Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions on Warrick Holdman...

SkinsCrunkin

After listening to speculation for about 3-4 weeks as to why LaVar Arrington wasn't playing I sat back and kept quiet. My love for this team and my belief that the coaches are always right is what kept me this way. LaVar had a breakout week last week. So what... we played the 49rs (although they must not be as bad as we thought as they beat the Bucs today.) The coaches thought that Warrick Holdman was the better player as of right now because he had longer in the system and was able to play more in it than LaVar because LaVar was hurt during the offseason.

After today though I am no longer willing to sit back and watch Warrick Holdman be out of position or be unable to get off a block, and still support Greg Williams and Greg Blache in their decision to start him and play him more than our Franchise linebacker. Let me go back as far as the Denver game to prove on many occasions where Warrick Holdman hurt us.

In the Broncos game, the first Tatum Bell run for a TD. Warrick Holdman, instead of filling because Daniels forced him back inside, got hooked and Bell sprung for a TD. On the second Bell TD run, Holdman's backside pursuit was so slow that I'm convinced Big Daddy Wilkinson could have pursued faster.

The next week we played the Chiefs, and to our credit we played very well. There was one huge screen play though that absolutely killed us. If you go back to the replay, Holdman is getting blocked for what seems like an eternity, and is not able to get off the block until Holmes is 10 yards past him upfield.

The 49rs game was overall played well by everyone, and we saw a lot more LaVar in that game than we saw of Holdman.

Up to today I was still supporting the rotation of the two though, and hoped that Holdman would show me more than he had up to this point. If you want to blame LaVar for blowing assignments though, than Holdman should be benched next week for his play today. On the first play from scrimmage the job of a OLB is to string out the play and force Barber inside. Instead Holdman took a direct pursuit, was picked up easily, and allowed Barber outside to bust it for a big gain, and almost a score.

This wouldn't be the only big play though. Later in the game Eli would hand it off to Barber who would run it up the middle, or at least make it appear that way, until the line had set up for a cut back. An OLB's job on this play would be to watch the cut back lane and allow the MLB and DL to fill and stop the run. The DL plugged up the middle, but if you go to the replay you see Holdman further inside to the line than MLB Lemar Marshall, as soon as the DL is sealed, Barber bounces outside and there is no one insight because Harris had been sent on the blitz. Harris still almost makes a play for Holdman, but is unable to due to the fact that he took the blitz a little to wide. Regardless, the person that should have been in the cut-back line would be Holdman. Marshall then beat Holdman back outside but was unable to make the play and Clark tackled Tiki at the one. Numerous other runs went to Holdmans side and it seems if you ever want to break a big play, that is the side to go to.

The guy looks terrible while he is playing, missing tackles, missing assignments, and doesn't have the big play ability. I am not only officially on the LaVar bandwagon, but I want Holdman on the bench the rest of the year. His play has been absolutely terrible and warrants nothing other than being benched.

Opinions wanted on this because there are of course things I'm sure I have still missed. I'd also like to add that I think Clemons played very very well today when I saw him, and is starting to be someone we could rely on. Stand together fans, we'll turn it around next week and get things going. HTTR :helmet:

this is the #1 thing burning me up right now, i was so pissed watching the game because it was soooo obvious that the giants knew where to run the ball, to the left. Arrington could certainly do no worse, and whatever GW is thinking is beyond me at this point...just play your best players

No he is bad and you can go back farther i've been rewatching his play everygame and its sad. Go watch the Seattle game same stuff. The 49er game watch the Barlow run with Holdman being manhandled instead of filling and thier are numourous other plays that game.

Holdman is'nt athletic at all and can't run thats just the thruth. He has overpursued badly the last few weeks burning us. His biggest problem is he can't get off a block to save his life,literally the players and coaches have to see this in meetings.

I don't care if they don't wanna start LA then start Clemons or Cambell,Keasey but I promise you they'll do a better job because atleast they can run.

For what it is worth Holdman was benched for the second half and Arrington was in his spot.

I'll buy that, and I'll also add that there were no huge runs to LaVar's side that I can see from my taping of the game when LaVar came in for him. I would really like to see GW address this issue sooner rather than later.

i have not been impressed all season. Lavar has been messing up as well, but he also has better recovery and clearly is a better player overall. We are not even halfway done with the season yet, and if Lavar can get back into the rhythm now when we need him, he should not make as many mistakes from here on, and will flat out out-play Holdman. Holdman seems to get beat a lot (notice how they tend to run to the left a lot?).

I don't want to "hate" on Holdman. He's just not of the same caliber as LaVar. What good is a linebacker if he's "in position" but consistently blocked by runningbacks and wide receivers and is unable to shed them?

Williams and Blache are quickly running out of excuses of why LaVar is not starting and playing a significant portion of the game.

But I'm sure they'll keep on trying. :rolleyes:

i wouldn't say holdman is a bad player...he's just consistantly mediocre.

At this point, I would. He has consistently failed to get off blocks that cost us big chunks of yardage, he is absolutely inneffective as a blitzer(might as well send Deon), and he has blown his lane assignment numerous times which is the coach's main gripe about Lavar.

Granted everyone made mistakes today, but Holdman has consistently done so all year. He simply has no real upside as far as I can see. He needs to sit.

After listening to speculation for about 3-4 weeks as to why LaVar Arrington wasn't playing I sat back and kept quiet. My love for this team and my belief that the coaches are always right is what kept me this way. LaVar had a breakout week last week. So what... we played the 49rs (although they must not be as bad as we thought as they beat the Bucs today.)

Maybe the 49ers are a bit better then we thought, but I think mostly the reason of them winning today was attributed to the Bucs not playing anyone all year, and basically not being a good football team in general. They're complete garbage, espiecially with Simms in there. However, when the play us I'm sure Rattey will be ready to light us up. :bucsuck: :bucsuck: :bucsuck:

Holdman or Arrington don't make a difference to people having success running left. Both are the Weak side LB which means they line up on the side without the TE, which could be either end. Only the D-Line makes a difference per side. That is my first point.

My second point is that I did not see any great plays from Arrington today either. Shockey ran right through Arrington's tackle for his TD.

So while I am not a Holdman fan, per say, I am not completely sure this is really all his fault. Today's loss was a team effort, both offensive and defensive. Don't go hanging this one one guy or one coach.

At this point, I would. He has consistently failed to get off blocks that cost us big chunks of yardage, he is absolutely inneffective as a blitzer(might as well send Deon), and he has blown his lane assignment numerous times which is the coach's main gripe about Lavar.

Granted everyone made mistakes today, but Holdman has consistently done so all year. He simply has no real upside as far as I can see. He needs to sit.

I hear ya. I don't want to get all over Holdman, I think he is mediocre not sucksville. It's just that the Redskins have had a lot of really good linebacker in the last several years and Holdman suffers badly from comparison & not just from Lavar. Bottom line is the cleveland browns let Holdman go as a starter, & he was never meant to be anything but depth here. Glad the team is done pretending otherwise.

:gaintsuck Well I think the fact that Holdman couldn't even make the team in Chicago and Cleveland speaks volumes. I also saw that Griffin didn't play that much or at all. This was an ugly loss regardless. I think the death of Mara had alot to do with it and I also think Pierce knew more then they gave him credit for. Coughlin was also Brunnell's coach for years so he knows his tendencies and had coached the Giants up. What this embarrasing loss should do is put a chip on our shoulders the eagles will be very fired up next week and this is a clear indication of whether we truly are a playoff team. 4-3 isn't that bad compared to 5-2 but I think until we totally control the game next week we all are wondering about this team, I personally couldn't see anything good coming out of this game and all the interviews I have seen I see no anger. Perhaps that speaks volumes and to end this rant Warrick Holdman is a bumb. I am not sure how he has made it this long in the league. I would rather have McCune take up a roster spot that that bumb, he should be joining Antonio Brown in the unemployment line. :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :2cents:

Archived