Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI: Monday Morning QB

jbooma

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/10/30/mmqb.mara/index.html

This week's top 15 teams in the NFL:

1. Indianapolis (7-0). On his bye week, Peyton Manning went to Knoxville, where Tennessee retired his number on Saturday, then on to New Jersey for little brother Eli's Sunday showdown with Washington. He was chuckling wryly when he said this to me in midweek: "What would a bye week be like for me without two football games?"

2. Pittsburgh (4-2). And on the Sabbath, Jerome Bettis rested those valuable pins for the duel with the Ravens.

3. Denver (6-2). I just noticed the Denver-Dallas Thanksgiving Day game. Am I right in thinking this is going to be the best Thanksgiving Day game since the Triplets roamed Texas Stadium?

4. San Diego (4-4). I mean, how good is Antonio Gates?

5. New York Giants (5-2). I am reminded what was said by Wellington Mara at the annual NFL meeting following the death of beloved Pittsburgh owner Art Rooney. Mara said The Chief was probably looking down, chomping on a cigar, so happy with what the game has become. Ditto Giants 36, Washington 0 with Mara. Ditto.

6. New England (4-3). One thing I hate about how the networks do football was illustrated last night. Instead of immediately showing a replay of Tedy Bruschi's first play back -- the play we've been waiting for months to see and thought we might never see, and, remarkably, a play on which Bruschi made a tackle -- we saw the graphic of the Bills' starting defense. Pfffft. There goes the moment. The air went right out of the balloon. It's not just ESPN. I think every network would have done that. Doesn't anyone ever argue with the director and say: Hey, this is a big moment right here. Save the intros for the second series?

7. Seattle (5-2). On their bye Sunday, the Seahawks gave thanks for that Bledsoe gift a week ago.

8. Dallas (5-3). Marion Barber III's pretty darned good for a fourth-round draft pick.

9. Atlanta (5-2). On his bye week, Michael Vick attached a lot of electrodes to his hamstrings and calves and ankles and said: "Hang in there for three more months! Hang in there!"

10. Carolina (5-2). Steve Smith's averaging 114 receiving yards a game.

11. Philadelphia (4-3). I can just hear Angelo Cataldi on WIP: "Philadelphia!" he will howl. "It is officially time to be worried about this team!" And everyone from Jeff Lurie on down, whether they admit it or not, will agree.

12. Washington (4-3). You're kidding. Either those were impostors in the burgundy and white at Giants Stadium or the Giants are the '66 Packers.

13. Cincinnati (6-2). Sorry. Hanging on against the Pack didn't prove much to me.

14. Tampa Bay (5-2). Wow. That is one pathetic offense.

15. (tie) Kansas City (4-3). Not a bad run-defense game in San Diego.

15. (tie) Jacksonville (4-3). Next five games all are against losing teams.

a. Merril Hoge's analysis Sunday morning on the EA Sports NFL Matchup show, highlighting LaVar Arrington playing outside linebacker, inside linebacker and defensive end against San Francisco. Hoge said Arrington was consistently attacking the backfield, and predicted he'd be a big factor against Eli Manning in the Redskins-Giants first-place NFC East matchup. Great illustration of what Arrington brings to a defense, even though he didn't bring it when the Giants nipped the Redskins by 36.

4. I think this is what I didn't like about Week 8:

g. The Redskins. All of them.

h. The Eagles. All of them.

5. I think the biggest surprise of the first half of the NFL season is that the Eagles might be the worst team in the NFC East. Might be, I said. I'm not burying them yet. But that's a pretty big game on Sunday night in Washington. Might be worth attending, in fact.

Wow, I'm surprised we didn't drop out of his Fine 15, or whatever he calls it.

And would he please remove his mouth from Tedy Bruschi's package. That's great he made a tackle on his first play back, so now let's induct him into the HoF and canonize him as a saint, okay Peter? I don't know who has a bigger man-crush, Queen for Bruschi or Madden for Favre?

Wow, I'm surprised we didn't drop out of his Fine 15, or whatever he calls it.

And would he please remove his mouth from Tedy Bruschi's package. That's great he made a tackle on his first play back, so now let's induct him into the HoF and canonize him as a saint, okay Peter? I don't know who has a bigger man-crush, Queen for Bruschi or Madden for Favre?

the guy came back from a stroke :doh:

I watched that game, they did show the replay of the Bruschi tackle. A couple of times.

I think it's a good story that bruschi has come back from a stroke. My only gripe about the coverage on ESPN last night was when Suzy kolber was interviewing people on the sideline, and they cut the screen in half (maybe more than half). Like clockwork, both times they did an interview, there was a sack & a fumble. When you're gambling on a game, you notice things like this......

As for the skins, i'm surprised how easy we've gotten off so far. Primetime chalked it up to the giants winning it for Mara. Everybody knows that we're not as good as we showed last week, and we're not as bad as we looked yesterday. It will all be forgotten when we beat Philly.

a stoke is a stroke, either one can do a considerable amount of damage, the fact a person was able to have a stroke and then play a game like football again at a high level is amazing

i agree this is a big deal, but we don't need minute by minute updates of teddy scratching his package on the sidelines. i don't think ted wants this kind of attention either.

Guest sith lord
Contrary to what youve heard, theres no such thing as a "minor" stroke. Basically all that means is he wasn't paralyzed from it for life. Doesn't mean that it wasn't a MAJOR health concern just because it was a "minor" stroke.

There's "big" strokes and "small" strokes. My stepfather has had a couple of "small" stokes and you couldn't tell he has had any. Don't get me wrong, there all serious, but some are more serious than others.

Archived