52 to 7) and touch down on the 49ers last play of the game. If the Giants are truly 36 points better than the Redskins, they should have set a modern-day record in Monster Park yesterday, especially because they were facing the Niners fourth-string quarterback, who is best known for his rodeo skills. They should have beaten the Niners by 70-something points. Okay, nobody scores 70 anymore, so 60…

…Alright, let’s be realistic 40…

…Never mind, 30...

Is it too much to ask that a team that is supposed to lose every game by a minimum of 21 points loses by more than 21 when they face a juggernaut like the Giants?

Well, the Giants won, by a not very impressive 18 points. Don’t get the wrong idea, Giants fans, I know a win is a win is a win and I said the Giants are a good team. The point of this is to establish that they are not 36 points better than the Redskins. That will become clear over the next eight games. Last week was a fluke.

More on the Giants: Although Mike Francesca and Chris Russo (AKA Mike and the Mad Dog) of WFAN radio in New York now say the Giants will win the NFC East (and they actually believe that the Eagles are dead), the Giants have a lot to prove. For one thing, if you are going to win your division, you have to beat the teams in it. Right now the Giants have one much-discussed win in the division and one loss to the Cowboys. Half of the Giants remaining division games are on the road including the one to the Redskins. Last year the Giants were 2 - 0 against the Cowboys, 1 – 1 against the Redskins and 0 – 2 against the Eagles. The Giants have not played the Eagles yet this year and, so have no idea how they will match up against the NFC Champion. It might be a little early to pass the crown.

Besides the Redskins, have the Giants beaten any good teams? You be the judge. Their other five wins came against the Cardinals, Saints, Rams, Broncos, and Niners. The Broncos are very good and almost unbeatable in Denver, but the Giants played them in New Jersey and pulled off a last-second miracle. Take away their loss to the Giants and those five teams have a combined 16 – 20 record and that includes Denver’s six wins and one loss, otherwise it would be 10 - 19. And the Giants two losses? They came against legitimate playoff-caliber teams—the Chargers and Cowboys.

More on the NFC East: In addition to declaring the Eagles dead and picking the Giants to win the division, Mike and the Mad Dog picked the Cowboys to get a wildcard spot. The only NFC East teams with winning records in their division are the Cowboys and Redskins, and the Redskins are 1-0 against the Cowboys, after beating them in Dallas. The Redskins have now beaten the team that is the “team-to-beat” in the entire NFC— not just the NFC East—and play two of their last three NFC East games at home where they are undefeated. The Redskins will probably be favored in at least six of their remaining eight games. Add it all up and the Redskins are in the driver’s seat for the division title. Sorry Mike and Mad Dog.

UPDATE (11/8):Whew. Nothing like a Giants fan scorned. I have received tons of pro-Giants comments on the blog and I'm addressing them here.

Three of you anonymous Giants fans posted replies that made me think you actually read the post above. This comment is for the rest of you.

First, nowhere in this post did I say the Redskins were better than the Giants. The Redskins have to prove that on the field on Christmas Eve.

Second, as Joe Gibbs said before the Sunday night game, (paraphrased) "you are nobody until you beat the champ." The Eagles are the champs despite what Mike and the Mad Dog think. The Giants have to prove they can beat the Eagles. TO or no TO, the Eagles are not going away. They are still one of the top (if not still THE top) teams in the NFC; I hate that fact as much as you do.

Third, the comments that I got without invective made some good points. The Giants could very well have been flat against the Niners, especially after being so high against the Skins, and I did not recognize that in the original post. But the point I am making in this post is that the Skins aren't as bad as they looked in the Giants game, NOT that the Giants are a bad team; In fact, if you read closely I say at least three times that I think the Giants are a good team.

Fourth, I never said the crown was going to be passed to the Redskins. I said the games in the division are going to make the difference and the Redskins are in better shape than the others because of their divisional record, who they have beaten already, plus they have more home games remaining against division opponents.

Last, the post was addressed to Skins fans who were as nervous as I was after seeing how poorly the Skins played against the Giants. I am surprised that it could have pissed off Giants fans. If the Skins had beaten the Giants 36-0 I probably would have dismissed the Giants as a threat to the Skins this year. I would have thought Giants fans would have dismissed the Skins and already be looking ahead to the Eagles.

posted by Counter Trey @ 6:07 PM 0 comments

After next week we will be tied with the g-men for first at 6-3. After that, they will all be in the rear view. how about those redskins! :cheers:

So you are assuming that the giants will lose to the vikings at home. I know anything can happen on any given sunday.....but the vikings will have to pull something real crazy outta their as s to win this one.

After next week we will be tied with the g-men for first at 6-3. After that, they will all be in the rear view. how about those redskins! :cheers:

I wouldn't look past Tampa so fast. Even with QB problems, they have a top D that will make it a very tough task for us to put up points.

:)

I wouldn't look past Tampa so fast. Even with QB problems, they have a top D that will make it a very tough task for us to put up points.

I'm not looking past any game, especially not a 5-3 team, all I'm saying is we will win, plain and simple.

So you are assuming that the giants will lose to the vikings at home. I know anything can happen on any given sunday.....but the vikings will have to pull something real crazy outta their as s to win this one.

First off I never assume anything, we all know how that makes us look. Cullpepper was actually holding them back and they are a better team with B.Johnson behind center. He was a pro bowler with us and won a SB with tampa, don't discount him. I know it is a bold prediction but I am standing behind my statement. we will be tied for first at 6-3 in a week from today. :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

I'm not looking past any game, especially not a 5-3 team, all I'm saying is we will win, plain and simple.

First off I never assume anything, we all know how that makes us look. Cullpepper was actually holding them back and they are a better team with B.Johnson behind center. He was a pro bowler with us and won a SB with tampa, don't discount him. I know it is a bold prediction but I am standing behind my statement. we will be tied for first at 6-3 in a week from today. :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

I'm with you. The Vikings are a lock plus 10.........

I dunno Brad Johnson is playing REALLY WELL (1 game i know)

Fair enough and my prediction is that the Giants will be 7-2 next week. And believe me, if you go to giants message board you will see most fans are not arrogant but optimistic. We didn't take the 49ers lightly even after a dominant divisional win.

I love your enthusiam and fanaticism Redskin fans, and most definately your FAN FICTION. You must definately be the most dellusional fans in the entire NFL. You beat the Cowturds and Pigeons by a landslide in that department.

You can't talk Jack until we play again, because a 36 nothing REAR raping like the one you got in Giants stadium is not an aberration. Snyder should have let everyone into your stadium for free for that Eagles game after your Deadskins completely robbed you with those paychecks in Jersey.

You can't talk until you play us again.

We own the Vikings. Have beaten theM 5 straight times (and they dont even play in our division) even when they had great offensive teams and with Moss and Carter and Smith and Culpepper, it didnt matter, we always not only won, but BLEW THEM OUT. Do you really think that pathetic team, which I might even admit your SORRY team is better than, is going to go to Giants stadium and win? :D

You will not beat Tampa. So please dont bogart that joint my friend.

36-0 AND WELL GO TO FEDEX AND SPANK YOU AGAIN. YOU AND THAT OVERRATED TEAM STARTING WITH THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER IN THE WORLD CLINTON PORTIS, WHO CAN ONLY RUSH ON TEAMS THAT ARE UNDERMANNED DUE TO INJURY.

9 YARDS. HAHAHAHAHAHA

And then you have the NERVE of saying that we are not as good because you put 52 on the Niners AT HOME, and we only put 24 on them ON THE ROAD, played like garbage and still won?

Too bad for us I guess, but I know of some team down the turnpike which plays like ABSOLUTE garbage, but instead of still winning, gets SHUT OUT AND BLOWN OUT ON THE ROAD :D

Oh and I guess you are also better than the Colts since they only scored 28 on the Niners.

Thanx for the Comedy.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Giants Fan

I love your enthusiam and fanaticism Redskin fans, and most definately your FAN FICTION. You must definately be the most dellusional fans in the entire NFL. You beat the Cowturds and Pigeons by a landslide in that department.

You can't talk Jack until we play again, because a 36 nothing REAR raping like the one you got in Giants stadium is not an aberration. Snyder should have let everyone into your stadium for free for that Eagles game after your Deadskins completely robbed you with those paychecks in Jersey.

We own the Vikings. Have beaten theM 5 straight times (and they dont even play in our division) even when they had great offensive teams and with Moss and Carter and Smith and Culpepper, it didnt matter, we always not only won, but BLEW THEM OUT. Do you really think that pathetic team, which I might even admit your SORRY team is better than, is going to go to Giants stadium and win? :D

36-0 AND WELL GO TO FEDEX AND SPANK YOU AGAIN. YOU AND THAT OVERRATED TEAM STARTING WITH THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER IN THE WORLD CLINTON PORTIS, WHO CAN ONLY RUSH ON TEAMS THAT ARE UNDERMANNED DUE TO INJURY.

9 YARDS. HAHAHAHAHAHA

And then you have the NERVE of saying that we are not as good because you put 52 on the Niners AT HOME, and we only put 24 on them ON THE ROAD, played like garbage and still won?

Too bad for us I guess, but I know of some team down the turnpike which plays like ABSOLUTE garbage, but instead of still winning, gets SHUT OUT AND BLOWN OUT ON THE ROAD :D

Oh and I guess you are also better than the Colts since they only scored 28 on the Niners.

Thanx for the Comedy.

One thing's for sure ... front-running, after-the-fact, cookie-cutter bridge trolls aren't an endangered species.

9 YARDS. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanx for the Comedy.

What a F#$#$# loser, he comes here to post his only post and lurkes around for the chance.. LMAO you must be ugly, cause most ugly people are full of hate.. and that is what you are my friend. Dont worry Dec24 is when we will meet again. I have my tickets ready and waiting for that day. See you there spanky.

Archived