Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prisco on Spurrier

luckydevil

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/5588539

So the NFL game will change Steve Spurrier? Not quite. When Spurrier decided to leave Florida to coach the Redskins, the talk around the league was that there's no way Spurrier could run a pass-happy offense. That was typical backward thinking. In his debut last week, Spurrier had his quarterbacks throw 45 passes, while there were just 21 runs. That might not make running back Stephen Davis too happy, but Spurrier will hold firm to his belief that passing is how you score points in the NFL. Finally, someone other than Mike Martz who understands what it takes to succeed on offense. Davis will be useful in the fourth quarter when it's time to hold onto the lead. But let's not get too carried away with what the Redskins did on offense that night. They were playing against NFL Europe-caliber players in the second half, which helped make Danny Wuerffel look good. Plus, the coverage was very vanilla from the 49ers. But Spurrier's approach will work in the NFL. It's not just the system, either. It's his willingness to keep throwing even when things don't go as well at first. That's why he will be a very good NFL coach. As for rubbing the 49ers the wrong way, that's to be expected. He rubs a lot of opponents the wrong way. Does he care? Not at all. You don't make friends coaching in the NFL.

Originally posted by mphilips16

I love how since Saturday all the sports hacks are telling everyone how great SS will be in the NFL after writing for months about how he's gonna fall on his face

morons

Exactly mphilips!! I can't stand those losers!!! That's how they keep there jobs though. They hope that no one remembers what they have been saying for months if what they predict doesn't happen. Classic losers IMO...

And what will happen with these mediots is, when (not if) our offense has its first rough outing this season, they'll be all over Spurrier for being too aggressive, not being disciplined, not getting how the NFL works, blah, blah, blah.

F them, and enjoy the ride. It's going to be a good one.

"Can you say bandwagon boys and girls? That's right, bandwagon. I knew you could. That's when somebody says something just because everyone else is saying it. Then when everybody sees that things are really different, they all start saying the opposite of what they said before. You know what opposite is, don't you? Well, doing that is called jumping on the ol' bandwagon."

- Mr. Rogers

Guest Goatroper

If everyone is getting this giggly and giddy after one preseason game, imagine what will happen if Spurrier actually wins a game in the regular season.

Have to hire an extra kid to mop up the slobber in the pressbox.

Wooo-weeeee! Bawlcoach done revolutionized the NFL!

Coach of the Year isn't good enough. They'll need to create a Nobel Prize in Football.

Boys, it's going to be a GREAT season!

if Cowboys fans can get excited about a football team that is coming off 5-11 and drafted 2 potential starters in Williams and Gurode, Redskins fans should be allowed to get excited about a team that has what, double or triple the amount of pro bowl players and a new coach? :)

Originally posted by mphilips16

Especially with all these Gators hanging off the sides

My definition of bandwagon fans are people who follow or support a team because of its success. People who follow a team because they're loyal to a coach or player is not a bandwagon fan. Spurrier was a Gator long before becoming a 'Skin. He won the Heisman for Florida in 1966 before coaching at UF for 12 seasons. I graduated from the University of Florida in '00. There's a personal connection there that goes beyond the scoreboard or the wins-loss column.

I guess in the world of free-agency and players being pinballed around the league, there isn't much respect given to fans of players or coaches.

To All Gator Fans: If you are coming to the Washington Redskins to follow Steve Spurrier, and you previously have not rooted for an NFL team, I say welcome aboard. However if you leave when Steve Spurrier does, (hopefully that will be after at least 11 very successful seasons) then you are a bandwagon fan. That's the test.

Goatroper, I understand that you have no conception of being excited about a football coach since your last three were little more than JJ yes-men. No real innovators of the bunch.

No need to rain on our parade, however. We're just having fun at the prospect of football being exciting and successful in DC again, much as that pains you.

Why would that "pain" me? ...And I don't think what I wrote could be characterized as attempting to rain on someone's parade, though. It wasn't really anything other than defending my position to be here. I'm just amused that someone would say Gator fans were bandwagon fans because they're starting to follow the 'Skins because of Spurrier. It’s this whole “fan etiquette” that’s really doing the raining. It’s ridiculous to believe that cheering for a team longer than someone gives you more right to do it. When you get down to it, a “fan” is really only a person who likes watching a team. Sure there are graduated levels of appreciation and I understand that, but when I bought my redskins t-shirts two months ago online, it wasn’t accompanied by an email requesting I provide proper fan-identification. Ironically, I was asked to submit a 10-page essay on why the Redskins were the greatest NFL team ever when I bought a couple key-rings at the supermarket.

Now I have seen a few Gators post on this board who have been far for exemplary. I cringed when some jackass started flaunting around how well former Gators had played for the ‘Skins in their first preseason game and demanded that people justify their previous positions concerning them. I have read others, on the other hand, who have impressed me with their knowledge of the Redskins and the Gators.

I’ll admit that I would not be watching the Redskins this year with any enthusiasm had Spurrier not joined their team. Fair enough? But I’m not going to take the so-called “moral 'football fan' high-ground” and refuse to watch the ‘skins this year because of a failure to provide any other justifications for watching them. Geez, this isn't Iwa Jima. No need to try making other fans feel bad about being fans because you feel "other" reasons are "better" reasons. As if simply liking to watch a football team doesn't crest above the desired watermark of fandom. As if I had to be bolted to a chair and watch Norv Turner coach on the sidelines with my eyelids taped open to be able to earn my fan stripes.

Sorry for the rant though. I just don’t want to be reduced to a second-class citizen here because I have somehow failed to reach the qualifications you’re looking for. What else can I say? I watched the entire first pre-season game with a giddy laugh on my face. ::shrugs:: Why can’t we all just agree to follow the same team and leave it at that?

-----------------------------------

(ahhhhhhhhh.... I can't read at 1:40 in the morning. I thought you said Gatorpower, not Goatroper... sorry) Opps... Disregard all that.

Nice post gatorpower and I agree with you 100%. All this talk about bandwagon fans is total nonsense. Everybody has a different motivation for following a certain sports team and just because you happen to have followed a team longer than somebody else doesn't make you a better fan.

I don't mind the Gator fans invading this forum at all. On the contrary they bring some nice insight to the table and that's always appreicated.

That said, one thing I can't deal with at all are the jerks that bust in here with their "nanana I told you so" attitude. If you can't play nice and respect your fellow fans oppinions then get the eff off this board.

Archived