Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pass Interference

dcoles11

I tried to get Greg Williams to answer this question when he was on this site answering questions but they didn't pick my question.

I think something has to be done about pass interference calls. With the spot foul rule in the NFL it is a huge call, it is as huge as a turnover, so with replay being back in play I think pass interference should be part of what can be reviewed.

One game sticks out in my mind when it comes to this. Think back to the Monday Night Cowboy Redskin game last year in Washington. Dallas had like a 3rd and 15 or so from the 50 yard line, threw basically a desperation pass to the end zone and I believe Shawn Springs was called for pass interference. Madden and Michaels were both puzzled by the call because the replays showed that if anything the Dallas reciever was guilty of offensive pass interference. That 3rd and 15 from mid field turned into first and goal from the 1 yard like, Dallas punched it in for a TD.

In the same game, Rod Gardner was absolutely mugged in the end zone, nothing was called.

The next day the 1 call and the 1 non call were both subjects of conversation on ESPN's PTI and Around the Horn. Everyone seemed to agree that they were both awful calls that cost the Redskins the game.

The Skins lost this game 21-18. If one of those calls goes our way correctly we probably win that game, if they are both called correctly we certainly win the game.

So i'm posing the question to you fellow Redskin fans. Being that a pass interference call can turn a 3rd and 15 from mid field into a 1st and goal from the 1, shouldn't we wanna make sure these calls are right?

If not add them to what can be replayed, maybe use the college rule of just a 15 yard penalty.

I tried to get Greg Williams to answer this question when he was on this site answering questions but they didn't pick my question.

I think something has to be done about pass interference calls. With the spot foul rule in the NFL it is a huge call, it is as huge as a turnover, so with replay being back in play I think pass interference should be part of what can be reviewed.

One game sticks out in my mind when it comes to this. Think back to the Monday Night Cowboy Redskin game last year in Washington. Dallas had like a 3rd and 15 or so from the 50 yard line, threw basically a desperation pass to the end zone and I believe Shawn Springs was called for pass interference. Madden and Michaels were both puzzled by the call because the replays showed that if anything the Dallas reciever was guilty of offensive pass interference. That 3rd and 15 from mid field turned into first and goal from the 1 yard like, Dallas punched it in for a TD.

In the same game, Rod Gardner was absolutely mugged in the end zone, nothing was called.

The next day the 1 call and the 1 non call were both subjects of conversation on ESPN's PTI and Around the Horn. Everyone seemed to agree that they were both awful calls that cost the Redskins the game.

The Skins lost this game 21-18. If one of those calls goes our way correctly we probably win that game, if they are both called correctly we certainly win the game.

So i'm posing the question to you fellow Redskin fans. Being that a pass interference call can turn a 3rd and 15 from mid field into a 1st and goal from the 1, shouldn't we wanna make sure these calls are right?

If not add them to what can be replayed, maybe use the college rule of just a 15 yard penalty.

Personally, I think the penalty is fine the way it is. Although I completely understand where you are coming from. The illegal contact rule set in place this season(minimal contact after 5 yards allowed) is now there to try and offset this penalty. Although I will agree, it can be extremely hard to overturn a PI call, so with the jumpy calls ref's are making this season, it could be detremental to a lot of games.

Archived