Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations from a 2nd Viewing of the Giants Game

bobzmuda

OBSERVATIONS

- Redskins Luck: Redskins fumbled 3 times and lost all 3 in Redskins territory; Giants fumbled 2 times and recovered both.

- It's been beaten to death, but the lack of a pass rush is disconcerting. There isn't a pass rusher on the roster that the D can count on to beat an OL 1 on 1. Clemons and Washington can beat a 1 on 1 on occasion, but most pressure comes by design.

- 1st tiki run - Holdman blocked; Daniels good job holding point of attack; Harris blocked; Taylor might be thinking Tiki cut it up since assumed Harris would have the outside. Harris and Taylor are to blame for this long run.

- The big goat of this game has to go to Harris. He showed no break on the ball, despite playing several yards off. There's more Harris criticism later.

- Redskins Luck pt 2 - Plax catch on the sidelines early in the game was definitely OOB, his knee was out and he bobbled the ball as he was rolling OOB.

- Harris looked clueless in pass coverage biting on some bad route fakes (Toomer In route)

- Harris falls down on a blitz when could have hit Eli for a big loss on a sack

- Ryan Clark is a tough guy; puts his nose in there blitzing up the middle and helping in run support; not the most physically gifted guy, but Williams can count on him.

- Brunell wasn't seeing the field well; eyes started moving towards the rush; we saw this last year; instead of looking to get rid of the ball he starts looking at the rushers and tucks his head and the ball. He got a bit better as the game went on, but he was rattled early for some reason.

- LaVar was getting off blocks well, hustling well, but missed a tackle on the Shockey TD; Holdman played poorly not getting off blocks or disrupting the play. You should see LaVar starting in most packages this week.

- Score at the end of the first quarter was only 6-0; Defense screwed up on the first long Tiki run but played okay outside of that. What really blew up the scoreboard was the Redskins inability to switch field position and turning the ball over on its own side of the field. The Giants started 4 drives in Redskins territory and came up with 20 of their 36 points on those drives.

- Second long Tiki Run - Harris blitzed but got caught looking at Eli, hoping to get a sack instead of seeing the ball; he gave up a huge gashing hole to Barber on the cutback; Holdman got washed inside but I suspect that Williams wants his LBs flying to the ball; DE Demetric Evans got pushed in but played his assignment; you can chalk this one up to Walt Harris for knowing he was going to blitz and trying to get the sack to make up for his previous missed sack and not seeing the ball. The end man can't give up contain. This one is all on Harris as he had a free run to Tiki.

- I wonder if the constant emphasis on turnovers and sacks is causing the defense to lose their assignments and try for the big play? If so, I'd think Williams should just forget trying to over-emphasize turnovers and make sure the defense plays its assignments and quit trying for the big play.

- Joe Salavea is a warrior. Played most of the game on that painful foot when Noble and Griffin were out. He wasn't holding up well against double teams, but he wasn't getting blown up either. The interior run D was okay against base hand-offs.

- Brandon Jacobs TD; Marshall runs out to protect against the sweep, Sean Taylor forces it back inside after missing the leg tackle and Renaldo Wynn overpursues allowing Jacobs to go inside of him for the TD. Doh.

- It's amazing how the dropsies are contagious. After seeing how well the receivers have been performing all year they made some big drops. Perhaps none bigger than David Patten's drop on 3rd & 14 to the 50 yard line after a Portis missed block on a safety blitz and a good scramble and throw by Brunell. That catch might have given the offense some momentum.

- Boschetti seems to be real solid in one on one situations against the OL; but he can't anchor against the double team as well as Noble, Griffin, or Salavea.

- Daniels did a great job sniffing out a screen; that's why Williams loves him, because he's a smart, fundamentally sound, albeit not the most gifted, player.

- Redskins Luck 3: The illegal formation call with 5 minutes left was about as funny as you can get. The official called illegal formation as #75 was uncovered on the end of the line of scrimmage without reporting as an eligible. Funny thing is the Redskins have no #75 on the active roster. What's more is that the Robert Royal (#88) and Mike Sellers (#45) were the ends on the LOS and both have eligible numbers and there were 7 guys on the LOS. I have no clue how the Head Linesman came up with that call. I think he thought he saw that, dropped his flag, realized he was wrong and then started making **** up to cover his ass instead of admitting he wasn't sure. The Ref just trusted his official, as he should. A struggling Redskins offense loses a 6 yard gain on first down and is put into 1st and 15. Moss fumbles a few plays later on the same screen play that has been so effective for the Skins this year.

- The defense was obviously missing lots of tackles and overpursuing. Again I wonder if this is pressing to make a big play.

- Redskins only held the ball for 9 minutes of the 30 minutes of the first half.

- Interior traps seem to be working well against the Redskins non-blitzing defense since Blache teaches his DL to anchor instead of trying to penetrate. No DL shoots through the gap and the pulling lineman usually gets movement at the point of attack. This results in a solid gain.

WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT NEXT WEEK

- Look for lots of tosses to Westbrook test the Redskins corners (especially Harris) on contain. Reid doesn't like to run, but the toss has burned the Redskins on multiple big plays.

- Look for a few designed zone, cutback runs (i.e. zone running play to the right but the backside T/TE collapses the DE/LB to the playside giving the RB a huge cutback lane

- More of the 3-4 against the Eagles' pass-heavy offense with LaVar and Chris Clemons being used extensively to rush. Luckily for the Redskins' injury situaton at DT the Eagles love to throw. Look for Williams to continue to play a lot of 3-4 to give his DT's some rest.

- Demetric Evans likely earned some more playing time

- If Rogers is healthy, he'll likely get the start over Harris who looked absolutely lost out there

- Last year Williams played the Eagles straight up most of the time in their second matchup, blitzing very seldomly. I suspect he'll try to get some early pressures on McNabb to get him off balance and then lay back in the same zones and man-zones as last year.

- Who knows what to expect with the offense, they were on the field so little and everyone screwed up so big, it was hard to get a grasp on what was happening.

The points are all valid with the exception of one (great analysis).

It isn't "bad luck" when the refs rule an incompletion a catch...it's the fault of your challenge system. There was no excuse to not throw the red flag on that play. None.

Other than that, you're perfectly right on everything you say. I think the Eagles will be watching the film and finding ways to exploit our D.

I agree w/ everything you said. I noticed on Fox replays of big gains for the Giants, Walt Harris was always in the picture looking like, "What just happened?" Every bad play against the defense, #27 was always coming up the rear.

Also, TE Royal dropped so many passes, I though he had hooves for hands. He's only good for one 1st down a game. Don't expect more from him. Redskins in the offseason, really need to add another catching TE who can block when needed. :eaglesuck

Your a brave man to be able to go back for a second viewing. (I can't even stand to read the articles.) Your analysis is spot on; however, I agree with the others that Harris should rebound, he's played solid up untill yesterday. We really got exposed yesterday, I hope we can correct these weak areas everyone will be attacking from now on. If anyone can do it, it's this coaching staff.

The points are all valid with the exception of one (great analysis).

It isn't "bad luck" when the refs rule an incompletion a catch...it's the fault of your challenge system. There was no excuse to not throw the red flag on that play. None.

Other than that, you're perfectly right on everything you say. I think the Eagles will be watching the film and finding ways to exploit our D.

You're right. The coaching staff seemed about as much as in the fog as the players for most of the game. I still can't believe that when in comeback mode when everyone in the stadium knows the pass is coming, Gibbs still has Ramsey or Brunell execute play action fakes with their back to the defense - it doesn't fool anyone and it just gives the QB even less time to survey the field.

While your attacks on Walt Harris were justified for his performance yesterday, don't be so quick to write him off. He had played very, very well earlier this season (arguably better than springs). Hopefully we can just chalk this up as a bad day for Walt.

I haven't written him off at all. I still think he's a solid corner, he just had a horrible, horrible day. It looked like he was doing a lot of thinking instead of just playing. Still, if Rogers is healthy you can't reward Harris by starting him the week after that performance.

I am amazed anyone would subject themselves to a second viewing. Have you considered therapy?

Heh. It wasn't that bad actually. The team played so poorly it didn't even look like a Redskins game to me. Or maybe it's just all those years of training watch the Norv Turner Redskins that has hardened me.

Good Job!

Those flags got on my nerves!

I know we commited most of those penaltys, but I saw several holds, block in the back, and the Giants didn't called for them.

That left side totally killled us. I think all three of Tiki's big plays came from that side.

The worst part about this game is that the Giants just wrote the blueprint of how to beat the skins.

What? Have your beloved owner die earlier in the week? Have the Redskins continue to make stupid mistakes? Those were probably the biggest factors in the magnitude of this loss. The Giants played well on offense, but the Redskins defense helped them out a good bit with some sloppy, sloppy play. The Redskins also offense helped out also by not holding the ball and turning the ball over 3 times in Redskins territory.

You're right however in the sense that Redskins continue to make the same stupid mistakes on the same plays. Over and over and over. Opponents would be smart to just copy those plays.

On a random note, I saw the Patriots steal Joe Gibbs WR slip-screen pass last night. Pasquarelli wouldn't acknowledge the fact that the mighty Patriots could actually learn something from the Redskins.

The worst part about this game is that the Giants just wrote the blueprint of how to beat the skins. Expect more of the same. Not sure these problems can be fixed in a week.

This is a great comment, but it could be a positive instead of a negative. Having been exposed the way we were, the offense and defense are going to have to work on some new things. The coaches will definitely find ways to correct some of these mistakes.

What I find most disconcerting about the loss was the lack of effort or heart. We laid down for that team. I never thought I'd see a Gibbs team lay down for a division opponent like that with first place on the line. It makes me wonder whether this coaching staff is getting through to the players. What really shocked me was seeing so many Skins players talking and laughing with the Giants players after that loss. They should have hightailed it off of that field. That was really disturbing. Sean Taylor left that field as fast as any player I've ever seen. LaVar immediately did some interview with someone.

I am amazed anyone would subject themselves to a second viewing. Have you considered therapy?

LOL...I had the same thought when I read the title of the thread. Watching it once was painful enough for me...anyone who went back for a second look needs help :D

Seriously, very nice analysis bobzmuda!!!

Good analysis with one glaring exception. There is no way Coach Williams wanted Holdman to move that far inside on the second run by Tiki. Tiki went right through Holdmans area of responsibility and where was Holdman? Answer, getting blocked about ten yards out of position. If Gregg Williams philosophy of nobody being above the hook is true, Holdman gets the hook this week. Bowen got the hook after missing several sure tackles against Denver. Holdman absolutely deserves the hook more than anyone on this defense. I honestly believe Zack Keasey would do a better job than Holdman has done to this point, no joke.

Good analysis with one glaring exception. There is no way Coach Williams wanted Holdman to move that far inside on the second run by Tiki. Tiki went right through Holdmans area of responsibility and where was Holdman? Answer, getting blocked about ten yards out of position.

Perhaps, but Arrington made the EXACT some play on Gore's cutback run - overpursued to the point of attack. I think that is what Williams wants (but also wanting his DL and CBs to keep outside contain) but obviously can't be sure.

If Gregg Williams philosophy of nobody being above the hook is true, Holdman gets the hook this week. Bowen got the hook after missing several sure tackles against Denver. Holdman absolutely deserves the hook more than anyone on this defense. I honestly believe Zack Keasey would do a better job than Holdman has done to this point, no joke.

Holdman is like a blocking magnet. He just draws blockers to him and gets stuck until the ball is by him. He's decent and forcing the run in, but he doesn't make any kind of play on the ball.

I'm just curious to why we didn't try to attack downfield early with a few deep ones..

Why didn't the Redskins attack downfield on Dallas until the last 3 minutes?

Joe Gibbs philosophy is to throw 2 yard passes...he did it against Dallas and he did it yesterday. That makes it EASY for teams to have 9-10 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Happens every week and it will happen against Philly. Just watch. 2 yard passes and Portis plowing into the line left...Portis plowing into the line right. It is so unimaginative. Its bland. ITS BORING. And its predictable. Its last years offense!

Archived