Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over-emphasis on T.O's

MrSilverMaC

It seems to me that the defense is operating with an over-emphasis on creating turnovers. I don't know if I could count how many blown tackles we have been guilty of after trying to strip the ball on what should have been an easy stop.

Case in point, Lavar letting Shockey score. He could have simply tackled Shockey, but he goes for the strip instead, Shockey runs through his arm tackle and into the endzone.

I think perhaps they should go back to the fundamentals, worry about making the tackle first, then worry about forcing a fumble. T.O's are nice, blown stops are killer.

Our tackling is atrocious, aside from trying to strip the ball, we are just wiffing on one on one tackles also. How many big plays have we given up due to someone not wrapping up, or simply being juked out of their shoes? Perhaps Williams should stop what ever turnover drills they are having, and just get back to his old regimen. We need people to be in their assigned spot more than we need turnovers.

:2cents: :helmet:

Yeah. I dont run the practices but I think right now our D-fense is complete garbage. Garbage! Walt Harris seemed pretty solid up until yesterday. WTF happened? Our D-line completely blows right now. I like Lamar Marshall but sometimes our whole D unit looks like a practice squad. Why are other teams creating so much space? Its ridiculous.

I personally think there is an over-emphasis on going to the ball. Too many times have I see the entire field shift, a small guy like Tiki suddenly cuts back b/c there is nowhere to go, and they cant see him behind the pack. Next thing you know he busts out on the other side where NOBODY is because they've all shifted. They need to start practicing wrapping up the play entirely, and not just running a straight line to the ball carrier.

You guys don't have a defense with a lot of guys who are going to dominate 1-1 matchups (especially with Griffin out). Williams has to guess and take chances. You guys will guess run, everyone will 1-gap, 6 or 7 guys will be trying to get into the backfield, and if its play action pass, you're SOL. Or he'll guess pass and only have 3 guys rushing at the snap, and 8 guys dropping into coverage, and if its a quick-hitter up the middle, the RB is 5 yards past the line before your back 7 gets a shot at him.

Your defense looks amazing when you guess right. Bledsoe dropped back over and over again with 6 or 7 guys to protect, and only 3 guys in the pattern, but there were 8 Redskins back there waiting for him to throw the ball. Or you'll blitz the gaps on a draw play and 3 guys will be there to drop the RB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It's a high-risk, high-reward defense.

You guys don't have a defense with a lot of guys who are going to dominate 1-1 matchups (especially with Griffin out). Williams has to guess and take chances. You guys will guess run, everyone will 1-gap, 6 or 7 guys will be trying to get into the backfield, and if its play action pass, you're SOL. Or he'll guess pass and only have 3 guys rushing at the snap, and 8 guys dropping into coverage, and if its a quick-hitter up the middle, the RB is 5 yards past the line before your back 7 gets a shot at him.

Your defense looks amazing when you guess right. Bledsoe dropped back over and over again with 6 or 7 guys to protect, and only 3 guys in the pattern, but there were 8 Redskins back there waiting for him to throw the ball. Or you'll blitz the gaps on a draw play and 3 guys will be there to drop the RB 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It's a high-risk, high-reward defense.

Which is exactly why we also need a natural Pass rushing D.E in the worst way. Would have been nice to get Kiwi next year. I hope Campbell severely out-performs expectations.

if we were getting more interceptions, then we'd be better tacklers (wouldnt always go for the strip) i think...

My point is maybe we should stop worrying about them at all. They'll come if they come. A pick here, a fumble there is great but we need to get back to the core of what our defense WAS. Solid play from sound technique and good tackling. It seems as soon as the turnover thing was brought up, and the coaches tried to do something about it, the defense's performance went down.

If we get back to just over 16 PPG allowed we are going to keep winning games. Not everyone of them, but most of them at least.

Archived