Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Closer look at the Eagles

ThatGuy

Like the Redskins, the Philadelphia Eagles sit at 4-3. Also like Washington, they have allowed 4 more points than they’ve scored. These are two teams that both got punched in the mouth last week. This week we’ll see who bounces back.

The Eagles are the current big dog in the NFC East. They’ve owned the division for sometime, often without even one team stepping up to challenge them. This year though, things are different. All four NFC East teams are above .500, and all look like legitimate playoff contenders. Over the next three weeks, the Eagles get the chance to make a statement that they still are the team to beat. They play all three NFC East teams, beginning this week at Washington.

The Eagles season has been hampered by injury. Todd Pinkston was injured in preseason and is out for the year. Donovan McNabb sustained a sports hernia early in the year and will be hampered all season. Terrell Owens has come up with mystery ankle injury and is listed as questionable. Jevon Kearse is also listed as questionable after being hurt last week. McNabb, Owens and Kearse are all expected to play. One wonders just how effective they will be. If Kearse does play he may have a chance to set a record for most times helped off the field in one game if last year’s games against the Redskins are any indication.

The loss of Pinkston hurt the Eagles big play ability. Greg Lewis is making more catches but is only averaging 10.9 yards per catch. But probably the oddest development of the Eagles offense this year is their reluctance to run that ball. Brian Westbrook is only getting 11 carries per game. This one dimensional approach is allowing teams to tee off on McNabb, who’s taken quite a pounding this year.

Receiving wise, the main weapon is Terrell Owens. He is having a good year, averaging 16.2 ypc, and had 6 TDs already. The secondary targets the Redskins need to watch are Westbrook and TE LJ Smith, who is having a great year. The Redskins have been really good at stopping tight ends this year; we’ll see if it continues. If Owens doesn’t play, expect ex-Skin Dernarian McCants to see some time as a 3rd WR. Current 3rd wide-out Reggie Brown would move to the starting lineup.

Koy Detmer is the backup if McNabb can’t play or finish the game. McNabb started out on fire this year. The injuries, however, are mounting, and he’s been struggling for the last few games. His scrambling ability, which has hurt the Redskins in the past, is pretty well gone now.

Defensively the Eagles, like the Redskins, have been very inconsistent. They’ve had some great performance (vs. San Diego and San Francisco) but they’ve also had some duds (Denver and Dallas). They currently ranked 25th in the league. They are 21st against the run and 25th against the pass.

They’ve had big troubles against teams’ top wide receivers, holding only one of them below 75 yards. The Redskins have to look to get Santana Moss the ball and see what he can do. The other wide-outs have struggled against the Eagles. And they’ve been average against receiving running backs and tight ends.

Rushing wise, the Eagles have been very good in most phases. Like the Redskins however, they have one glaring issue. While the Redskins can’t stop plays to the left, the Eagles rank last on plays to the right. They give up 6.18 ypc on plays around the right end. For comparisons sake the Redskins give up 4.69 ypc around left end.

This is a game that could go either way. Vegas have basically given the 3 point home field edge the Redskins in naming them the favorites. I expect a tight game. I’m a homer at heart, and I think the Redskins bounce back and play one their better games this season.

Washington 24 Philadelphia 21

this is the most critical game this team has played in several years going back to 1999.

for the first time since then the Redskins started the season with I think realistic hopes of competing for a playoff spot as a wildcard if not a division winner.

To start 3-0 and then see the 1-3 slide extend to another division loss, this time at home I think could be detrimental to the morale of this club just as the heart of the schedule is before us.

A win and a 5-3 record with all the winning teams on the schedule so far and the injury problems and I think has this team will back on the right track.

this is the most critical game this team has played in several years going back to 1999.

for the first time since then the Redskins started the season with I think realistic hopes of competing for a playoff spot as a wildcard if not a division winner.

To start 3-0 and then see the 1-3 slide extend to another division loss, this time at home I think could be detrimental to the morale of this club just as the heart of the schedule is before us.

A win and a 5-3 record with all the winning teams on the schedule so far and the injury problems and I think has this team will back on the right track.

So step up bulldog, what is your prediction? ;)

really good analysis...my heart says redskins24 eagles20 my head says eagles24 redskins17 unfortunately...but ill go with my heart with a little bit of comprimise with skins21 eagles17. if we can stop westbrook and shut down their passing game w/o t.o. that is

Archived