Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cornelius Griffin downgraded to doubtful!

ktball74

Griffin being out is definatley a bad thing. IMO, he's our most valuble player in the front 7 and the guy we can least afford to lose.

I'm glad that he's not out for any real length of time, but it will really hurt him not playing much/at all against the Eagles.

We MUST get some quality defensive linemen in this upcoming draft/FA. I think our biggest need on defense is a fast, edge rushing DE like Freeny. If we can somehow get that, it'll make a huge difference in the effectiveness of our defense.

Ideally, we'd get a huge DT to anchor on the inside and a fast edge rusher on the outside. Pair them with Griff and now we're getting somewhere.

problem is, those are two of the most difficult positions to fill. DT and DE go early and often in the draft and even when you do draft one, half the time they don't pan out. Since we don't have a #1 pick in the upcoming draft, I think we need to focus all our energy on getting one here when FA opens up.

JMO

Griffin is one of the top 3-4 DTs in the NFC. You don't just replace him with former practice squad players or converted ends and expect to compete.

What has hurt the Skins the most is the fact we don't have Brandon Noble to rotate in as the #3 tackle as we did last year.

That lack of depth is now hurting us critically.

No team can cover every base in each offseason but the fact the Redskins spent all of our draft picks after Campbell on linebackers and fullbacks is now a sore point given the lack of depth on the DL.

Shouldn't a couple of those picks have been to add some younger depth at DE and/or DT?

I say this as we had already Washington, Marshall, Arrington, and Co. at linebacker and had added Holdman as a veteran free agent.

Meanwhile at DE we had released Ron Warner and had nothing behind Daniels and Wynn besides Demetric Evans, who played solidly in spots last year but hardly proved himself to be of starting caliber.

maybe last year was just a case where the Redskins under Spurrier had not properly evaluated some of the younger players like Pierce and Marshall and Gregg Williams was able to take advantage of that :)

this year the cupboard off the bench might be more threadbare, after we insert #56 back into the lineup.

I don't see anyone on the bench that seems poised to come in and make a significant contribution on the DL.

Clemons can rush the passer but he is an outside linebacker and spot rusher not a three down performer. Ryan Boschetti has improved since being on the PS last year but still seems a distance away from being a guy you are going to go to war with for 50 plays a contest.

The others, Aki Jones and Cedric Killings, what do we have in these players? Who knows?

I don't think the coaches know at this point as each player has been hurt at exactly the time they would have seen their minutes increase on the field.

I believe both players are still listed on the injury report.

Archived