Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Difference between Dallas and Washington.

Art

We've done this exercise before, but, let's do it again. Washington has the following young Pro Bowl players on the roster:

Arrington

Samuels

Trotter

Bailey

Washington has the following young players on the verge of stardom:

Smoot

Jansen

Washington has the following players under 30 who've been to the Pro Bowl, sans the list above:

Gardener

Davis

Now, let's look at Dallas. Any young star players?

No.

Any young players on the verge of stardom?

Other than they'll answer, "QC and our whole rookie class," no.

Players under 30 who've made the Pro Bowl.

Coakley

Hardy

Glover

Yeah, I understand why the Cowboys future is so much brighter. Don't you?

Guest Goatroper

Anything anyone could say that would change Art's mind on this topic? No.

Fine. How 'bout both teams go out and play a 16-game season, then we all meet back here and compare notes.

Sounds great to me.

Goat,

I'm a reasonable man. Please provide the data necessary to have me change my mind. But, remember, as soon as you tweak the critera to allow the inclusion of several of your lesser players, I get to trot out Moore, Gardner, Wilkinson, Wynn, etc. We can't name them all. Only the good ones. And, the above lists have all of yours and all of ours. I'd be fascinated to hear what you'd say to change my mind.

How about total pro-bowl players past and present on the roster:

Skins:

Bruce Smith

Stephen Davis

Daryll Green

Chris Samuels

Champ Bailey

Lavar Arrington

Trotter

Jesse Armstead

Gardener

Arrington

Pokes:

Emmit Smith

Woodson

Glover

Coakley

Hardy

Allen

Did I miss anyone?? Did big Daddy ever do a probowl??

oops forgot arrington

Art,

The one thing I can give you as a rebuttle for this is the fact that some teams just have other teams' number no matter what list of players you put up. If you are looking overall, the Redskins should definitely be the better team. If you are talking head to head, with your list of players don't forget to add the strangle hold the Cowboys have had on the Redskins for whatever reason. A stranglehold that I believe will be broken this year. But, until it is broken, it must be included when looking at the Skins vs. the Cowboys come Thanksgiving.

Here is my problem with media coverage of Dallas/Washington so far. Seems most sources think Dallas could contend for a wild card spot due to ONLY having a "strong" defense this year. While most sources also say we have a strong defense, which should be equal if not BETTER than Dallas, they don't think we will be in the playoffs. Unless they think the difference will be our 2 games vs. Dallas. Seriously though, our offense should be better than Dallas, so I am not sure why the media feels the cowboys are going to return to so much stardom this year!?!

Why does the media focus on the Cows if the Skins have arguably better prospects?

I'll offer two reasons:

1. The Redskins have been the focus of so much attention the last two years. Mostly negative, even when favoring us to win it all, but attention nonetheless. Time for a new story line.

2. Who can dislike young, earnest rising stars like Champ, Samuels, Jansen? Who can dislike the good-natured flamboyance of Arrington and Smoot? Spurrier might be the lightening-rod, but on any other team he would be universally hailed as the breath of fresh air the league needs. This year the Redskins might actually have the right stuff. But they still have that short rich arrogant owner. Who wants to give him any satisfaction?

Originally posted by Art

We've done this exercise before, but, let's do it again. Washington has the following young Pro Bowl players on the roster:

Arrington

Samuels

Trotter

Bailey

Washington has the following young players on the verge of stardom:

Smoot

Jansen

Washington has the following players under 30 who've been to the Pro Bowl, sans the list above:

Gardener

Davis

Now, let's look at Dallas. Any young star players?

No.

Any young players on the verge of stardom?

Other than they'll answer, "QC and our whole rookie class," no.

Players under 30 who've made the Pro Bowl.

Coakley

Hardy

Glover

Yeah, I understand why the Cowboys future is so much brighter. Don't you?

Ok, fair evaluation, definitly bodes well for the Redskins.

Only one thing though, how come our OT's are getting shafted in this discussion? I believe Flozell Adams and Solomon Page are good- very good players. They are both young and are foundations for our O-line. I believe they both are on the Cusp of stardom. You, i know, don't think so. I just feel they are being overlooked in this arguement.

Also, Larry Allen just turned 30 a couple of months ago or he would be added to this list of pro bowlers under 30 but you can have him ommitted, I'll still take him on my team.

I also feel that Greg Ellis is one of the most underated players in the NFL, he will have a dominant season this year and make the Pro Bowl. You can add him to the list of young players on the verge of stardom. I do have other that are on the Verge of Stardom, IMO, but I know they will be shot down for various reasons which I can totally understand.

I also feel that this "evaluation" is a little bogus because it doesn't put enough value on quantity as opposed to quality. I feel as though the Cowboys are a deeper team than the Redskins who might not have as many Top quality players on their team.

Originally posted by redman

In my experience, "better depth" when referring to one's roster simply means "our starters aren't as good as yours". :)

Where, pray tell, are the Cowboys deeper?

Defensive Line

Offensive Line

Rb's

Te's

I am in Dallas.

I want to be in Washington

Blondie, to be honest you seem to me, from my very limited exposure, to be more of the Texas type (big-hearted and friendly). And that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure Dallas is a fine city as long as your not a Redskin fan or JFK.

Thank you Brave.

I am a true Texan. I am big hearted and extremely friendly. But I would much rather be watching the Skins.

Is it time to sing??

(To the tune of Ole McDonald)

Blondie wants to see a game

E I E I O

The panthers will be put to shame

E I E I O

:laugh:

Blondie

Ken,

Dallas doesn't have more depth on the offensive line than Washington. Prior to Dotson's injury you didn't have more depth on the defensive line either, though, I'll grant that to you at the moment again.

On the offensive line we have a veteran starter on multiple playoff teams IN RESERVE. Who do you have in reserve that is anything near Vickers in experience or quality? We both have lots of young players in reserve. Our starting offensive line is better than yours at at least three of five spots at the moment.

Further, we're deeper than you at corner, linebacker, QB, WR. While I grant you more depth at running back and defensive line at present, you are certainly behind us in terms of depth at those spots, and likely so at offensive line. So, if you lend great weight to depth positions, then great. We've got you there too.

Adams and Page are similar in most ways to Wynn for us. Fine players (though Page is less so). But, they are not on the verge of stardom and they are not mentioned as rising players to watch. They are capable enough, yes. But, they simply aren't that type of player anymore than Moore is for us at center. A fine player, yes, but nothing much more, and without a doubt nothing special.

The Greg Ellis mention is somewhat worrisome to be honest. He's not a pass rushing threat, though he seems capable against the run. He's so far away from being Pro Bowl material I can't really quantify it. Certainly if you are that high on Ellis given his performance through four years it'll be something worth watching. I'd be willing to wager he isn't even whispered as a Pro Bowl type player though.

Originally posted by Art

Ken,

Dallas doesn't have more depth on the offensive line than Washington. Prior to Dotson's injury you didn't have more depth on the defensive line either, though, I'll grant that to you at the moment again.

What? What games have you been watching?

Dallas has Ellis, Ekuban, Glover and Noble starting. Backing them up, we have Myers (starting DT last year), Zellner (starting DE last year) and Nix (solid run stuffing backup last year). Demetric Evans also is a backup at DE who played a lot last year and was excellent against the run.

We also have both draft picks back from last year and they are healthy now (Stewart and Blade).

On the offensive line we have a veteran starter on multiple playoff teams IN RESERVE. Who do you have in reserve that is anything near Vickers in experience or quality? We both have lots of young players in reserve. Our starting offensive line is better than yours at at least three of five spots at the moment.

Talk all you want about your OL, come the end of the season you will see how much better our OL is.

Further, we're deeper than you at corner, linebacker, QB, WR.

At this point, you don't even have EVEN ONE proven #1 WR on your roster. The only depth you have is Lockett. Anthony should be cut according to most skins fans here, so we won't even mention him. Basically, neither team has proven depth with the rest of the WR's, but I'll still take Bryant, Rambo and Swinton any day of the week over your backups.

Archived