Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think I know what happened in Jersey

GSF

Well, it's taken me 3 days to work up the gumption to make a post about the loss to the Giants. Watching your team get so completely and utterly dominated really takes it out of you.

During the game, I kept thinking, "are we going to show up today or what?" We just never got it going. Everybody on the team stunk. We dropped balls, we missed tackles, we made numerous horrible penalties. The whole team was just bad.

After the game, I really wasn't that concerned. Teams have those games every once in a while where nothing goes right. Sometimes teams just lay an egg, and we layed a humungous one on Sunday. But as Monday and Tuesday passed, I kept wondering to myself why we would lay such a huge egg in such an important game, and then I remembered something. The same thing used to happen every once in a while when Gibbs used to coach the Skins, and from that memeory I formed the following theory:

The Redskins were too tired and sore to compete because Coach Gibbs worked them too hard in practice during the week.

Now understand that I'm not slamming Coach Gibbs here. Anyone who remembers any of my rare threads knows that I'm a huge fane of Joe Gibbs. I truly believe that Gibbs is the best NFL coach of all time, and I'm very confident that he will win another Lombardy with the Redskins. I also understand though that Joe Gibbs is human, and that all human beings make mistakes, and I believe that Coach Gibbs made one this week by working the players too hard out of sheer desire to beat the Giants.

Gibbs has always been known to be one of the hardest practicing coaches in the league, and there was often some contraversy around him when it came to this philosophy. In the long run, Joe Gibbs teams were always in great condition at the end of the season and into the playoffs, but players used to get hurt in practice a little more often then one would like to see, and every once in a while, the Skins would have a very flat game and would just look tired.

Fast forward to last Sunday and what happened. Nobody played well for the Skins. Brunell showed up with a brace on his knee and looked eerily like the Mark Brunell we all loved last season. The oline could not protect Brunell in Max protect from the Giants' front four who are good, but not that good. Griffin mysteriously left the game after the first play. We can only guess that like Brunell, that Cornelius, the best player on our defense, got hurt in practice earlier in the week. Samuels and Cooley wound up leaving the game hurt, and it seemed like the whole team was limping around out there. Moss, Patten, and Royals dropped everything that came their way, and every time we got remotely close to do something positive, we'd negate it with a bonehead penalty. Betts was coughing up kickoff returns, and poor old Ray Brown got pancaked so bad it looked like something out of a cartoon.

A team doesn't just coincidentally and suddenly suck that bad across the board. No, mental errors like dropped balls and personal fouls come from a lack of focus, and it's hard to focus when you're sore and exhausted.

Believe it or not, as bad as that game was, there is still plenty of good news. First, we are still very much in the running with some crucial games coming up at home. Second, we're back to being the underdog with the media, where is exactly where this squad needs to be. Third, Gibbs knows what is going on with his team. He will rest guys like Griffin, Samuels, Cooley, and Brunell, and hopefully these guys will be back up to speed when the Eagles come to Fedex next week. Lastly, all of the hard practicing will pay off in the long run. This team will be hardened, and in great shape late in the season, and that will be a great advantage if we're battling for a playoff spot.

Footnote: In contrast to the Redskins, the Giants were well rested and emmotionally inspired after the events that transpired during their week of preparation. RIP Mr. Mara.

I would hope we would have an advantage from working so hard during the week.

That's a different perspective, yet it wouldn't be out of line with what some of our players have said about the teams practice habbits.

We always look flat when we play other NFC East opponents.

Still, tired skins or fresh skins, the Giants earned this one.

I was thinking this too when I was watching the game. Obviously, there's no way for us to know, but I can say that either the players were tired, or they just weren't trying very hard. You could definitely see this with the linemen who just seemed to be getting overpowered on every play. Whatever it was, lets hope it doesn't happen next week.

They looked like they were moving in slow motion because they were moving in slow motion. And we can all thank our lucky stars that there weren't any serious injuries as a result of that. Because 9 times out of 10 when a slow motion player is on the same field with players that are flying around at full speed...that slow mo guy is going to get hurt.

GSF, your theory is the best one that I have read as to maybe why the skins came out so flat Sunday. I reached so far as to post a thread asking if maybe the players were down about the passing of Mr. Mara.

Or maybe not hard enough.

"The harder you work the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi

I'd say it's a safe bet that not practicing hard enough wasn't the problem. Gibbs and Williams are both known for being very hard practicers. Coming off a blow out win at home, and with all the good press the Skins got last week, it's easy to envision Gibbs wanting to keep the guys humble. This and the fact that this was the biggest game Gibbs had faced to date since his return, I think he may have overdone it a bit.

They looked like they were moving in slow motion because they were moving in slow motion. And we can all thank our lucky stars that there weren't any serious injuries as a result of that. Because 9 times out of 10 when a slow motion player is on the same field with players that are flying around at full speed...that slow mo guy is going to get hurt.

GSF, your theory is the best one that I have read as to maybe why the skins came out so flat Sunday. I reached so far as to post a thread asking if maybe the players were down about the passing of Mr. Mara.

Thanks Flex. There weren't any serious injuries, but guys were getting banged up left and right. The only Redskins that looked like they were moving full speed were some of the back ups that came in, like Evans.

Who knows whats going on this one? I'm so befuddled by the team right now. This is better than being depressed like I was after week one. I had all but thrown the season out the window with how pathetic our offense looked.

How about I come up with my own feel good theory?

Okay Gibbs threw the game because he knew the team was getting so ****y and the only way they were going to the playoffs was under constant pressure.

I personally just hope this was a gut check and not reflective of the nature of the team.

Maybe, one positive thing that will be learned is the detrimental effect holdman being out of position had on the "team." Maybe this will be a lesson if lavar is utilized with only two other linebacker.

Sigh... I guess they wouldn't be the Redskins if there weren't all these maybes.

u cant say we were too exausted.. we just got played out like the kid and play dance.. they set the tone from the first run and after that, lemar and the redskins was too focus into stopping the run.. and then thats when plaxico and shockey comes in.. they mixed us up like we were in a juice maker.. we were confused, on our tippy toes.. didnt know what was coming next.. we flat out got spank.. enough with these threads...

Archived