Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wow! This is on the Eagles official site!

tr1

A Selfish Act Tests Team's Strength

November 4, 2005

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=38790

His words are biting and selfish and have me steaming. Boiling over. Disgusted.

Terrell Owens went on ESPN on Thursday night and blasted the Eagles organization, pointed fingers at the team's 4-3 start and basically, once again, put himself ahead of the other 52 players in the locker room.

Awful.

Only a few days after head coach Andy Reid stood in front of the team and gave a "We are one" speech, Owens goes off and separates himself from the pack.

Just a few days before the start of an ultra-critical NFC East stretch of games, Owens has put himself apart from the team. He has, apparently given no thought to how destructive his words could be to a team struggling at 4-3. Then again, maybe he understands perfectly.

There is always, it seems, a method to his badness. It's all about him.

In case you missed it -- and I did, because Owens' television appearances these days, limited to ESPN, lack any kind of entertainment punch -- Owens spoke to the Worldwide Leader In Sports on Thursday and, well, here is what he said, followed by my reaction.

I trust you will feel something after reading on ...

When asked if the Eagles would be 7-0 if Brett Favre were the quarterback, Owens said: "That's a good assessment. I'd agree with that. A number of commentators will say he's a warrior, he's played with injuries. I feel like him being knowledgeable about the quarterback position, I feel like we'd probably be in a better situation."

Then Owens added: "If Donovan (McNabb) wasn't hurt our record would probably be better."

My reaction: How dare Owens show such a lack of respect for his quarterback, the one whom he begged to play with last year, the one who helped Owens have one of his finest seasons, the one who looks for Owens 15 times a game and who never gets in Owens' face when he drops a pass, which, by the way, happens.

What can Owens possibly gain from such remarks? How does it benefit McNabb, who, yes, is not at the top of his game but who has played through a multitude of injuries this season -- hey, throughout his career.

Typical, I guess. Blame somebody else, even the hand that feeds you.

Owens was asked about not having in-stadium recognition when he scored his 100th career receiving touchdown against the Chargers. He railed on the Eagles organization for that one.

"They claim to be first-class and the best organization. I just felt it was like an embarrassment. It just shows the lack of class that they had."

My reaction: When Owens scored his 100th career touchdown against the Raiders a couple of weeks earlier, there were repeated mentions of the feat, video board recognition and plenty of hoopla.

And in that same Chargers game, McNabb was not recognized for completing his 35th pass of the game, a franchise record.

Poor, T.O. He wants every eye on him every step of the way. Does he understand the impact he has with the words he speaks, with the show-off actions he takes?

What an ego.

Owens was also asked about next year. Will he be an Eagle?

"I just want to be happy. If it's here then I would love to be here, if not you got to move on ... If there's a situation where they have a change of heart and come to their senses and pay me what I'm worth, then I'd be more than happy to be here.

"At this time I'm being honest with myself just trying to look toward the future and I just don't see myself really being here. It's not because I don't want to be here but I just don't foresee them doing the necessary things to keep me here."

My reaction: I wouldn't pay the guy another dime. He is in the second year of a seven-year contract and he's already being fairly compensated for his value to the team.

I guess Owens doesn't understand that "value to the team" takes into account more than catches and touchdowns. Does he understand that his "value to the team" lowers every time he opens his mouth?

I bought into last year. Owens made it easy to be a fan of his. He was cordial with the media and the organization. He was great on the field. He was terrific with the fans. Was it all fake? Was it all an act?

Is the only way to make him happy to keep throwing money at him? Geez, isn't that what is wrong with America? Greed? Selfishness?

Finally, Owens was asked about the Eagles fans. "I love the Philly fans. I know I've lost some but there are a lot of fans that understand where I'm coming from and they enjoy what I do on the football field," he said. "I still feel that overall there are more people that love me than hate me."

My reaction: I wouldn't be too sure that more people "love me than hate me."

Eagles fans uncharacteristically poured their hearts out to Owens last season. They allowed themselves to love the guy. They seranaded him.

And then Owens dragged fans' emotions into his gutter after the Super Bowl.

Love him? How could you? You respect his talents as a football player, but what else is there to love? A guy who tries to rip apart a team -- and by team I'm talking about players, coaches, the organization, the fans -- by constantly putting himself first?

I don't think so.

So what do the Eagles do? Andy Reid can't be happy. He's now got to deal with another T.O. sideshow two days before this game in Washington. Reid will be asked over and over again at his Friday afternoon press conference about Owens' statements and about how the team will address those statements.

I suspect Reid will look to keep his reactions "in house."

That's fine. But something must be done. Owens is trying to take money out of the pockets of the other 52 players in the locker room. That can't sit well with his teammates.

So I call on the leaders in the locker room to take a stand. Enough is enough. Owens has been the headliner all week once again -- is there any coincidence that this is happening with two nationally-televised games ahead? -- with his injury situation and now this.

It's really neauseating. Owens thinks he can -- actually, he appears to have this ultimate goal -- rip the team apart. Does he want to win a Super Bowl? It doesn't seem that way to me. Seems to me he wants to prove he can be all-powerful and tear the Eagles apart.

That can't happen. The team has to rise above Owens and his selfishness. What to do about Owens? I have my thoughts. I'm holding back, believe me. He's not an Eagle, that's for sure. He clearly doesn't want what is good for the team, only for himself.

I'd love to be able to dismiss what Owens says, because his words are so irrelevant. This time, though, he's really ticked me off. We'll find out today how ticked off everyone else in that locker room is as they have to deal with another Owens blatherfest during the weekend that kicks off a defining part of this Eagles season.

Spadaro is a mouthpiece for the organization and usually kept on a pretty short leash... I have to think, that if he is writing this piece like this... the organization must have sent out word that something is gonna change.. and quick.

it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out today.

Spadaro is a mouthpiece for the organization and usually kept on a pretty short leash... I have to think, that if he is writing this piece like this... the organization must have sent out word that something is gonna change.. and quick.

it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out today.

Do you really think they might deactivate TO?

If they do something like that, it wouldn't surprise me to see the rest of the players use it as a lightning rod and put on a great show on Sunday night.

I can't believe that this would be on their official site.

Believe it! You should have heard Brian Mitchell on the radio this morning. He said he would have punched TO in the mouth!

Always loved Mitchell when he was here. He was a true leader and a big part of why the won a lot of games.

Believe it! You should have heard Brian Mitchell on the radio this morning. He said he would have punched TO in the mouth!

Always loved Mitchell when he was here. He was a true leader and a big part of why the won a lot of games.

I missed that but heard B-Mitch was tearing him a new one... I heard Hugh, who we know "loves him sum T.O." was also on... what did he have to say ?

I missed that but heard B-Mitch was tearing him a new one... I heard Hugh, who we know "loves him sum T.O." was also on... what did he have to say ?

Hugh said the F.O should Keyshawn him and send him packing. That way the team can become a team again. If that happens, then we might see our Old Eagles (2000-2003) team back. You know, the one where Duce once said, "The only way to play is to MASH MASH MASH then SCORE!" :D

Hugh said the F.O should Keyshawn him and send him packing. That way the team can become a team again. If that happens, then we might see our Old Eagles (2000-2003) team back. You know, the one where Duce once said, "The only way to play is to MASH MASH MASH then SCORE!" :D

I agree.....but who are you going to mash with?

Reno Mahe.

I can see it now... Koy Detmer, Mahe, and G. Lew. Man what a line up....

C'mon Skins fans... you know that those "triplets" have you scared... :D

Yes, I am

I am shaking alright..............with laughter

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Fingers crossed they cut their losses NOW and move on without him. However, Andy Reid is very stubborn, by deactivating him may show the he(Reid) made a mistake in signing him in the first place.

Fingers crossed they cut their losses NOW and move on without him. However, Andy Reid is very stubborn, by deactivating him may show the he(Reid) made a mistake in signing him in the first place.

This is the best post I've ever seen you make. I think you're right, too!

I think TO is finally on a tight leash...one more, and I say he's gone.

I ain't ready to cut ties with Owens yet. He needs to understand its going to be Donovans team now, and after he is gone. So he needs to learn to live with him. But I don't want to see him gone.

We can not be a team again until he is gone. A T.O. suspension would be a great rallying point for this team.

We can not be a team again until he is gone. A T.O. suspension would be a great rallying point for this team.

Damn right....I want the real Eagles back! The ones who used to sing the fight song on the sidelines after a score. The ones who used to dance together in the end-zone. I want the same Eagles who wore white sneakers, but I still want them to wear the black ones!

Redskins are lucky to be facing the Eagles in this state of disarray. Talk about self destruction. So many sports media pundits, except the ones in Philly, said signing T.O. is like playing with fire. You're gonna get burned eventually. WOW!

Damn right....I want the real Eagles back! The ones who used to sing the fight song on the sidelines after a score. The ones who used to dance together in the end-zone. I want the same Eagles who wore white sneakers, but I still want them to wear the black ones!

Exactly. I want the fun back. I want the ONE slogan to mean something again.

Redskins are lucky to be facing the Eagles in this state of disarray. Talk about self destruction. So many sports media pundits, except the ones in Philly, said signing T.O. is like playing with fire. You're gonna get burned eventually. WOW!

a wounded animal is even more dangerous

Just last week WeaponX was telling me how "no Redskin receiver...can compare to TO." After I pointed out the stats and clutch plays made by Santana Moss this season, he backed down a little. Now though, the TO ship is sinking and he's jumping overboard. I love it! :laugh:

Archived