Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's Your Favorite Guitar Player?

DeanCollins

I totally agree about Alex Lifeson. He DOES get overlooked because of Neil Peart, but he's definately one of the best of all time.

My band is playing Tom Sawyer and Limelight and the solo's in both songs are odd, yet perfect for those songs, no one could have written anything better.

I love his use of the higher strings on rhythm parts rather than just chugging along on the lower string like so many others do. He's very original definatley one of my favorite players.

I mean, he is definitley absolutely amazing. If you really sit down and listen, his groove is amazing, his sound is amazing, and he has so much fun doing it that he lets it all hang out all the time. I mean he brings it ALL the time. Truely a joy to be able to understand and enjoy Rush all across the table. Yes even Geedyna Lee. ;)

WTF NO LOVE FOR DIMEBAG DARRELL?? This guy was awesome, only Jimi was better. And this guy took a bullet to the head onstage, died there - that is the ultimate ROCK N ROLL

Here's some support for him, Dimebag was bad ass, his solos were insane, one of the best I'll say although a lot of the ppl on this thread have gotten to experience more of the classic ones, along with dimebag though im goin with tony iommi, angus young, and SRV, my dad used to play SRV for me and I was amazed at his talent

I like this thread - it gives me a chance to keep some names in circulation that might otherwise be forgotten, like:

Danny Gatton - the guy that Steve Vai called "closer than anyone else to being the best guitar player that ever lived."

Shawn Lane - who Vernon Reid called "the fastest GOOD guitarist".

Roy Buchanan - Guitar Player magazine called his playing "gut wrenching" on the album "When a Guitar Plays the Blues"

I like this thread - it gives me a chance to keep some names in circulation that might otherwise be forgotten, like:

Danny Gatton - the guy that Steve Vai called "closer than anyone else to being the best guitar player that ever lived."

Roy Buchanan - Guitar Player magazine called his playing on "gut wrenching" on the album "When a Guitar Plays the Blues"

Tragic endings to both of these gifted DC area players. Roy Buchanan, after a period of sobriety, was arrested by Fairax co. police for DWI. There was a scuffle and later he was found hanging in his jail cell (mysteriously)

Danny Gatton, after having a argument with his wife in MD., went out to his garage, where he loved to work on his hotrod, and shot himself. I cried when I heard the news.

Roy Buchanan

31394856.RoyBuchanan5.jpg

RoyBuchanan_001.jpg

Danny Gatton

Danny%20Gatton.gif

What, No love for Al Di Meola?

al_dimeola_400.jpg

Guys, If you really love guitar; and I know you do :D, check this dude out.

http://www.aldimeola.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Di_Meola

He's a jazz fusion artist with a spanish flair. Sort of a Carlos Santana with a PHD, on speed. I recomend you start with "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway". The studio version from the Elegant Gypsy album is 99 cents on I tunes, just don't blame me if you have to hear more. :laugh:

I also have a version of the same song as a duet with Steve Vai. :applause:

Me, I'm downloading his new album right now... :laugh:

home_titel.jpg

What, No love for Al Di Meola?

Guys, If you really love guitar; and I know you do :D, check this dude out.

http://www.aldimeola.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Di_Meola

He's a jazz fusion artist with a spanish flair. Sort of a Carlos Santana with a PHD, on speed.

Thanks Mike, with that said

should we also mention the Les Paul?

The original "shredder" and the father of Jazz and "Lead" guitar

lespaul.jpg

Here's mine

Johnny Winter

APB_JohnnyWinter.jpg

Duane Allman - beautiful player with a redneck soul

Hendrix - no comment needed

Jimmy Paige - Studio guitar work unmatched to this day

SRV - Best live guitar I've ever seen. Saw him at the Grand ole Opry, first row, opening for BB King and his guitar string are sooo fat.

Eddie Van Halen - Fair Warning is a guitar masterpiece.

Navarro - love his grooves

Rhodes - raw tightness at its finest

Archived