Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Peek at the Week: Giants rolling on emotion

JimmiJo

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9009143

Peek at the Week: Giants rolling on emotion

Oct. 28, 2005

By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

After what the Giants experienced this week I'd hate to be the next team playing them. So this week's sympathy vote goes to Washington, a team in the right place at the wrong time.

The Redskins will play New York close -- heck, they play everyone but San Francisco close -- but I don't know how they compete with the flood of emotions that engulf the Giants' locker room. First, there was that last-second win over Denver. Then there was the loss of owner Wellington Mara. New York is a good team. Now they're a good team on a mission.

Quarterback Eli Manning hasn't lost at home this season and has 15 touchdown passes in his past seven starts. Now, I know what you're thinking: He hasn't faced a defense like Washington. That's fair enough, but the Giants have more weapons than Kansas City, and the Chiefs put 28 up on Washington. OK, so they did it thanks to three Redskins fumbles and linebacker LaVar Arrington did nothing more than make a couple of cameos that afternoon.

I still think there's too much here for Washington's defense or quarterback Mark Brunell to pull the upset. Granted, Brunell should take advantage of the league's 31st-ranked pass defense, but the Giants have too much going for them -- and I'm talking about playing at home, the emotion, Eli, you name it.

Mano a mano: Washington wide receiver Santana Moss vs. the Giants' cornerbacks, particularly Will Allen. Moss is a perfect fit for the Redskins' offense, producing 100 yards receiving in four of the past five games, and he's a perfect weapon Sunday. The Giants spotted opponents five 100-yard receivers in six games this season.

Injury update: The Giants this week put linebacker Barrett Green on injured reserve, shelving him for the year -- and maybe ending his career with the team. Green was no factor, playing only on special teams against St. Louis this season. Linebacker Carlos Emmons (slight pectoral tear) and wide receiver Plaxico Burress (shoulder) didn't practice Wednesday or Thursday, and both are listed as questionable. The Redskins have no serious injuries expected to keep starters out of Sunday's game.

The Redskins will play New York close -- heck, they play everyone but San Francisco close -- but I don't know how they compete with the flood of emotions that engulf the Giants' locker room. First, there was that last-second win over Denver. Then there was the loss of owner Wellington Mara. New York is a good team. Now they're a good team on a mission.

Please.

Did the Giants not care all of this time he was on his death bed? They knew last week that he wasn't going to come around. And if you listened to the interviews, after last week's game, they milked this death then.

Maybe doesn't "belong" in this thread, but I have had my fill. If Eli's last name wasn't Manning, how much attention does he get? He has a career LOSING record and is the 14th ranked QB in the league. And someone tell me the last time any QB named Manning won a big game. Pick any one of the 3!

I think it's fair to give him his due. Not necessarily to mean he's going to lead the Giants to a championship this year, but he's been steadily improving since he became their starter and that's impressive.

There might be SOME emotion from SOME Giant players (I'm sure many didn't even really know Mara).

However, whatever emotion there is, will last about part of the first quarter. Once the hitting really starts, both teams will settle down into the normal groove of a game.

I think it's fair to give him his due. Not necessarily to mean he's going to lead the Giants to a championship this year, but he's been steadily improving since he became their starter and that's impressive.

Not saying he isn't a decent quarterback, or even a pretty good one. His record is 5-8, has NEVER won a game on the road, and is ranked dead in the middle on almost every statistical category. So lets give him the due that a player with those statistics deserves.

Not saying he isn't a decent quarterback, or even a pretty good one. His record is 5-8, has NEVER won a game on the road, and is ranked dead in the middle on almost every statistical category. So lets give him the due that a player with those statistics deserves.

I tell you, he may not be there yet, but this kid is going to be a real major talent moving forward. However, they have to have people to throw to and they might want to pick up a defense along the way.

This guy should call my secretary and make an appointment to bite me. Wotta sac-o-crap, sheeesh

And as much respect as I have for WM and sympathy for his family, a week ago some of the guys on their team thought a "Wellington Mara" was the British car that Mr. Bean drives.

I agree. Eli Manning is not the best QB in the league. But people aren't trying to say he is. What they are saying is that for him to be playing this well after only 13 NFL starts is quite impressive.

:gaintsuck

Quarterback Eli Manning hasn't lost at home this season and has 15 touchdown passes in his past seven starts. Now, I know what you're thinking: He hasn't faced a defense like Washington. That's fair enough, but the Giants have more weapons than Kansas City, and the Chiefs put 28 up on Washington. OK, so they did it thanks to three Redskins fumbles and linebacker LaVar Arrington did nothing more than make a couple of cameos that afternoon.

He wants to blink over this as if it was not the reason they managed 28 points.

Giants are struggling to put 21 point on the board against any Defense worth talking about. Emotions work both ways... they may come emotionally pumped up, but then again, maybe they come in too far over the edge. For a team that been a bit erratic in their play... the "emotional" may be just what the Dr. ordered for the Skins.

The Skins on the other hand have been extremely consistant in moving the ball every time we touch it. Brunell has steadily improved his # of TDs, Yards per game, and completion rate each and every week since Dallas. Our offense has made strides in the positive direction each and every week, whether at home or on the road. Even our D, who has given up a few big plays this year, has made improvements each and every week in the right direction. And I refuse to count that last big run in SF against our entire second string defense.

I'm not saying this is a blow out by any stretch of the means. This will be a hard fought game possibly coming down to the wire. But I think that's where we actually have the advantage. Giants have only one down to the wire victory and it was just last week. They come with an emotional high, followed by the emotional drain. The Skins have 3, plus two down to the wire disappointments, but are coming off of a simple, confidance building victory, not an emotional high. We stay more level headded come crunch time and make the play needed to shut the Giants down!

Well according to the guy who wrote this article the Skins shouldn't even make that trip up I-95:rolleyes: . Emotions can only get you but so far they do wear off the game still has to be played I do expect come out with guns blazing . It's going to be critical how the Skins deal with that first wave of emotions but once it gets out the way we will see what will happen. Again, the media wants to see this team fail so they can justify their early predictions they feeling like fools right now.

OK, so if I have this right, the Giants will be motivated by Mara's death while we'll be motivated by playing an intra-divisional rival on the road for 1st place in the division.

Edge Giants?

Exactly.

The team needed a death to motivate themselves for a division game?

The way I see it, one proverbial punch in the mouth should take them down for the count of their collective psyche is that weak.

Archived