Extremeskins

McNabb status Downgraded

carlsbadd

Just out:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-11042005-565077.html

McNabb may not face Redskins

By REUBEN FRANK

phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — Meanwhile, on the other side of the locker room, the news wasn't quite so good.

While wide receiver Terrell Owens was upgraded from doubtful to questionable with an ankle sprain and returned to practice, quarterback Donovan McNabb missed a second straight day of work and was downgraded from probable to questionable.

McNabb conceded after practice there's a chance he'll be forced to miss the Eagles' game against the Redskins Sunday because of bruised ribs suffered in the Denver game last weekend.

“My body hurts,” McNabb said. “We'll see. There's a chance I won't, there's a chance I will. We'll find out in a couple days.”

Coming from McNabb, who never even considers the possibility of missing a single snap, this may have been unprecedented.

He has played with every imaginable injury over the years and this year ranks second in the NFL with both 15 touchdown passes and 2,034 passing yards despite playing all season with various serious injuries.

“I'm feeling better just standing around,” McNabb said. “But that and getting on the field and moving around are two different things.”

McNabb has dealt with a bruised sternum, a shin bruise and the sports hernia but hasn't missed a snap because of injuries since a broken ankle kept him out of the last six games in 2002.

Asked if McNabb needs to practice today to be able to face the Redskins Sunday night in Landover, Md., head coach Andy Reid said, “I'll cross that when I get there. We'll see how he feels (today). He's quite a bit better. We'll see how it works out.”

For the second straight day, ninth-year veteran Koy Detmer played quarterback with the first-team offense.

Detmer is 12-for-13 for 108 yards in limited action in two games this year. He's started eight games in his career with a 3-5 record.

“He's definitely hurting, no question about it,” Detmer said of his teammates for seven years. “He's been taking shots all season and he's feeling it. But I know what kind of warrior he is and he battles through it. You can never count him out. We'll see what happens.”

Owens: Give me Favre over five

You knew he couldn't keep his mouth shut this long.

Owens, in an ESPN intervew that aired last night, said if Brett Favre were the Eagles' quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb they'd be undefeated. Favre threw five interceptions last week and the Packers fell to 1-6. The Eagles are 4-3.

“The way he plays with injures, he's a warrior,” Owens said of Favre. “With his knowledge of the game, I just feel like we'd be in a better situation.”

Harbaugh high on Hodges

Although it seemed like an odd acquisition, special teams coach John Harbaugh said the Eagles are high on punter Reggie Hodges, who ranked last in the NFL in punting before the Rams released him last month.

Hodges replaces Dirk Johnson, who was placed on Injured Reserve on Wednesday after re-tearing his sports hernia.

“We have known about him for a while,” Harbaugh said. “We tracked him through college and through the draft.

“He had a good workout and a better practice. We think he is very talented, very strong and very athletic. He has a lot of upside.”

Hodges, a rookie sixth-round draft pick out of Ball State, averaged 38.0 yards per punt and 31.0 net yards for the Rams, who cut him Oct. 10.

“Well, his numbers were pretty bad,” Harbaugh said. “He had some bad punts and some real short pooch punts ... and he had a couple of short balls that bounced back on him during the Giants game, so you're going to have low numbers.

“He is unproven and he's a rookie, but he is a draft pick who has a lot of talent and a lot of potential. We saw a lot of good things in his mechanics and a couple of things we think we can work on and get better.”

And if it doesn't work out?

Sean Landeta is still a phone call away.

“You hope he can do it, I believe he can do it,” Harbaugh said. “But we don't know for sure.”

*David Akers (hamstring) got through a second consecutive practice, kicked the football with authority, and looks like he'll be able to play this weekend. Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter (knee) practiced and should be fine for Sunday.

This and that

Defensive tackle Sam Rayburn (stinger) and defensive end Jevon Kearse (shoulder) both missed practice and remain questionable.

E-mail: eagleswriter@yahoo.com

McNugget will play..another smoke screen by the iggles...its a primetime game no way he sits out, just like T.O.

Wouldn't suprise me if this was an attempt by McNabb to get TO to respect and appreciate him again for the sake of the rest of the season. Even if they lose to us, they still have some shot at making the playoffs. If McNabb sits and TO plays, then TO gets little to no action w/ a back-up QB in, maybe he'll stop hating on McNabb. Maybe he's hoping this will strengthen their QB/WR relationship and better their chances for the season as a whole, rather than struggling through every game.

Owens: Give me Favre over five

You knew he couldn't keep his mouth shut this long.

Owens, in an ESPN intervew that aired last night, said if Brett Favre were the Eagles' quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb they'd be undefeated.

“The way he plays with injures, he's a warrior,” Owens said of Favre. “With his knowledge of the game, I just feel like we'd be in a better situation.”

looks like TO has some sort of man crush on Favre (he'll have to fight Madden for him though)...guess all those years he spent in SF with Jeff Garcia throwing him passes had a bigger effect on him than he's led on...

:whippin:

Yes, McNabb has been faking all these injuries to this point, and add this one to the list. They've been playing the league like a violin up to this point in order to set up the redskins come this Sunday. But you guys figured him out! Please don't email Coach Gibbs to tell him of their plans!!! If you must send that email, just talk about the media conspiracy against the redskins.

Archived