Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boston Area Elementary School Cancels Halloween and Bans Costumes And Candy

visionary

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9665241/#051031a

This is by Dan Abrams from MSNBC...he talked about this on his show today too, he was pissed off at these people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Oct. 31, 2005 | 7:13 p.m. ET

P.C. police cause Halloween horror (Dan Abrams)

It’s come to this. Somehow even Halloween has become a political/religious issue. Who would have thought the P.C. police would be able to spook school officials into making Halloween off limits?

In Newton, Massachusetts, there are no Spidermans, ballerinas, Darth Vaders, or Harry Potters at Underwood elementary school today. The principal forbid the teachers, staff and students from wearing costumes, and also canceled all Halloween arts and crafts activities. But it’s hard to call principal Dr. David Castelline a ghoul or goblin. Last year Castelline himself got into the spirit. He even grew a beard so he could more accurately portray Boston Red Sox centerfielder Johnny Damon.

No, this year he just struck out by caving into pressure from a handful of ghastly parents who threatened to boycott school. Some because they oppose the celebrations on religious grounds, claiming Halloween has pagan or satanic overtones and others who advocate the separation of church and state. One American Studies professor was quoted in news reports today saying Halloween "really gets to the heart of minority rights and minority feelings in a pluralistic culture.”

Oh, please. How do you explain this one to the kids? Well, honey you can't go to school today as a ballerina because Halloween is not just about candy corn and jack o lanterns. No, it's a far more serious religious holiday…Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice. What world are we living in? If you don't want to have your kids dress up then don't. And you know what else? I hate to break the news to you, but it’s not a real holiday!! People still go to work. It’s kind of like taking Groundhog day seriously.

Sure, if you look back far enough you can trace Halloween rituals to more than just fun and games. But that is not the reality today. The few who still adhere to the origins of the Halloween holiday are a few fringe so-called witches.

What about Valentines Day? After all, February 14 celebrates the martyrdom of a Catholic priest named Valentine who conducted secret marriages. Will parents now insist that their kids not give Valentine cards at school because they might actually be honoring a religious tradition?

Lighten up. These are at worst, Hallmark holidays and at best, just fun. Don't make me come over there and egg and toilet paper your house tonight.

Way to go Chomerics..

Didnt you say the North was more openminded? That the south didnt have it like you did? Wouldnt want 2 princess' and a Washington Redskins outfit going door to door.

The Horror.

Did I miss something, is Chomerics the mastermind behind this?

I didn't even think he had any kids...

;)

:D

Yeah, that's about as stupid as pulling prayer and the bible out of schools.

If you enter in JEB Stuart High and go to the library on the back shelf to the right there is the Bible among other religious books and its been there for years even after the remodeling.

As for this school situation

Some because they oppose the celebrations on religious grounds, claiming Halloween has pagan or satanic overtones and others who advocate the separation of church and state.

I have seen where relgious parents have used this against Harry Potter. When it comes to school prayer they state there is no seperation of church and state in the constituation. When it comes to anything that could violate " shalt not suffer witch to live" they sing the seperation tune. Which is it with these people ?

* "suffer a witch to live" was possibly misinterperted from the orignal translation both words Witch and Poisioner are close in the untranslated document but where probably interchanged during transcription.

Isn't this more a religious right issue?

Halloween was always my favorite holiday as a kid. Kids would roam the streets without parents and we would all be laughing and running and having a suger high blast. Everyone from the grumpiest old fart to the newest neighbor would open their doors. We collected for Unicef and other causes too. Today's Halloween, a thing of shopping mall trick or treating and haunted houses is so much more sanitized. To quote an old song... Hey Teachers! Leave the Kids Alone. or Let 'em eat candy and cake.

My wife teaches in Montgomery County, MD and they have a normal Halloween thing there. A few years ago, though, she taught in PG County and they don't. They called it a "Book Parade" and you were only allowed to dress as a character from a book. In addition, certain books were off limits becuase they didn't want any Draculas or Frankenstein Monsters.

Most of the people behind this, including teachers put pressure on the principle and others because they said it was a religious holiday and they felt it was important to uphold the minority rights of people (mostly them) who did not want to see halloween celebrated at school becasue it offended them as a common religious holiday. Those who backed this decision on grounds of Halloween been evil and all that, were the smallest bunch.

What a bunch of ****ing dumbasses. How many little kids are concerned with the religious implications behind the "holiday"?

If this is your arguement then how many "little kids" are concerend about the religious implications behind prayer in school or the pledge of alliegance? This is merely a case of whats good for the goose is good for the gander, Halloween is a holiday that started with its roots in a Pagan religion therefore it should not be exempt because that "religion" was not Christianity. The fact is so much of our society and world has been ingrained with "religion" of some sort to begin with that we cannot possibly remove it all.

If this is your arguement then how many "little kids" are concerend about the religious implications behind prayer in school or the pledge of alliegance? This is merely a case of whats good for the goose is good for the gander, Halloween is a holiday that started with its roots in a Pagan religion therefore it should not be exempt because that "religion" was not Christianity. The fact is so much of our society and world has been ingrained with "religion" of some sort to begin with that we cannot possibly remove it all.

So you like what happened up in Boston?

So you like what happened up in Boston?

I was giving an example of how this is no different in principle than taking prayer and the pledge out of schools. Do you like that that is happening? If you do than you should be just as happy "in principle" pretaining to the previous comment I quoted that Halloween has been removed.

I dont like anything that happens in Boston....but I do think the US is getting a bit rediculous that the most important things to discuss in our schools is weather or not we should say the pledge or celebrate Halloween. Our systems are falling behind the rest of the world and we really should focus more energy to the quality of education our children are getting and be more involved so that when a child asks why we say "one nation under god" in the pledge we can give an accurate account of US history and US tradition that placed that phrase in the pledge. Also when kids ask about Halloween we can give an equaly educated response. If the parents take issue either way they can have an open forum to come to a reasonable comprimise in each individual case.

Christmas began as a Pegan holiday as well... Just wanted to point that out.

You are correct, it was also became a "tradition" to celebrate the birth of Jesus on the same day, but I dont think we want to take that out of public schools because it would screw up everyones vacation time teachers would be ticked and then our jobs would start wanting us to come in on those holidays and that would suck, cant sleep in and theres football on Christmas day!!

Christmas began as a Pegan holiday as well... Just wanted to point that out.

Thank you.

I don't remember all the details, but seems I remember watching a show on TDC once that said several of our so called religious holidays and practices are based on pagan ones.

Archived