Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants 36, Redskins 0

Eagle091

http://www.silive.com/sportsflash/metro/index.ssf?/base/sports-7/1130717343220912.xml&storylist=sisports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Tiki Barber put the finishing touch on the best running day of his career, then made one of the most important runs for the New York Giants.

Barber scored late in the third quarter of the New York Giants' 36-0 rout of the Washington Redskins on Sunday, ran straight to the Giants sideline and presented the ball to Tim McDonnell, grandson of owner Wellington Mara, who died of cancer Tuesday at 89.

"I told him, 'This is for you, this is for your grandfather,'" Barber said after the game. "It was a big day and a special day for me, especially considering the events of the past week. It's something I'll never forget."

Two days after attending an emotional farewell to Mara at a packed funeral at New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Giants produced their best defensive effort of the season, forcing four turnovers and sacking Washington quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey five times.

The win was New York's first shutout in seven years and put the Giants atop the NFC East at 5-2.

Barber ran for 206 yards on 24 carries, and the veteran back's 4-yard touchdown run helped him surpass his previous single-game high of 203 yards set against Philadelphia at the end of the 2002 season.

He broke off a 57-yard run on the game's first play to set up the first of Jay Feely's five field goals, and had a 59-yard run later in the first half that led to a 3-yard touchdown by rookie Brandon Jacobs.

Barber, who visited Mara at his home the day before he died, had vowed to McDonnell that he would score a touchdown Sunday. He came close on the 59-yarder, but was hauled down at the 1-yard line by safety Ryan Clark.

Washington (4-3), a 52-17 winner over San Francisco a week earlier, managed just 34 yards in the first half and finished with 125. The Redskins didn't cross midfield until the last minute of the third quarter.

"I think we all realized what was at stake," said head coach Joe Gibbs. "We had talked about it all week, the big ballgame for us and for them there was a lot at stake. There was a lot riding on it and we didn't play well. I think we take a long hard look at ourselves, and it certainly starts with me."

Archived