Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayor: Cut thumbs off graffiti 'punks'

SkinsNut73

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/mayor.thumbs.ap/index.html

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

"In the old days in France, they had beheadings of people who commit heinous crimes," Mayor Oscar Goodman said Wednesday on the TV show "Nevada Newsmakers."

Goodman said the city has a beautiful highway landscaping project and "these punks come along and deface it."

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor said. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested whippings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Another panelist on the show, state university system regent Howard Rosenberg, said cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."

does Oprah even have kids :doh:

No, that's part of my point. I was spanked 1 time when I was a kid and that was all it took, I stayed out of trouble. Kids today do not respect their parents and they definatley don't fear them. Kids know they can say someone hit them or whatever and the trouble it would cause is enough to damage a person for life.

No, that's part of my point. I was spanked 1 time when I was a kid and that was all it took, I stayed out of trouble. Kids today do not respect their parents and they definatley don't fear them. Kids know they can say someone hit them or whatever and the trouble it would cause is enough to damage a person for life.

i wished it only took me one time, hard learner you can say :silly:

Yes, because you had rational parents. The problem arises when you get some rightous nutjob who thinks he can Tyson his kid into submission.

Does anyone know what the common trait on EVERY SINGLE serial killer has? They were abused as a child. Pretty damning stuff against corporal punishment.

Does anyone know what the common trait on EVERY SINGLE serial killer has? They were abused as a child. Pretty damning stuff against corporal punishment.

Abuse and Spankings are two different things.

I believe that if you don't spank your child, when they get out of line, you are abusing him.

Yes, because you had rational parents. The problem arises when you get some rightous nutjob who thinks he can Tyson his kid into submission.

I totally agree with you, however, there is a difference between a spanking and being abused.

The problem is that "Everyone" has made it clear that it's not ok to every "touch" your child, ie, spank them, and that's BS IMO.

My brother got spanked more than once, but it was never like my dad grabbed him and beat the hell out of him. It was a big production, my brother had to go to his room, and wait for my dad to go in there and give him a slap across the butt. My dad never "reacted" with anger and started spanking, it was a well thought out punishment.

In today's time, the people who do things right have to suffer for the jack asses and that's a shame.

Please don't mistake discipline with abuse... I expect more out of you chom.

Blatantly false and even a cursory reading of crimelibrary.com would reveal this.

Dahmer is the first that comes to mind.

Psychopaths are born to a great extent, not made (though what they become can be made, for instance sexual serial killers, con men, petty criminals, etc) unless by brain injury that turns off the moral 'control center.'

For those who are not natural psychopaths, one can also attribute very bizarre upbringings or even traumatic events to the expressions of particular obsessions or criminal behaviors.

For Chikitilo in USSR, the experience of the Stalin-enforced "Harvest of Sorrow" in the Ukraine, may have had a unique impact on his life development but it's likely he was always a psychopath(from descriptions of his childhood and marriage.)

As for graffiti--what people ignore is that many people MUCH older than adolescents commit that crime. Anyone familiar with the graffiti culture (I knew someone from my HS that started with that but became a skilled artist) knows that many of the established graffiti artists are in their 20s-30s even.

I'd say caning would apply and DLRaven, the Bill of Rights doesn't protect criminals, especially repeat offenders, from corporal punishment. If it did, corporal punishment would have been eliminated from the ratification of the Constitution onwards.

I'd say caning would apply and DLRaven, the Bill of Rights doesn't protect criminals, especially repeat offenders, from corporal punishment. If it did, corporal punishment would have been eliminated from the ratification of the Constitution onwards.

I dunno, Ghost. That whole 'cruel and unusual punishment' bit was put in there for a reason I think. For my part I would think chopping thumbs off of spray painters qualifies. But maybe that's just my own personal interpretation of the Eighth Amendment.

The problem today is, kids don't fear their parents more, then they fear not being accepted, or not being looked at as "legit" by their friends. I knew if I screwed up, I would get spanked. My parents stayed on me, and I now thank them for it, because it's made me the person that I am. I had plenty of opportunities to go wrong, and they kept me straight. Sometimes, the threat of corporal punishment was enough. I love my dad, but as a child I feared him too. I think that element of fear, of consequences for your actions HAS to be there, or the kid will run the roost. As many are doing today. Many people who are parents of children today, are not fit to raise them, they aren't willing to fight the tough battles. Parent, First. Friend, Second. Many kids today are trying to be "gangsta," and unfortunately many parents aren't prepared, or willing to deal with that kind of mind set, or....sadly....they just don't give a :pooh:

As long as you distinguish between spank and beat. My mother left her home bitter at her father and never spoke to him agian only referring to him as an evil old man. My mother has given me some black eyes when I was younger-- among other things-- I dont care if she is old and alone I dont think Im coming back (if I do its because of biblical reason and not sheer love and joy), its easy to turn a child bitter and cold so you have to walk a fine line.

Main reason why Its difficult for he to even pick up a bible-- I remeber each time my mother justified herself there was this one bible verse than in her mind made it okay.

ps. You can turn a child cold to religion too

I totally agree with you, however, there is a difference between a spanking and being abused.

The problem is that "Everyone" has made it clear that it's not ok to every "touch" your child, ie, spank them, and that's BS IMO.

My brother got spanked more than once, but it was never like my dad grabbed him and beat the hell out of him. It was a big production, my brother had to go to his room, and wait for my dad to go in there and give him a slap across the butt. My dad never "reacted" with anger and started spanking, it was a well thought out punishment.

In today's time, the people who do things right have to suffer for the jack asses and that's a shame.

I competely agree. The problem is always the nutjobs, that was what I was getting at.

I used to get the "paddle" myself, that was until I was 12 and the paddle broke on my arm :D

Different children need different kinds of guidance. Some are tough enough that they can maintain even under some tough love. Others are better handled in another way.

The trick is to know your children and yourself. If you are angry then you need to back away. If you are disappointed in a child but calm and still feeling the love, then you can evaluate your alternatives and administer discipline in a constructive manner.

By the same token I think some of you mistake spanking for discipline. Some parents never spank their kids yet are still able to discipline them properly. It's not the black and white issue some of you are making it out to be.

That works fine for some kids. I have 3 and they all require different discipline tactics. One you could spank until you were blue in the face and it wouldn't have the desired effect. So you use other methods. One just had to be slightly swatted and one has to be spanked more often. A good parent figures out what works best and goes with it. My 7 and 8 year old girls don't get spanked anymore, and it's been years since they've been spanked. If you use spanking judiciously, and only when a child has been willfully disobedient, it only takes a few times.

Archived