Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly Inquirer: Owens to ESPN: He and Westbrook need the ball more

tr1

Uh-oh...Philly better win this week and get him 10 or...well...uh...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BY BOB BROOKOVER

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13015806.htm

Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - Leave it to Terrell Owens to shed a different light on a sensitive situation.

While the rest of the world is wondering why the Eagles don't run the football more, the team's top wide receiver identified a different problem with the sputtering offense, which has scored just one touchdown in the last two games.

"They're not getting the ball in our hands enough," Owens said during a brief interview with ESPN on Wednesday. "Myself and (Brian) Westbrook are supposed to be playmakers, then that's what we need to do."

Westbrook, of course, has made his point that he would like to run the football more, and it's understandable why he feels that way. He has averaged just eight carries per game in the last three games and fewer than 11 carries per game this season. No top running back in the league is carrying the ball less often than Westbrook.

Owens, on the other hand, should have little reason to complain about the way the Eagles run the offense. He is tied with St. Louis' Torry Holt for the league lead in receptions with 44, and he's fifth in the league with 609 receiving yards.

A year ago, during one of his rare NFL seasons in Happyland, Owens had 10 fewer catches for 13 fewer yards after six games. He also had zero complaints about how often he was getting the football.

His touchdown total is down from eight to five, but the Eagles' overall touchdown total is down, too.

The other T.O. statistic that is down is his yards per catch. After six games a year ago, he was averaging 17.5 yards per catch. This season, he is averaging 13.8 yards per catch, which is almost a yard below his career average.

If Owens is looking for a reason that number is down by nearly 4 yards from last season, he need only look in the mirror. There have been times this season when extra yards were in front of the Eagles' star receiver and he has chosen to step out of bounds.

He is, however, still among the NFL league leaders in yards after catch with 233, ranking sixth.

There have been reports that Owens was unhappy that the Eagles did not pay him a scoreboard tribute at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday when he caught his 100th NFL touchdown pass in the second quarter against the Chargers.

Owens has stopped parking in the handicap spot at the Eagles' practice facility, but he still has the messiest locker of any player at the NovaCare Complex. He has boxes and other belongings that jut out more than three feet in front of his locker, which makes you believe he had a messy room as a child.

Nobody has complained about the mess, and nobody has asked him about it.

Other than his brief remarks to ESPN on Wednesday, his occasional interview with Michael Irvin and his weekly radio show with a Miami Herald sports columnist, Owens still isn't talking.

This would have been a good week to hear from him, too. T.O.'s matchup with Denver cornerback Champ Bailey is a great one.

Bailey "has always been an excellent cover corner," Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress said. "I tell you what I see him doing is I see him really kind of throwing his body in the breach. He's done ... a nice job of coming up on the run, which I don't think I really saw before."

The Eagles saw plenty of Bailey when he was the top cover cornerback with the Washington Redskins, but Owens rarely has gone against him. In fact, Bailey told reporters in Denver that this would be the first time he has been matched against T.O.

He didn't mind talking about it.

"I'm ready for him," said Bailey, who is still recovering from a left hamstring injury that prevented him from playing two games earlier this season. "You always look forward to facing guys like him."

Bailey said he wasn't always going against Owens when the Redskins faced the 49ers in 1999 and 2002. Owens had just three catches for 35 yards in two games against Washington when Bailey was there. T.O. also has had limited success in his career against the Broncos. In three games while with the 49ers, he caught 11 passes for 112 yards and one touchdown.

"He can be a sleeper," Bailey said. "Sometimes he may not do anything for a couple of series and then he explodes, and before you know it he has his six catches for 120 yards. He's going to make his plays. But you just have to be there to stop him, and I'm ready for it."

So is what he says not true??...He said it right, the last couple of games he and Westbrook have been quiet. Teams know we aren't running and they are adjusting accordingly and giving extra attention to taking the stuff away down the field.

The Eagles chances of winning are much better withe TO and Wbrook getting the ball.

I'm guessing if this was S. Moss saying this it would be looked at..what a warrior, he wants the ball. And he's being a leader etc...With TO, he's just trying to start trouble :rolleyes: , even though what he says is dead on.......Then again, you don't follow the Skins so you wouldn't care if S. Moss said something like that. ;)

Well, if this was an attempt to again promote your stance about Owens being selfish and greedy, I believe that we already have gotten the point. What's sad about this is the fact that both Theo and Terps basically agreed with his belief that he needs the ball more as well as do I.

Okay, so now that its agreed that he wants the ball....what now?

Uh-oh...Philly better win this week and get him 10 or...well...uh...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BY BOB BROOKOVER

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13015806.htm

Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - Leave it to Terrell Owens to shed a different light on a sensitive situation.

While the rest of the world is wondering why the Eagles don't run the football more, the team's top wide receiver identified a different problem with the sputtering offense, which has scored just one touchdown in the last two games.

"They're not getting the ball in our hands enough," Owens said during a brief interview with ESPN on Wednesday. "Myself and (Brian) Westbrook are supposed to be playmakers, then that's what we need to do."

Westbrook, of course, has made his point that he would like to run the football more, and it's understandable why he feels that way. He has averaged just eight carries per game in the last three games and fewer than 11 carries per game this season. No top running back in the league is carrying the ball less often than Westbrook.

Owens, on the other hand, should have little reason to complain about the way the Eagles run the offense. He is tied with St. Louis' Torry Holt for the league lead in receptions with 44, and he's fifth in the league with 609 receiving yards.

A year ago, during one of his rare NFL seasons in Happyland, Owens had 10 fewer catches for 13 fewer yards after six games. He also had zero complaints about how often he was getting the football.

His touchdown total is down from eight to five, but the Eagles' overall touchdown total is down, too.

The other T.O. statistic that is down is his yards per catch. After six games a year ago, he was averaging 17.5 yards per catch. This season, he is averaging 13.8 yards per catch, which is almost a yard below his career average.

If Owens is looking for a reason that number is down by nearly 4 yards from last season, he need only look in the mirror. There have been times this season when extra yards were in front of the Eagles' star receiver and he has chosen to step out of bounds.

He is, however, still among the NFL league leaders in yards after catch with 233, ranking sixth.

There have been reports that Owens was unhappy that the Eagles did not pay him a scoreboard tribute at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday when he caught his 100th NFL touchdown pass in the second quarter against the Chargers.

Owens has stopped parking in the handicap spot at the Eagles' practice facility, but he still has the messiest locker of any player at the NovaCare Complex. He has boxes and other belongings that jut out more than three feet in front of his locker, which makes you believe he had a messy room as a child.

Nobody has complained about the mess, and nobody has asked him about it.

Other than his brief remarks to ESPN on Wednesday, his occasional interview with Michael Irvin and his weekly radio show with a Miami Herald sports columnist, Owens still isn't talking.

This would have been a good week to hear from him, too. T.O.'s matchup with Denver cornerback Champ Bailey is a great one.

Bailey "has always been an excellent cover corner," Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress said. "I tell you what I see him doing is I see him really kind of throwing his body in the breach. He's done ... a nice job of coming up on the run, which I don't think I really saw before."

The Eagles saw plenty of Bailey when he was the top cover cornerback with the Washington Redskins, but Owens rarely has gone against him. In fact, Bailey told reporters in Denver that this would be the first time he has been matched against T.O.

He didn't mind talking about it.

"I'm ready for him," said Bailey, who is still recovering from a left hamstring injury that prevented him from playing two games earlier this season. "You always look forward to facing guys like him."

Bailey said he wasn't always going against Owens when the Redskins faced the 49ers in 1999 and 2002. Owens had just three catches for 35 yards in two games against Washington when Bailey was there. T.O. also has had limited success in his career against the Broncos. In three games while with the 49ers, he caught 11 passes for 112 yards and one touchdown.

"He can be a sleeper," Bailey said. "Sometimes he may not do anything for a couple of series and then he explodes, and before you know it he has his six catches for 120 yards. He's going to make his plays. But you just have to be there to stop him, and I'm ready for it."

Your gimmick is getting quite old. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Man, this is truly groundbreaking information.

I'm glad we have an article, selectively highlighted no less, to confirm the fact that Terrell Owens wants the ball.

I still have some reservations that Terrell Owens is an African-American. Tr1, do you have time to search for an article that states this explicitly? Be sure to highlight the section that does, otherwise, I just don't think I can believe my eyes.

Fellas, fellas...I guess your beef should be with the writer of this article.

I don't make up the news...

And from a Philly newspaper, no less.

Face it, TO is festering wound...you're FO gambled on him, thinking he was the missing part to winning a SB...didn't work out that way did it?

It's gonna get uglier...they'd better get him the ball ten times.

Archived